1 ... 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 ... 1927
barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
10/15/21 8:55 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
Appleseed said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

You have no idea what hell is. I moved out of the last house using an FR-S.  For serious.

He moved in a Civic

I got a free upgrade to the 20' uhaul. That and a Kia Sorento (mom), my MGM, and her zoom zoom 5, we're about 95% in one trip. Wife has been an absolute rockstar in preparation. Everything boxed and ready to go days  in advance. As far as moving a family goes, this was about as smooth as possible. Still a pain in the nads. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/15/21 9:22 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:
Appleseed said:

You have no idea what hell is. I moved out of the last house using an FR-S.  For serious.

He moved in a Civic

I got a free upgrade to the 20' uhaul. That and a Kia Sorento (mom), my MGM, and her zoom zoom 5, we're about 95% in one trip. Wife has been an absolute rockstar in preparation. Everything boxed and ready to go days  in advance. As far as moving a family goes, this was about as smooth as possible. Still a pain in the nads. 

I eventually got him to get a small truck but he refused to move with a big truck for reasons

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/15/21 10:17 p.m.
Appleseed said:

He moved in a Civic

Looks like I'll have company in Hell, then. 

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
10/16/21 6:00 p.m.

Trying to get parts for the Skyline is an exercise in frustration. Why does everyone need a VIN, or a year/make/model if I give them a part number? 

Me: I need this part for this year car

Parts guy: Do you have the VIN? 

Me: Nope it's for a Skyline

Parts guy: Yeah sorry I don't have anything for that

Me: ALKSDFIHNAQEIWCNASDLKFDSA berkeley

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/16/21 8:48 p.m.

10 minutes ago I had no idea Ventoura 2 story trailers existed.

I have no practical use for. 2 story Ventoura trailer.

I just saw an add for a 1950 Ventoura trailer.

I now very much want a two story Ventoura trailer

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
10/16/21 10:27 p.m.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
10/16/21 11:11 p.m.

In reply to SnowMongoose :

What exactly are we looking at?
From what I can see it looks like a new lightweight cast iron flywheel of some sort.
It may have had flaws welded before surfacing?
What sort of heat treat after?
Cast is not great to weld.
Also looks like it has been mounted.

Honsch
Honsch Reader
10/17/21 3:24 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

That looks to me to be the back side of a 4 cylinder VW flywheel, where someone burned the friction side so badly that the back has spots over 800F.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
10/17/21 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Honsch :

Close, factory flywheel off a Mitsubishi Evo.  
Appears I loaned it to someone who doesn't really know how to drive stick.

The other side is really nice and shiny :P

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/17/21 10:21 a.m.

Broke the miata bumper with a curv, and hit the water meter cover with the mower, wrecking the blades and possibly deck. Leaf blower crapped out, borrowed ine, and it died. Not same gas. 

Not been a good morning. 

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
10/17/21 3:03 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

You and me both. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/18/21 11:28 a.m.

Was dragging when I got up this morning to swim and was halfway down our road before I realized that I had forgotten to put on my glasses (I don't really need them around the house- especially when I'm trying to not turn on lights anyway and have laid out most of what I need the night before). Didn't want to turn around and have to go back in and get them and lose the 5 minutes that would take in total (as well as likely wake up The Dancer and The Dog when I disarmed the alarm system again and opened the door) and since the route to the gym is both mostly back roads and ones that I know well, decided to just say 'berk it' and not worry about it. 

Made it there without any problems, and it was light enough on the way back to wear my distance-prescription sunglasses- but OOOF I had not realized that my distance vision had gotten as bad as it is and just how badly I need the glasses. Most of the day sitting in front of my computer is spent without them since by some odd coincidence my computer monitors are at right about the (only, apparently) distance that I can still see pretty much perfectly at without glasses- but anything beyond about 10 feet starts to get fuzzy fast, and anything much under arm's length is the same without my glasses. 

I mean, yeah- I'm 46 and have worn glasses or contacts of some sort for most of my life... but for a while there I only really needed glasses for extended times of reading. And since I pretty much need the multifocal lenses, contacts aren't a particularly viable option at the moment.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/21 4:56 p.m.

This could have been me if I wasn't a responsible adult.  

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/21 5:03 p.m.

Day four of a low grade migraine. Desperately hoping it doesn't turn into one of my weapons grade ones, although I have meds at least for those.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/21 5:10 p.m.

Went to my grandmothers house in Pickens SC this past weekend. My eldest had the house keys in his pocket when we left yesterday. I asked him about halfway home if he checked the windows when he locked the door.

...crickets...

450 miles later, the house is now locked.

It's a good thing I like to drive.

wae
wae UberDork
10/18/21 8:31 p.m.

I don't know how or when or where...  My wedding band is missing.  I had it on my keychain carabineer after taking it off to work on something last week and now it's just gone.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
10/18/21 11:17 p.m.

