1 ... 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 ... 1508
wae
wae UberDork
9/21/21 11:18 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Flip side to that, though: a good friend of ours was heavily pressured into turning off life support on his wife about a month ago because she had gone a week with no improvement.  He threatened the doctor with physical violence after doing his own research and told him in no uncertain terms that he was going to give his wife another week.

She came home over the weekend.

Like, alive.  Not in an urn.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
9/21/21 11:22 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Not to do with the rant side of this, but this is great news. Not that I know anyone involved, but a recovery like that is a great thing to hear about 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/21/21 11:24 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

I love it when families ask questions.

I love it when families look up information on medications, and ask questions about them.

My wife is a Dietitian in a clinical setting (meaning, she has to know what drugs interact with different nutrition plans). My mom is a nurse. My MIL is a nurse. My mom was raised by a nurse, and a doctor, her grandad was a doctor, her aunt (whom she, along with myself) were very close with, was a Captain in the public health service, and a nurse, and a nursing professor. My dad worked for Abbott, then Hospira, then Pfizer. 

When my daughter was in the hospital, she was on a whole host of drugs; there were about 8-12 infusion pumps running at any one time. Some of the pumps and drugs, my dad had direct experience with, recently. We had immediately given carte blanche to the doctors and nurses to provide any information requested by any of the grandparents (not that it mattered, we were in the room with her for her entire life), but there were a LOT of questions asked. We even had some medical doctors in the family that we were consulting with on the side, just to get their opinion.

I think the only thing we had any potential issue with was the antibiotic choice, only because both my wife and her brother are allergic to a whole bunch of them and we wanted to be cautious. I have to imagine that our family was a lot more knowledgeable than the average patient's family. If we didn't challenge anything (and the antibiotic thing wasn't a challenge, it was just a concern that we raised due to family history), collectively knowing as much as we did, how is it possible that other people with less familiarity are challenging the doctors from their own research? Why do they think they know better? 

And lets be clear, this is not saying that you shouldn't get a second or even third opinion from another MEDICAL DOCTOR (or Doctor of osteopathic medicine). But why are they there in the first place if they don't trust the care team, or think they can do it better?

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
9/21/21 11:36 a.m.

I bought a truck back in March in Ohio. I did my research and Ohio allows for online (remote) notaries. I've been waiting to ge the truck title in my name and I should have done so a while ago so shame on me.

I live in PA and went to get the title transferred. "We don't take online notary titles." I know, but this is a signed Ohio title and they accept it. "Nope, this is PA we don't take it." Called another place and the lady talked to me like an idiot and spatted off how to get a title notarized in person. Yes, I know how to do that and you're not listening but she didn't care. 

I don't want to drive 6 hours round trip to re meet up with the seller and get the title  notarized but I may have to. I've been trying to call the main PennDOT office and they won't allow me to speak with an operator. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/21/21 12:18 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Yep, and we have had the "Why are you even here then?" discussion with them, which cooled their jets slightly. Second day they were in our hospital the one member began working themselves into a tizzy because for some reason they snap-decided to move their family out of our ICU into a different ICU. Except LMAO COVID, all ICU beds are taken, you might have one in 4 days. We still don't know what spawned that dead-from-the-neck-up idea, and when they were told this they just changed gears to stopping all their antibiotics which lead to said hours-long infectious disease call. Suddenly made a lot of sense why their story and hospital history could only make sense over something systemic over months of time- each time their family member hit any speedbump that one peanut brain would move them to another facility thinking it would fix them.

Oh, and this family member is nearly 3-digits young.

In reply to wae :

Man, I have a few tales like that but they won't end up in this thread lmao. That's great to hear!

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

There's a podcaster by the name of "donoteat01" who works for PennDOT who's gone into shocking detail about what he's seen on the job and in state politic, how it works, and how it influenced him. I have decided I will not live in Pennsylvania, unless I Know A Guy in PennDOT.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/21/21 12:31 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

"Research" = "I found something online that confirms my gut feeling"

Never mind that there are writer agencies that will post up professional looking articles about any BS you want for $50-100 a link.

