1 ... 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 ... 1508
mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/26/21 9:06 p.m.

I'm having a hard time imagining a swivel-rocker. How would it work? Do you have a picture? 

All of the ones I've seen are gliders.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/21 9:16 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Basically a lazy Susan mounted on a spring loaded pivot. 

The chair in question. It has seen better days but it's super comfortable. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/26/21 11:15 p.m.
RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
10/27/21 1:59 a.m.

BMC "A series" cams now cost more than a new set of pistons. no

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/21 5:24 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Hmm, going to have to make a drive into hell. Thanks. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/21 7:07 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Now I'm wondering if I'm confused about terms that are used. What I call a rocker rocks back and forth on a single pivot point. What I call a glider swings back and forth on 4 arms. 

Rocker

A ROCKING CHAIR MECHANISM - Patent 2242398

 

VS Glider.

glider rocker mechanism Shop Clothing & Shoes Online

wae
wae UberDork
10/27/21 7:30 a.m.

Things things have to be related somehow, don't they?  First the truck cooks its alternator very suddenly.  Then the data link connector fuse blows.  Actually, come to think of it, that fuse had been blown for a while...  I thought my bluetooth OBD2 adapter was broken but if the fuse was blown that would be why it won't recognize the truck....  Anyway, then a coil connector needs to be jostled to get the truck to stop misfiring...  and today, the PATS system is having a conniption and preventing the truck from starting with either key.  I guess the good news is that it decided to have that fit while I'm here at home, but I don't have any spare fuses here to get the data link connector working so I can install Forscan on my tablet and try to poke PATS with a stick....

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/27/21 8:18 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

I think you got it right. That forum I recommended in the recliner thread, the owner states this: 

its the way they work on the arc of rocking. Think of the center point of the chair....

A rocker is like a fulcrum on the center point, the center is the high point of the arc. Or to go back to your playground childhood, that pony on the playground with the big single spring on it.

A glider is the opposite, with the center point being the low point of the arc.

Most people will never notice the difference unless its pointed out to them.

I'm one that never noticed the difference, but that makes sense as the only time I rock or glide is when I'm putting kiddo to sleep - for me, the most important thing is firm cushioning and reclining.  Relevant thread.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/27/21 8:22 a.m.

It's that time of year- I have to convince myself not to build a challenge car, again.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/27/21 8:22 a.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

In reply to mtn :

Hmm, going to have to make a drive into hell. Thanks. 

Based on my experiences furniture shopping for specific items, call ahead to make sure they have it. While the low end is relatively ubiquitous among their items, the better made stuff seems to be less so, so you could go in to look at a specific sofa and find that they don't have one in stock but can custom order it for you (and they'll give you 60% off! The prices are made up and the sales don't matter, negotiate them to death)... without you ever having sat in it. 

I would also expect that this industry is getting hit hard in terms of materials and supply line; at least they're largely still made in the US.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/27/21 8:31 a.m.

The toliet paper at work. I swear 500 grit sandpaper would be more comfortable and do a better job cleaning. I literally don't understand how you make tp that is both this rough and bad at cleaning at the same time.

 

 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/21 8:51 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

It doesn't look like they have one on hand. They may have something similar, which is better than every other furniture store I've tried. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/27/21 9:09 a.m.
mtn said:

I would also expect that this industry is getting hit hard in terms of materials and supply line; at least they're largely still made in the US.

My mother wanted to order new furniture.  They gave her a 1 year lead time for any custom fabric selection, and a six month lead time for fabric/furniture combinations they usually make but don't have in a warehouse right now.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
10/27/21 9:22 a.m.

WTF, FedEx?

My package makes it from Texas to Phoenix in two days, but has been bouncing around between Phoenix and Tempe since Sunday...  can someone just put in on a truck and drive it the last 80 miles up the mountain, please?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/27/21 9:43 a.m.

Rocking chair.  The others are not.  They may be better, but they are not rocking chairs.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/27/21 10:52 a.m.
93EXCivic said:

The toliet paper at work.