Friends don't let friends buy the cheapo Project Source cans of spray paint from Lowes. Holy Crow is that bad stuff. frown

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/19/21 7:02 p.m.

Roasted chicken is delicious but dear Bob, cooking a whole one can devastate your shirt, your entire kitchen, and every implement you own. The grease is everywhere.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/19/21 7:10 p.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

Was that the only paint left?  Around here the spray paint section of every store is tumble weeds and dust bunnies. 

My rant is last weekend I made a 100 mile round trip to get what was apparently the LAST can of Rust-Oleum hammered copper in all of NEPA so I could finish painting some wheels.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
10/20/21 8:50 a.m.

Our small town election this year is crazier than the last one, and that is saying something. There's three council seats open and many people running. Election is simple, top three people who get the most votes win the three open seats. Every citizen gets to vote for three people. Simple and has worked for decades.

Except now the small group who thinks *they* represent the entire city are freaking out that their two anointed candidates may not win any of the three seats. I can tell because a current council person has been telling people to only vote for TWO candidates and leave the third one blank. Why? Because picking a third candidate might bump one of the anointed from the rankings. Sure it is an election strategy, I get it, but when an elected official is making the suggestion I see election tampering (and called it out as such).

Meanwhile one of the anointed candidates left my house yelling and insulting me because I won't for them. Thus making my point as to why they should not be on council.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/21 10:04 a.m.

In the past two years, you have managed to burn up 2 - $3000 motor assemblies due to piling crap around the loading dock sliding door. Loading docks are not storage areas. This door is not designed to be stalled. I really tried not to smile when I told you motors were not available for 8-10 months. I'm not the guy that sold you this Italian-made junk that replaced the US-built door that was in here originally. You know, the door that everyone has parts for on the shelf. The door that actually has current limit and overheat shutdowns and is designed as an automatic door instead of an industrial door.

And yes, that motor I found on E-Bay is still going to be expensive as hell. You've got to pay me for the hours I spent digging around on the internet to find out who actually makes the motor and finding an alternate source for the damn thing. 

Stop buying overseas junk. This is the second time in 2 weeks it has bitten you in the ass.  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/21 11:00 a.m.

I shouldn't be taking this trip by myself.  I knew I'd have a problem somewhere especially given the amount of time I have to think.  It finally happened last night in Galena, Kansas.  

Jodi loved the Pixar movies, and Cars was one of her favorites.  We watched it dozens of times with my nephew while I was recovering from a crash.  Her favorite was Luigi, the little yellow Fiat. Last night I came around a curve and there he was.  I took a couple pics, went to send her one, and sat on a rock and cried. Ugh.  After a little while I was ok again, but it took a bit out of me.  

If anyone is passing through the area it's worth stopping off, the town did a nice job and it looks like a nice place to be during the day. 

Jodi's Jeep, Gary, with Luigi:

Me and Mater:

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/20/21 11:03 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I took a couple pics, went to send her one, and sat on a rock and cried. Ugh.  After a little while I was ok again, but it took a bit out of me.  

Catharsis is always good, even when it doesn't feel like it.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/20/21 12:40 p.m.

Though it's generally one of my least favorite things to do, I've been working on getting our yard looking a bit better over the last few weeks. Finally getting the hot tub pad set up and the hot tub moved was a bit improvement, and now I need to knock out the area around the trees/shrubs in front of the house (I don't know what the heck to call it- they're not flower beds). Since I had almost a yard of pea gravel left over from the hot tub pad, I decided I'd see about clearing them out, putting down another layer of landscape fabric, and fill them in with the extra gravel. This was going reasonably well until while trying to lay the fabric yesterday as it was starting to get dark I took a pine shrub branch to the eyeball. 

Thankfully it's only a small scratch to the cornea that should heal in a day or so- but it still hurt... both my eyeball and my pride since I'm usually pretty good about wearing eye protection at all times. I hadn't been at the time this happened because it had gotten dark enough that my usual yard work glasses- my HF safety sunglasses- were too dark to see properly and I was done with the power equipment. Lesson learned- hopefully it will be a while before I again decide that I shouldn't bother with my eye protection...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/21 1:29 p.m.
iammclovin804 said:

Trying to get parts for the Skyline is an exercise in frustration. Why does everyone need a VIN, or a year/make/model if I give them a part number? 

Me: I need this part for this year car

Parts guy: Do you have the VIN? 

Me: Nope it's for a Skyline

Parts guy: Yeah sorry I don't have anything for that

Me: ALKSDFIHNAQEIWCNASDLKFDSA berkeley

Protip on JDM car ownership, look around on junkyard websites for a VIN number from a car of the same model as yours and keep this for these kinds of situations (if possible - may not be in this case since many Skyline models were never sold in the US).

1 ... 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ej2vQgw8FbBq3zTlRqpYrHe6C1swJOSQH8jB8TXnUVtoqw3wzMOwYBUH55RLLaB3