1 ... 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 ... 1508
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/18/21 7:16 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

If it makes you feel better, they'll be dead in less than 10 years.

They are going to hate lacing up those metatarsal safety boots.  

Tying laces underneath the steel flap is annoying.   

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/19/21 2:01 p.m.

Wanted to hit the DRSCCA rallycross next weekend so I can get as much seat time as possible before Nationals.

Problem.  Event was this weekend, not next weekend.

Susquehanna and DCR have events next weekend, but I am not sure I feel like driving The Bitch five hours each way.  And having not run with them much/at all, I don't know if they are "we start at 8am on the dot" or "yeah, it's 10:30 and we just now opened registration"...

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
9/19/21 4:09 p.m.

Converse all stars are up to $60 a pair. I need some new ones but that's too much for Chucks. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/19/21 6:29 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

Holy nuts.

Do they even still make the leather ones with a fuzzy liner?  Those are awesome in winter.  Bonus is the top two eyelets are hooks, like boots, for fast R&R.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
9/20/21 8:40 a.m.

So after hearing nothing since last Monday from the electrician about what was going on with fixing the cabin's electrical system, I finally got ahold of him Saturday morning. Apparently the rain early last week had made the hill they are going to have to run the new line up too slippery to work on so they hadn't been able to do anything yet. I say 'apparently' because while yes, the hill is a pain when wet, it seemed weird that the whole week would be lost because of it. But, hey- good news, Saturday was nice and dry and sunny and he said they hoped to have it done then or the following day (yesterday) at the latest. I begged him to please call us and let us know when they finished working Saturday what the status of thing were since we had been planning to go out to the cabin this weekend- we've not been out there for over 2 months because The Dancer's emergency gallbladder surgery happened 2 days before we were supposed to go out last month. 

Of course- no call or text from him Saturday, and nothing Sunday either. We figured 'Berk it,' and headed out to the Gorge to visit a waterfall and then head to the cabin- figuring even if things aren't working completely we can still at least sit out on the deck and enjoy being out there. Get out to the cabin- other than the cover on the breaker under the cabin being off, it looks like zero work has been done and of course the pump and HVAC are still not working. Icing on the cake? It stormed when we were out there and is supposed to be a chance of rain until Wednesday- so they're likely to say they can't work on it at all this week either- and there were guests supposed to check in this afternoon for the entire week, meaning at best if they get the electrical fixed at the end of the week we'll still have lost half a month's rental income PLUS have to pay for the repairs- meaning we stand a good chance of losing money on the cabin his month.

I really hate dealing with most of the people in the area where the cabin is. There are some very competent people there- but they cannot communicate worth a E36 M3. I'd be wholly unsurprised if some emergency call had come in Saturday that the electrician had to deal with instead of working on our job- I'm guessing that they put a higher priority on occupied residences than rental cabins- and I can understand that. But for crying out loud- at least drop me a quick call or a text to tell me as much if you're not going to be doing what you said you would be. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/20/21 12:31 p.m.
gearheadmb said:

Converse all stars are up to $60 a pair. I need some new ones but that's too much for Chucks. 

What size?

Ashyukun (Robert)
9/20/21 2:27 p.m.

*sigh* Finally got ahold of the electrician... according to him, one of his daughter's classmates had tested positive for Covid so they'd all had to quarantine until their tests came back negative which was why nothing got done over the weekend. The Dancer thinks he's full of E36 M3 and just making an excuse for not getting things done and is upset I didn't call him out on it- but I don't think that would have gotten things done any more quickly. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/20/21 2:40 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

*sigh* Finally got ahold of the electrician... according to him, one of his daughter's classmates had tested positive for Covid so they'd all had to quarantine until their tests came back negative which was why nothing got done over the weekend. The Dancer thinks he's full of E36 M3 and just making an excuse for not getting things done and is upset I didn't call him out on it- but I don't think that would have gotten things done any more quickly. 

I mean......it could be bull but you are right, calling him out on it isn't gonna change anything

Ashyukun (Robert)
9/20/21 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah. There are times where the best course of action is to call someone on their BS, but I tend to only do it if it's actually going to be productive.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
9/20/21 3:06 p.m.

