1 ... 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 ... 1928
wae
wae UberDork
11/23/21 8:37 a.m.
Saron81 said:

I see a trip to the bakery depot of your local grocery store in your near future. 

You mean, like, pay someone else money to make a pie for me?  I started making the crust about three minutes after posting my rant and the pie is in the oven baking right now!  I can't imagine actually eating a pie made by a grocery store...

wae
wae UberDork
11/23/21 8:40 a.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:. A $40 commercial handset is not equal to a $200 handset. One of them will last a year or two. One will last as long as the building.

To be fair, if they did the rest of the building like that, maybe the $40 one will last the life of the building!

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/23/21 8:47 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

I always tell people when we are talking about concrete that good concrete will out last your grandchildren. Bad concrete will last a few years and need replaced, it's not worth it to save a few hundred dollars.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/23/21 11:00 a.m.

The property management company I rent my house from just called me to inform me that the house owner is raising my rent...

By almost $500 a month!

I've been living there almost 3 years and it's only raised $25 a month each year. But I guess he's missing out on some extra profit due to the crazy housing market.

My rent is going from $1700 a month to $2195 a month when my lease renews at the end of December. I'm not paying that much for that crappy house!

Now I have to decide if I want to move (moving expenses plus the cost of starting a new lease), buy a house (possibly the worst time to buy right now) or just suck it up.

He literally has me over a barrel right now and it berkeleying sucks angry

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/23/21 11:06 a.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle :

It being Florida you might be berkeleyed, however a good amount of other states say that you can only raise rent by X% annually.  May be worth looking into, but again I doubt Florida has those protections

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/23/21 11:51 a.m.
stanger_mussle said:

The property management company I rent my house from just called me to inform me that the house owner is raising my rent...

By almost $500 a month!

I've been living there almost 3 years and it's only raised $25 a month each year. But I guess he's missing out on some extra profit due to the crazy housing market.

My rent is going from $1700 a month to $2195 a month when my lease renews at the end of December. I'm not paying that much for that crappy house!

Now I have to decide if I want to move (moving expenses plus the cost of starting a new lease), buy a house (possibly the worst time to buy right now) or just suck it up.

Step one: Sell everything that isn't irreplaceable/sentimental/useful
Step two: Get a storage unit, large enough for your vehicles and the stuff you can't sell
Step three: Buy a camper/RV
Step four: Look for a new place to live when you're not over a barrel.

Having a significant other and/or kids will make this harder though. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/23/21 2:01 p.m.
mtn said:
stanger_mussle said:

By almost $500 a month!

Step one: Sell everything that isn't irreplaceable/sentimental/useful
Step two: Get a storage unit, large enough for your vehicles and the stuff you can't sell
Step three: Buy a camper/RV
Step four: Look for a new place to live when you're not over a barrel.

Having a significant other and/or kids will make this harder though. 

I was very seriously looking at doing just that when I put my old house up for sale... I figured the two cats I had then and I would do just fine in a small RV/camper for what I hoped would be a quick sale and be a lot cheaper in the long run than other options. Ultimately, I ended up moving in with The Dancer (then girlfriend, now wife) which was probably the wiser move since it took over a year for the house to sell. Probably cost me more in the long run, but ultimately well worth it as well.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/23/21 4:32 p.m.
wae said:
Saron81 said:

I see a trip to the bakery depot of your local grocery store in your near future. 

You mean, like, pay someone else money to make a pie for me?  I started making the crust about three minutes after posting my rant and the pie is in the oven baking right now!  I can't imagine actually eating a pie made by a grocery store...

Lower.

Your.

Standards.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/23/21 4:44 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

E36 M3, I grow my own pie pumpkins.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
11/23/21 5:05 p.m.

Apparently the car is going to be picked up tomorrow and taking the plates off I realized I've been driving it almost a year without a current sticker.

I guess that's a win because I not only saved a year's registration but somehow the cop ether didn't realize it or didn't care, which is doubly good because my insurance would have frowned on that pretty heavily.

But the rant is that I can't account for how that happened, except for getting old and forgetting pretty much everything lately

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/21 12:55 p.m.

It's the day before Thanksgiving, part one. Your door has failed. I told you that your door was going to fail 6 weeks ago when I quoted the necessary repairs. I also half-jokingly said that it would fail at the most inopportune time. Whoops. No, there is nothing I can do to "get" you through the weekend. I'm terribly sorry the temps are the lowest they have been in 8 months. Oh, and pay that past due invoice while you are thinking about it. If you will approve that quote I can get that repair done as soon as that past due invoice is cleared up and the parts come in. Maybe the end of next week. 

