1 ... 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 ... 1928
Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/28/21 10:34 p.m.

None of the neat new stuff is actually for sale. Everything is preorder, crowdfunded, or waitlisted. 

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
10/28/21 11:34 p.m.

On-Off-On switch for a winch control.
Not willing to pay around $100.00+ for one just because it includes a nice handle and is brand name.
It's really just a $5.00 - $18.00 switch mounted to a handle with a length of wire!
Only needed as the factory "Remote" switch ceased to function and of course no replacement is available.
So I pulled the control box apart and located the three terminals needed for switching.
Lots of stores list the switches on their sites, but none have them in stock. no

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/28/21 11:50 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
Appleseed said:

A sock is a surprisingly comfortable way to wipe your ass.

I can't decide if this is better in the  "TIL", "Minor Confession" or "Minor Win" threads

Suddenly it's clear to me that we need a berkeleying TMI thread.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/29/21 7:27 a.m.

Another berkeleying punctured tire! This is 3 flats in a year after almost a decade of nothing. First was a knife blade. That at least took out a worn out snow tire and I was able to switch to summers. Second was a screw in the tread AND a nail in the sidewall (no idea how the berkeley that happened) and that was in almost worn out summer tires.  Today was a 8mm bolt in my 5k mile old PS4S.  Luckily it is patchable and not a track tire. And fortunately, it happened 5 minutes from home. I was able to get back without it going flat and I did an unexpected swap to my snow tires this morning - in my garage and not the rain. So rant and minor win in the same thread?

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
10/29/21 10:31 a.m.

Finally got my insurance claim settled on my trailer for the hail damage.  Now I just need an MVD inspection for roadworthiness because of the salvage title, even though there was zero mechanical/structural damage.  The next available appointment at the local office is the week of Christmas, in December!  And I'll be out of town.... 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/29/21 1:08 p.m.

You know what? I am a pretty easy guy to get along with at work. I only give compliments publicly, and criticism is minimal and 1 on 1. I single people out for public celebration, say please and thank you, never borrow anything I don't return, make sure my crap is never in the way, make sure nobody is every waiting on me. etc.

You want to write me a pissy Email with "reply all" with a bunch of questions that we already answered in the meeting that ended an hour ago, including three VPs? Guess what, you're getting ignored. That's a hard pass from me. Something something wrestling with a pig. Next guy writes the next day asking why I never answered, also reply to all, also pissy? I'm ignoring you too, chief. I'm not playing Email pissing match. Nobody wins and everyone looks like an idiot. Next time pay attention or call me for something you missed.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
10/29/21 1:32 p.m.
tuna55 said:

Next time pay attention or call me for something you missed.

That would have been my answer.

You only have to do it once and the BS stops forever.

Ask me how I know.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/29/21 1:36 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:
tuna55 said:

Next time pay attention or call me for something you missed.

That would have been my answer.

You only have to do it once and the BS stops forever.

Ask me how I know.

I regret that I have but one thumbs up to give on this

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/29/21 1:58 p.m.

Well, New York just signed a law where, effectively immediately, any sort of exhaust modification fails your yearly inspection, and they also bumped loud exhaust tickets from $150 to $1000. So, my supercharged Miata has just essentially been converted to a very expensive lawn ornament.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
10/29/21 2:19 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

There are a few states that I couldn't be paid enough to move to. New York is high on that list. Virginia is at the top. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/29/21 2:45 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

In reply to NickD :

There are a few states that I couldn't be paid enough to move to. New York is high on that list. Virginia is at the top. 

My list keeps getting bigger and bigger every year. Of course, most of the south is automatically ruled out because of the oppressive weather y'all have down there.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/21 3:16 p.m.
CAinCA said:
Appleseed said:

I can't decide if this is better in the  "TIL", "Minor Confession" or "Minor Win" threads

I am pretty sure we don't.

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
10/29/21 3:24 p.m.