We are cost cutting at work and I see we downgraded our paper towels this week.  I'm planning on leaving a TP roll from home on my desk to make a statement on all this savings.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/27/21 11:26 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
93EXCivic said:

The toliet paper at work.

We are cost cutting at work and I see we downgraded our paper towels this week.  I'm planning on leaving a TP roll from home on my desk to make a statement on all this savings.

I have worked jobs that have necessitated my bringing TP to work. One job was a desk job; I had a roll in my drawer. This was the norm. Another was not a desk job, kept one in my car (had to go out to the parking lot to get to the bathroom; it was in a separate building). And, as an ice hockey referee, some of the locker rooms are... well, they can be very hit or miss. For that, I keep a few rolls in the car and probably 1/4 roll worth in my bag, in a ziplock bag. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
10/27/21 11:37 a.m.
93EXCivic said:

The toliet paper at work. I swear 500 grit sandpaper would be more comfortable and do a better job cleaning. I literally don't understand how you make tp that is both this rough and bad at cleaning at the same time.

 

 

What I never understood was that it was always a cost cutting measure. berkeley that, don't you want happy, comfortable employees because they're moor productive?

Workplace theft is real, but good TP costs way less than the bosses vacations or bonuses.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/27/21 11:42 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Because I've always worked outside a roll on a loop of rope has always been in my backpack.  

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/21 11:49 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to mtn :

Because I've always worked outside a roll on a loop of rope has always been in my backpack.  

This. I keep some in my backpack as well as a package of Dude Wipes. 

 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/27/21 11:56 a.m.
93EXCivic said:

The toliet paper at work. I swear 500 grit sandpaper would be more comfortable and do a better job cleaning. I literally don't understand how you make tp that is both this rough and bad at cleaning at the same time.

The boss in charge of office supplies is chronically in a hurry and not very detail-oriented.

A couple times a year he comes back from Costco with an airlift-sized pallet of one-ply instead of two-ply.  It's always an annoying month until it all gets used up.

Fortunately, since you need at least 5 times as much one-ply, it doesn't last forever.  One-ply may cost 50% as much for initial purchase, but since you need to use 500% as much, it's a net loss.

 

wae
wae UberDork
10/27/21 1:31 p.m.
wae said:

Things things have to be related somehow, don't they?  First the truck cooks its alternator very suddenly.  Then the data link connector fuse blows.  Actually, come to think of it, that fuse had been blown for a while...  I thought my bluetooth OBD2 adapter was broken but if the fuse was blown that would be why it won't recognize the truck....  Anyway, then a coil connector needs to be jostled to get the truck to stop misfiring...  and today, the PATS system is having a conniption and preventing the truck from starting with either key.  I guess the good news is that it decided to have that fit while I'm here at home, but I don't have any spare fuses here to get the data link connector working so I can install Forscan on my tablet and try to poke PATS with a stick....

This doesn't make any sense....  I put a new fuse in for the DLC/Cigarette lighter.  "In theory" there's nothing else on that circuit.  Something went "click" under the dash really loudly.  Now PATS is happy, no more U1262 code, and the truck starts just fine.  But that fuse has been blown for probably at least a month or two.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/27/21 2:17 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to mtn :

Because I've always worked outside a roll on a loop of rope has always been in my backpack.  

Back in the 70's I worked for a builder and it wasn't always "code" to have a porta potty on the job site so all the tradesmen had a roll of TP on their dashboards.  

The fun part was if a guy couldn't make it to McDonald's they found an empty 25# nail box and a crawl space and a month later I'm having to sweep out the basement and remove the boxes.   

That's why the guy pooping in his bosses van is funny to me.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/28/21 1:51 a.m.

A sock is a surprisingly comfortable way to wipe your ass.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
10/28/21 9:46 a.m.
Appleseed said:

A sock is a surprisingly comfortable way to wipe your ass.

I can't decide if this is better in the  "TIL", "Minor Confession" or "Minor Win" threads

1 ... 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 ... 1508
Our Preferred Partners
EKEEzVBZn0wrbxigleifVkvv9cISojAwDvqAWrYfOgsw3kJYGMjgHFB2yFrGhl1E