It's the day before Thanksgiving, part 2. Your door has failed. I told you it had particularly poor hardware on it the last time we patched it up with used parts you had on the shelf. I suggested quoting a replacement then due to lack of parts availability and poor design. You declined. Now, you don't have any more parts. I can't get parts and it's broken leading into a long weekend and you have to have it fixed today because it goes into your OR area. Well, tough E36 M3 dumb ass. Wish in one hand, E36 M3 in the other, and see which one fills up first. Oh by the way, would you like that quote for replacement now? It shouldn't take more than a month or two to get replacement doors and hardware. 

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/24/21 6:07 p.m.

I was putting up Christmas lights today and blew the ass out of my pants. It must be a Nick from CNY thing... they were wore out jeans and it ripped at the pocket but it still doesn't make you feel awesome. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/24/21 6:48 p.m.
stanger_mussle said:

By almost $500 a month!

You must be in Florida. 

My ex has been dealing with the same thing.  First the said $300 increase then two weeks later said $850. She counter offered them the original $300 increase which they agreed to for a year but then it would go up maybe more than the $850. She's looked for other places to rent and even buying a house but the market is crazy.  She's already paying more than twice my rent. 

I feel for both of you. 

11/24/21 7:21 p.m.
Nick Comstock said:
stanger_mussle said:

By almost $500 a month!

You must be in Florida. 

My ex has been dealing with the same thing.  First the said $300 increase then two weeks later said $850. She counter offered them the original $300 increase which they agreed to for a year but then it would go up maybe more than the $850. She's looked for other places to rent and even buying a house but the market is crazy.  She's already paying more than twice my rent. 

I feel for both of you. 

Rent is rising like crazy here too.

I'm so glad my mortgage is less than any of the figures listed

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/24/21 7:30 p.m.

I'm stressing out.  I've been off work recovering from a shoulder surgery since August. I see the doc Tuesday,  hopefully to get fully released to go back to work.  But work is a miss managed nightmare.  My department manager quit last week.  Our department lost 5 people since I've been out.  I'm sure they're gonna put me back on night shift,  which I loath with a passion.  I'm running out of time to win the lottery so I never have to go back to that place.  

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/24/21 7:33 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

I'm sure it's gonna go up everywhere but I've never seen anything like what's going on in Florida right now.  Luckily my landlady hasn't mentioned raising my rent... yet.  But I expect it to happen. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/24/21 7:33 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Scat mat will train them to stay off the counter. Buy the name brand, the Amazon and eBay copies don't hold up. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/24/21 7:44 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle :

30% increase.  That's crazy.  

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/24/21 8:33 p.m.

Ugh don't give my landlord any ideas, we already pay more than 3k a month for a house that's nothing special.

Been here for 4 years, she's raised it a few times but ~$100 at a time.

11/24/21 8:53 p.m.
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) said:

Ugh don't give my landlord any ideas, we already pay more than 3k a month for a house that's nothing special.

Been here for 4 years, she's raised it a few times but ~$100 at a time.

Jesus....

My mortgage is $140

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/25/21 12:47 a.m.

Currently having the worst episode of sciatica in my life. No position is comfortable. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/25/21 8:53 a.m.

Here in rural AZ, one-bedroom apartments are renting at $1500/mo.  The average house in our county is $460k according to Zillow, a 34% rise this year.  For some perspective, probably a quarter of the county population lives in single wide trailers.  And Sedona probably skews things a bit in the other direction.

This insanity is everywhere, and I don't see how it can last.  We are already having problems hiring new employees, because they simply can't afford to live here.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/25/21 9:17 a.m.

$140 a month was 10% of a normal mortgage payment before this hit.

11/25/21 12:53 p.m.
Duke said:

$140 a month was 10% of a normal mortgage payment before this hit.

It's handy having low housing costs, let me tell you.

Of course it was bare land when bought and I had to build the house first

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
11/25/21 1:45 p.m.
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) said:

Currently having the worst episode of sciatica in my life. No position is comfortable. 

I had flashbacks when I read your post. Haven't had sciatica in over 25 years.

Later that evening I was rolling up a garden hose in the cold.... and bam, it's back.

Put myself on light duty today. 

1 ... 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 ... 1928

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rInVrIvMwdkLIHIbt1QY5rpgYvIGjFlYitII1JIkPnPsSrINl1HyWU9Swiies6uH