Oldest son turned 12, which apparently in my state means he is now 100% responsible for his own health care. WTF? I can no longer refill his meds (a tightly controlled substance) via my own account, or the insurance app. I have to call the nurse hotline every single month on his behalf. Which takes roughly TWO HOURS to get through now. It used to take five minutes to send an email to the doctor then request a refill via the pharmacy online. I can't be the only parent asking WTF about this.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/20/21 3:37 p.m.

In reply to slefain :

You could could always do what I did, and buy it off of Craigslist and hope you don't die. Seriously, insurance was so berked or nonexistant that I bought it off of Craigslist.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/20/21 6:10 p.m.

Bauer band saw managed to cut through two and an eighth pipes before it let all the smoke out.  Looks like it was the switch.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
9/20/21 6:44 p.m.
Appleseed said:
gearheadmb said:

What size?

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
9/20/21 8:58 p.m.

If it takes 3 levels of corporate management above store manager to fire an employee, the store manager is NOT the store manager.

Dana quit her job Saturday. She was nice enough to wait until the end of her shift instead of just turning around and walking out. That's not the rant.

The rant is how convoluted and berkeleyed up Speedway/711 management structure is that has led up to this.

In her store, she was low level management. Then there was a useless lump above her, another useless lump above that, then a neutered store manager, then regional, district, HR, etc. The useless lump directly above her gave family (that shouldn't even work there according to corporate) preferential treatment and shifts, NEVER covered shifts which as a salary manager is explicitly in her job description, and was barely a warm body when she actually showed up to work. But because of the corporate manager clusterberkeley is STILL immune from being fired, despite being personally named and called out to corporate by the 20 or so employees she drove out of the store by being a useless lump just in the past year.

Corporate policies and politics are some of the stupidest, most disgustingly useless things created by man kind. Right up there with top 40 music, politicians, and 4 lane highways with 35mph speed limits.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/20/21 11:22 p.m.
gearheadmb said:
Appleseed said:
gearheadmb said:

What size?

Are you opposed to used (not trashed?)

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/20/21 11:31 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

Yeah. There are times where the best course of action is to call someone on their BS, but I tend to only do it if it's actually going to be productive.

I'm trying to learn that level.of restraint.

My friends refer to my standard level of anger towards  bullE36 M3 as "heads on stakes". It's effective at times and terrible in others

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
9/21/21 4:50 a.m.
Appleseed said:
gearheadmb said:
Appleseed said:
gearheadmb said:

What size?

Are you opposed to used (not trashed?)

I appreciate the offer, but I think I'm gonna try out these $23 knockoffs

Evil megacorp

Ashyukun (Robert)
9/21/21 7:23 a.m.

I just really don't like conflict, and do my best to avoid it when there's either clearly nothing to be gained by it. There are exceptions to that of course- some things just need to be called out and pushed back on regardless of personal loss/gain.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/21/21 7:56 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to slefain :

You could could always do what I did, and buy it off of Craigslist and hope you don't die. Seriously, insurance was so berked or nonexistant that I bought it off of Craigslist.

The 12-year-old part is not an insurance thing at all.  That's a HIPAA thing, which is 100% government-driven (and therefore, theoretically citizen-driven) thing.  We asked for that E36 M3.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/21/21 8:14 a.m.

GM: We plan to have 30 electric vehicles in our lineup by 2025

Also GM: We catalog one electric vehicle, we can't sell it right now because they keep catching fire, and we can't figure it out so we are considering buying back all of the EVs we've sold.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/21/21 8:38 a.m.
Duke said:

That's a HIPAA thing,

Thank you for spelling it right.  Seeing it spelled HIPPA tends to tell me the type of person I am dealing with recently.

Ashyukun (Robert)
9/21/21 10:20 a.m.

