In reply to johndej :

5 cars over, 3 dead. sad

☹️ Indeed. 

What caused the derailment?

johndej
johndej Dork
9/25/21 8:35 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

Ffffffffff..... I had just seen some initial posts that has kinda down played things but yeah my thoughts go out to anyone who was on there and their families.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/25/21 9:49 p.m.
mtn said:

That special monthly visitor is here, and there is nothing that I can do or say that does not result in getting yelled at. Reason, take a hike, you're not needed here. 

Same. The last two weeks of every month. It's totally normal, shut up. You don't understand. Yup

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/21 9:50 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Gotta check the tranny fluid(the standard 6spd, not the DSG) in the wife's 13 Golf.

There's no dipstick

The fluid is apparently unicorn blood

It's really low to the ground.

Exactly what was wrong with the dipstick? Why exactly do I have to pull the drain plug that's not a drain plug,get the transmission to a specific temp range and count the drips? And if it needs fluid I need a special kit for it? Wtf?

Dipsticks make packaging difficult, they invite dirt and debris to get in and contaminate the fluid if they are not properly seated, and ease of service means that someone could easily overfill the trans or use any old fluid, or both.  Overfull fluid can kill a transmission remarkably quickly.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/21 6:50 a.m.
mtn said:
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

In reply to johndej :

5 cars over, 3 dead. sad

☹️ Indeed. 

What caused the derailment?

No one has said. At a guess, a track problem. That is what usually derails an Amtrack. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/26/21 2:04 p.m.

My mother's husband is going to get her hurt or killed and I don't know what I'm going to do when he does.

Wedding this weekend that the wife and I didn't go to because last time that full group of people got together my best friend's mother-in-law (already in poor health) died from COVID.  This morning I got a call from my older sister as she and a friend of the family were driving home, mom's Jackass got absolutely E36 M3faced at the wedding, then they went to my younger sister's house where they were staying and he continued on to get fully trashed and make an ass out of himself.  End result of making an ass of himself, he proclaimed "fine! we'll just drive home!" meaning that at 11:30PM my 72 year old mother who has glaucoma was forced to drive them home because he was piss-your-pants drunk.  She called my sisters at 3:30AM this morning to let them know she was home safely.

He is taking her in a downward spiral and it is not going to get better.  My older sister and I are talking about an intervention.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
9/26/21 2:27 p.m.

Websites that require me to turn off my VPN for access.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/26/21 3:40 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Gotta check the tranny fluid(the standard 6spd, not the DSG) in the wife's 13 Golf.

There's no dipstick

The fluid is apparently unicorn blood

It's really low to the ground.

Exactly what was wrong with the dipstick? Why exactly do I have to pull the drain plug that's not a drain plug,get the transmission to a specific temp range and count the drips? And if it needs fluid I need a special kit for it? Wtf?

Dipsticks make packaging difficult, they invite dirt and debris to get in and contaminate the fluid if they are not properly seated, and ease of service means that someone could easily overfill the trans or use any old fluid, or both.  Overfull fluid can kill a transmission remarkably quickly.

This sounds like logic and it's getting in the way of my rant

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
9/26/21 3:42 p.m.

And that's after randomly spending four days in Colorado. 
30 miles away, fingers crossed for Tuesday.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
9/26/21 3:42 p.m.

Dipstick on a screw-in plug takes care of most of those issues.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
9/26/21 10:01 p.m.

New rant, inability to determine country of origin for parts BEFORE buying them.
By law everything is marked on the part or box, but retailers want to keep it a secret.
Any attempt to put "Made in USA" or similar in your search parameters get an "Invalid search" response.
I may need a new HEI distributor for my Chevy truck and will not waste a cent on Chinese made.
I know that just paying for the more expensive version does NOT assure USA made.
Got the search down to only twenty-seven possible.
Automatically discard the $99.00 and under cheapies, leaving about fifteen or so to choose from.

Guess I get to annoy Tech Support for my answer.
So much for purely on-line shopping.

9/27/21 10:14 a.m.

Annoying new neighbors are annoying.

Seriously, why move somewhere and instantly piss off all your neighbors? What's the goal here?

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
9/27/21 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

One of our neighbors just put their house up for sale....  we've been pretty lucky with neighbors in the 15 years we've lived here, but I still keep my fingers crossed every time someone moves out.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
9/27/21 10:42 a.m.

Oh, and the rant... listening to State Farm's hold music for about 20 minutes so far, on about the tenth time I've had to call to try to get my trailer claim handled.  Different person every call, have to explain from scratch every call.  Have had to wait as much as an hour on hold.

Can we please just go back to a local adjuster that you can actually meet with face to face?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/27/21 10:44 a.m.

Seriously, why move somewhere and instantly piss off all your neighbors? What's the goal here?

Did yours bring roosters into the neighborhood? Or pull a gun on the neighbor they share a driveway with?

We're going through it to. If and when they are forced out or arrested, me and the guy living next to them are buying the house and tearing it down. It should have been condemned after the last occupant anyway, but for some reason these people decided to try to raise kids in a house with 3 walls, no running water, and no septic/sewage.

9/27/21 11:23 a.m.
RevRico said:

Did yours bring roosters into the neighborhood? Or pull a gun on the neighbor they share a driveway with?

We're going through it to. If and when they are forced out or arrested, me and the guy living next to them are buying the house and tearing it down. It should have been condemned after the last occupant anyway, but for some reason these people decided to try to raise kids in a house with 3 walls, no running water, and no septic/sewage.

No this one has to do with my driveway.

I have a driveway that looks like it's on the edge of my property but isn't. The property that's way behind us finally sold after 2 decades on the market to someone that didn't do their research and assumed that it was their access. It's not. 