I got an email from my company this morning asking about my progress on obtaining my CASP + certification since it's due at the end of November. This email is the first I have been told that I'm required to have this (very expensive, and supposedly very difficult) certification, so I'm a bit peeved about it. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/29/21 3:35 p.m.
NickD said:

Well, New York just signed a law where, effectively immediately, any sort of exhaust modification fails your yearly inspection, and they also bumped loud exhaust tickets from $150 to $1000. So, my supercharged Miata has just essentially been converted to a very expensive lawn ornament.

I would say 90% of cars over five years old will fail.

Rainbow Muffler $89.95 exhaust? Modified.

Cut out a rotted flange and sleeved the two ends together? Modified.

Any non OE parts? Modified.

hell, for most cars, you cannot get OE exhaust parts.  Never made available.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/29/21 3:50 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
NickD said:

I would say 90% of cars over five years old will fail.

Rainbow Muffler $89.95 exhaust? Modified.

Cut out a rotted flange and sleeved the two ends together? Modified.

Any non OE parts? Modified.

hell, for most cars, you cannot get OE exhaust parts.  Never made available.

Yeah, I'm waiting to hear what exactly constitutes "modified", as the DMV has not sent down any word from on high. But a Racing Beat header, ISR Performance resonated test pipe and a Good-Win Racing cat-back exhaust are pretty blatantly modified. And it is noticeably louder than stock. Also, my Miata doesn't even have the correct year engine (it's a '90 1.6L car with a '99 1.8L) so if I put a stock exhaust manifold on it, would it still count as modified because ots not the manifold the car came with?

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/21 4:08 p.m.
mtn said:
Scotty Con Queso said:

In reply to NickD :

My list keeps getting bigger and bigger every year. Of course, most of the south is automatically ruled out because of the oppressive weather y'all have down there.

They make A/C to fix the heat problem. 

The last time the government problem got fixed it got a little bloody. Probably will next time as well.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
10/29/21 4:20 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I'm not really a southerner, but I'll take oppressive heat over oppressive government. 

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
10/29/21 4:21 p.m.

In reply to NickD : Three words, "Ex Post Facto".
If it comes up tell them you are grandfathered in.
May not work without a $50.00 handshake (I've been to NYC) but might make you more trouble than it's worth to go after you.
If it does become an issue you will have "Standing" to join with others for the class action suit to overturn their clearly Ex Post Facto legislation.

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/29/21 4:24 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

Equipment violations have no grandfather clause.

It might be your car, but it is public roads.  Something something the bear makes the rules.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/29/21 4:30 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
CAinCA said:
Appleseed said:

I'm 100% sure I don't know What TMI stands for.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
10/29/21 5:30 p.m.

TYL: Too much information

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/29/21 6:04 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
CAinCA said:
Appleseed said:

It was a joke. I should have put a smiley next to it.  ;^P

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/30/21 6:03 p.m.

We actually have/used to have a TMI thread.

On the phone front, there is a strong chance I'll be getting Draco's phone, or its little brother.  Probably the little brother, because size.

I'm not THRILLED about having a monthly phone bill, but I plan on making full use of hotspot ability.  If you're gonna go, go all in.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
10/30/21 6:20 p.m.

Really minor rant:

We made it through the big wind rain storm mid week with hardly a flicker of the lights.  It’s raining again here today but no wind to speak of.  I’ve been fooling around on my guitar and I’m showing my daughter the main riff from Ghost’s “Square Hammer” and right around then we hear a big boom and the lights go out.   Bad luck or karma? LOL.

In the dark for over an hour, back on now.  (Thanks fellas! I wouldn’t want to be screwing around with high voltage in the rain.) 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/21 6:40 p.m.

Major minor rant - Stupid cat cost me $650 for a caliper but it's also my fault too.

Berk me.

1 ... 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 ... 1928

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
glSwPXVmuWBMjsmW5LJ7LtwdYZklCZtSIE2qUMvAMkrTwLlGDl1DtJGMoj9EwDqk