So, I've been trying to be better recently about cutting down on the amount of plastic waste I generate. Yeah, I know that individual people's contributions pale in comparison to what big companies generate- but there's no point in making things worse if I don't have to. So I've been looking for non-plastic/refillable options for common things we use. We picked up a nice starter kit of household cleaning products that use refillable bottles and concentrated tabs for the cleaners (with reusable metal tins for things like dish & laundry soap) that has been working well, and I got some samples of some shampoo & shaving bars (I'm still wrestling between finding refillable body wash or going the obvious, lower-tech route of just going back to using bar soap...). 

Given this, I was pleased to see that Old Spice and Secret had just released refillable deoderant & antiperspirants. Yay! Until I looked a bit closer and realized that a) the refillable one is 2oz vs. the 3oz that their normal sticks are and b) that the refillable dispenser (with one stick inside) costs twice what the non-refillable ones cost- and even the refills are, by weight, twice the cost of the 'disposable' ones. -_-

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/21/21 10:23 a.m.

Well, the covid test came back negative, which is a win I guess. I'm thinking I picked up the flu from somewhere. Whatever it was, it kicked my ass for 36 hours.

Now my rant is that I've been eating nothing but soup for the past 3 days. Last night, I ate some broccoli potato soup. It gave he horrendous indigestion. I keep burping and it's giving me terrible gas pains in my chest. No, it's not a heart attack. 

Getting old sucks ☹️

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/21/21 10:40 a.m.
Duke said:
Appleseed said:

In reply to slefain :

The 12-year-old part is not an insurance thing at all.  That's a HIPAA thing, which is 100% government-driven (and therefore, theoretically citizen-driven) thing.  We asked for that E36 M3.

Yeah, and it has good reasons - i.e. a young woman getting the HPV vaccine when parents are kooks, or sexually active adolescents can ensure that they're actually getting protection, or having a safe place to tell an adult that they're depressed or suicidal if they're afraid of their parent's reaction. 

Sleifan, there should be ways around this. Ask your pediatrician about it, because you're right - you can't be the only one complaining about it. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/21/21 11:05 a.m.

I love it when families ask questions.

I love it when families look up information on medications, and ask questions about them.

But the instant you start trying to do the doctor's job because you're a nervous-wreck worrywort, you can go straight to hell. Most recent patient problem is with a particular family member whom spends all day trying to make up treatment plans off google searches and arguing with doctor staff for hours at a time about every single medication, clearly not listening to anything we tell them. The fact their family member is confused partially because they haven't slept in days is immaterial- they think it's the prophylactic antifungals they're on, and when that (clearly) didn't work and their symptoms worsen now they think somehow the antibiotics for their active infection are in their brain and need to be stopped (?!?!). Now, they discovered the Amiodarone they have been on for months for their A-fib has a nasty habit of causing pulmonary fibrosis- We have told them their family has lung scarring typical of COVID pneumonia. NOPE, WE KNOW ITS THE AMIO, TAKE THEM OFF OF IT. Well, now they're in Afib, and their perfusion is worse, and thus their confusion is worse. WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING?!? They deadass wanted Lavender oil as a treatment.

The joke's on these dumbasses tho, you only get so much rope before we get to claim "Patient's best safety interest" and can legally ignore you entirely. The jackass google-fu family member has technically endangered their family because at one point, they were crawling out of bed and ran to the station instead of pushing them back in (which lead to a funny moment where they came to me shouting about it, and I just asked "Why didn't you push them back?", which stumped them so much they froze up) so after hours wasted arguing with infectious disease, whining about putting their family nothing-by-mouth and learning oh they can't eat/drink now and every other moment where that one member learned we don't respond to their chicken squaking, MAYBE we can get their family healthy enough to leave the hospital. I kind of doubt it tho, they hop ERs and ICUs constantly because of that one joke of a person.

Duke said:
Appleseed said:

In reply to slefain :

I'm decently sure the only reason the cutoff is at 12 in HIPPA is because the victim that caused the making of the bill was 12 years old at the time; still might be for the best, with what BS some of the states try to pull with healthcare.

1 ... 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 ... 1508
Our Preferred Partners
FuBeUpjMVth7EUUtLDtKWlGYAqVxS0DFCITitM2LwskAQ0KBltql1HFoMbamtcBE