Over the 2 decades it's been for sale there's been a couple dozen people interested in it, they usually stop by and ask if they can use the road and offer to maintain it, or plow it, or offer money etc. This guy specifically didn't stop by and ignored me as I tried to wave him down.

His property has a poorly maintained road running thru the opposite corner of it. It's a horrible road and he doesn't want to use it and is coming up with convoluted reasons why he can use our road. Many many flailed reasons.

Here's the thing, if he was landlocked and had no access to his property it would be an argument because technically he can build a road for access on the property lines.......but he has access. They tried to put a subdevelopment back there years ago and ran into the same issue, but my driveway......isn't....on....the.. property line.

Now, we have a few neighbors that have legal right to the road and help maintain it. It's important to note that 5 people own this road thru where his property is. No one wants him on it because his first act apparently will be widening it by an absurd amount and cutting down everyone's trees. No one wants that. We are the 2nd property in.

Telling him all this info has shown that he can't be told he's wrong in a nice manner and is an aszhat.  He also doesn't seem to understand that "easement" doesn't mean he owns the property which is a lot of his problem. So far the main arguments is that other landlocked people behind us could have access ( they do and years ago asked us to gate it off. He isn't one of the people with access), that I'll have to pay for a road if he puts it in because that means the access has moved( no all around and I have a driveway already) and that he really really wants to have a road....which is meaningless.

Basically our county is draconian and even if he wins the argument to build on the property lines 100 ish feet away he gets to put in a half mile road thru heavy forest and wetlands. He screwed up and can't admit it or stop being an shiny happy person.

Sadly if he maintained the current road, plowed it and didn't log no one would care, not that he's spoken to anyone but me about it.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/27/21 2:20 p.m.

Oof. 

Playing a little bit of musical cars with my parents and my brother. 2 of them are my parents cars. 1 is my brothers. My wife is now asking me 100 questions about it. I'm involved only as storage, and I'll be along for the ride for about 4% of the 1,700 mile trip, and really, the only reason I'm involved at all is not relevant to any of the questions being asked.. 

Wife: "Wait, don't they need..."

Me: "I don't know, you'd have to ask them"

Wife: "Wouldn't it make more sense to..."

Me: "I don't know, you'd have to ask him"

Wife: "Well shouldn't he..."

Me: "I don't know, he's done this before, I haven't, and I'm not going so I don't really care"

Wife: "Won't that..."

Me: "Wifey. I am not going on this trip. These are not my cars. I am not paying for the gas. I do not know, and frankly, I do not care"

How many different ways can I say "Not my circus, not my monkeys"? 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/21 7:49 p.m.

The one bad thing about using your actual name as a forum handle is that when you want to rant about (things), it's sometimes not feasible to do so because it can get back to you.

In other news, I was not contemplating the merits of auto da fay as a teaching tool during a phone call today.

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
9/27/21 8:02 p.m.

Trying to do a return on eBay is crazy compared to how easy it is on Amazon. 

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
9/28/21 7:38 a.m.

Microsoft Teams !

In the phone with a vendor, need info from a team mate, fire up teams, having issues, I mutter Teams under my breath and the vendor states "we hate it too".

This is not the first of those that have frustrations with teams that have confirmed my thoughts.

What are so many management teams so enamored with teams. Have they never seen how easy Skype or zoom chat worked in 5 -10 years ago. Its sleek don't take up a whole screen format due to the bubble text and space between them, poor format for key contacts.

Than again might be great if you are in kindergarten and only know 3 people.

Sorry if this is a repeat of a past rant of mine. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
9/28/21 7:38 a.m.

Covid - so I've got it, normal symptoms, not a good time at all. Wake up yesterday a little tight in the chest, urgent care finds covid pneumonia and some other crap. There isn't anything to do. Go about your day and hope it gets better. This isn't directed at urgent care or the profession in general but does it bother anyone that we have three/four companies making vaccines (that didn't work in this case) and unless you are on deaths doors there isn't a dang treatment for this?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/28/21 7:50 a.m.
chandler said:

Covid - so I've got it, normal symptoms, not a good time at all. Wake up yesterday a little tight in the chest, urgent care finds covid pneumonia and some other crap. There isn't anything to do. Go about your day and hope it gets better. This isn't directed at urgent care or the profession in general but does it bother anyone that we have three/four companies making vaccines (that didn't work in this case) and unless you are on deaths doors there isn't a dang treatment for this?

I'm going to contest this. Just because you get it doesn't mean that it doesn't work. It is keeping people out of the hospital and out of the morgue. Also, it "didn't work" because too many people treated it like a joke and it has mutated too far to be as effective as it is against the earlier strains. 

As for treatments... Novel virus. We're getting there. Merck, Pfizer, and Synairgen are all in Phase 3 trials that look promising. 

Hope you get better soon!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/28/21 8:01 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

Hope it goes easy on you, and you are fine in a few days.  I thought monoclonal antibodies were approved for anyone who tested positive in Ohio, vaccinated or not?

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/21 8:02 a.m.

In reply to lrrs :

I don't get it. I go on zoom every Saturday with a bunch of friends in varying states of drunkenness or stoned. It works every time. We insist on Teams at work and it's an issue every time. 

wae
wae UberDork
9/28/21 8:09 a.m.

In reply to lrrs :

I think that Teams is bundled with your Office365 subscription while getting Zoom or WebEx is an extra license.  Don't quote me on that, MS resale isn't part of the business that I deal with very frequently.  I know that we have it because O365, but we also have WebEx because big Cisco reseller.  Zoom is right out.

1 ... 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jSPDeJ0VMQfnE2ZbkEJX5V0E82wwkUtXAE0kiZ3EUDW5ZGSVrCdr3KZer7IeSNXl