Ivermectin is causing organ damage that has you literally E36 M3ting your intestinal lining out?  That's "rope worms" and proof that the medication has a positive effect, keep taking it.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/21/21 12:34 p.m.
NickD said:

About a month ago, on the way to an autocross I had one of the adjusters for my Blackbird Fabworx spoilers rattle loose and fall off. That Monday I messaged them about getting a replacement adjuster, since their website lists replacement Lexan panels but not replacement adjusters. A week later I got a response that they would add a link to the website later that day for purchasing replacement adjusters and send me the link in another e-mail. I never got an e-mail and I've been checking their website every day and there has been no added link for purchasing replacement adjusters. Two weeks ago, I sent an e-mail asking what the status was. No response. Yesterday I e-mailed them again, requesting a replacement adjuster. Still waiting to hear back.

So after waiting a week without a further answer, I ended up calling Blackbird so that they couldn't ignore me and explained that I needed an adjuster, since I had lost one. The guy on the phone goes "Oh, someone e-mailed me about that like a month ago and I've never got around to adding it to the website." I didn't bother explaining that I was that someone. He then said he would add it to the website that day. So, I check the website and there is now a link to purchase an adjuster. Awesome. Place an order for one and get an e-mail that they received my order and there will be an e-mail when it ships. It's now been another week and I haven't gotten an e-mail notifying me that the part has shipped. At this point I'm about ready to yank the thing off and just run a bare decklid. I've run half the season with it set at the lowest angle so I don't split the Lexan panel down the center and my position at events has been pretty much the same as with it cranked up for big downforce. In fact, I set FTD at the last event with it essentially doing nothing.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/21/21 12:49 p.m.

The seller can have it notarized without you present. He could also go to the title agency and get a duplicate title and have them notarize that while he's there and then send it to you ready to go. I just went through some title work and they require you to make an appointment and they were ON THE BALL. I got there early and checked in, waited in my car for like 15 minutes, and then was in and out in 5 minutes. It was awesome.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
9/21/21 12:59 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Sounds like it's a good time to rip it off then. Weight reduction! 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/21/21 1:04 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to mtn :

"Research" = "I found something online that confirms my gut feeling"

Yup. I used "research" up there incorrectly, because nobody is running any studies or research on it. They're just reading stuff on the internet, and if any of it is peer reviewed, I'd be surprised. 

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
9/21/21 1:12 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

I bought a truck back in March in Ohio. I did my research and Ohio allows for online (remote) notaries. I've been waiting to ge the truck title in my name and I should have done so a while ago so shame on me.

I live in PA and went to get the title transferred. "We don't take online notary titles." I know, but this is a signed Ohio title and they accept it. "Nope, this is PA we don't take it." Called another place and the lady talked to me like an idiot and spatted off how to get a title notarized in person. Yes, I know how to do that and you're not listening but she didn't care. 

I don't want to drive 6 hours round trip to re meet up with the seller and get the title  notarized but I may have to. I've been trying to call the main PennDOT office and they won't allow me to speak with an operator. 

The last time this happened to a vehicle I sold it cost me 13 bucks to get a duplicate title, notarize it open and mail it too the man who purchased the vehicle. As long as you don't screw up your side and the seller is willing to do it, you could save a 6 hour trip

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/21/21 1:22 p.m.
hunter47 said:

In reply to NickD :

Sounds like it's a good time to rip it off then. Weight reduction! 

The problem is, then I have a decklid with a bunch of holes drilled in it. I have a spare decklid but it is in heavily-flaking white paint, so I would need to have someone strip it and paint it Mariner Blue. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
9/21/21 1:26 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

Seller is 72 and I'm hoping he hasn't passed since I bought the truck. I doubt he'd be willing to do that. I do have the original title with his signature but it isn't notarized. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
9/21/21 2:27 p.m.

Thinking about it, I think at least a third of the cars I've bought have required some kind of creativity in getting the title notarized (usually involving a notary I know who will notarize most anything I put in front of them).

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/21/21 3:26 p.m.

Stull have not receieved my replacement credit card, almost a month later.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
9/21/21 3:37 p.m.
mtn said:
Duke said:
Appleseed said:

In reply to slefain :

You could could always do what I did, and buy it off of Craigslist and hope you don't die. Seriously, insurance was so berked or nonexistant that I bought it off of Craigslist.

The 12-year-old part is not an insurance thing at all.  That's a HIPAA thing, which is 100% government-driven (and therefore, theoretically citizen-driven) thing.  We asked for that E36 M3.

Yeah, and it has good reasons - i.e. a young woman getting the HPV vaccine when parents are kooks, or sexually active adolescents can ensure that they're actually getting protection, or having a safe place to tell an adult that they're depressed or suicidal if they're afraid of their parent's reaction. 

Sleifan, there should be ways around this. Ask your pediatrician about it, because you're right - you can't be the only one complaining about it. 

We're trying to get something worked out. The meds have seriously been a life changer for us and kiddo. Borderline a miracle. I get the HIPAA thing, but when you combine it with the extra steps of getting a really tightly controlled med, it is a royal PITA. The med can't be mailed, it can't be auto-refilled. It has be be doctor authorized every....single...frickin....month.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
9/21/21 3:58 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Call them and ask them to send it again. Happened to me, they said they sent it out 2 months ago. They express shipped me another one and I got it next day. 

Super annoying, but ya know. It is what it is.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
9/21/21 4:20 p.m.
dculberson said:

The seller can have it notarized without you present. He could also go to the title agency and get a duplicate title and have them notarize that while he's there and then send it to you ready to go. I just went through some title work and they require you to make an appointment and they were ON THE BALL. I got there early and checked in, waited in my car for like 15 minutes, and then was in and out in 5 minutes. It was awesome.

They seem to be getting tough on this, I can't figure out why since they are only notarizing the sale not the purchase. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/21/21 4:26 p.m.

Man, buying a car in Illinois or Wisconsin is EASY compared to where ya'll live. Thanks to Dculberson for figuring out the tough part for when I bought a car from him. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
9/21/21 4:44 p.m.

Going out of OH is easy (except to PA) coming in is the pain. Although, no inspections where I live make it a bearable pain.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
9/21/21 4:50 p.m.
stanger_mussle said:

Well, the covid test came back negative, which is a win I guess. I'm thinking I picked up the flu from somewhere. Whatever it was, it kicked my ass for 36 hours.

Now my rant is that I've been eating nothing but soup for the past 3 days. Last night, I ate some broccoli potato soup. It gave he horrendous indigestion. I keep burping and it's giving me terrible gas pains in my chest. No, it's not a heart attack. 

Getting old sucks ☹️

That's good, I'm positive and have been taking it easy locked up in my office. It's not pleasant and I can't think about going back to work til the 1st which is making me stir crazy. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/21/21 5:02 p.m.
chandler said:
dculberson said:

They seem to be getting tough on this, I can't figure out why since they are only notarizing the sale not the purchase. 

It can still be done without the buyer present, but the seller is supposed to fill out the buyer's name and address, so it it's not supposed to be able "open" anymore, to keep people from floating titles.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/21/21 5:03 p.m.
hunter47 said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Call them and ask them to send it again. Happened to me, they said they sent it out 2 months ago. They express shipped me another one and I got it next day. 

Super annoying, but ya know. It is what it is.

That is the plan if it is not in my mailbox tonight.  I called on something like Sept 1st, got e-mail on the 6th (!) that it was mailed out, should be in my hands by the 13th.

PNC Bank, on the other hand, gave me a new card with a new number in 5 minutes at one of their branches.  Here is my ID, punch in my PIN, bam new card.

heck, Tracfone Wireless overnight shipped me a new SIM card for my phone.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/21/21 5:53 p.m.

Kiddo was bit again today at daycare. We're now on the 8th bite in the last 15 days that she's been there. WTF. 

I know it is developmentally appropriate for the age group, but this is getting out of hand. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
9/21/21 6:08 p.m.

I've been bit almost a dozen times by dogs.

Some people just taste good

1 ... 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 ... 1508
Our Preferred Partners
UBQ3mcgYMTu4OFm0WbLSHFGcByM42nFhmVjvh4yPFhstGhi741gXuClIOPpofm15