Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/16/22 11:44 p.m.

1,600 pages.

Crybabies.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/22 7:59 a.m.

This thing hurts and it isn't getting any better. Time to go see a Doc. 

20220517_075605.jpg

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
5/17/22 8:26 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Geez that looks painful. Go see a doctor for sure! 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
5/17/22 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

A sty for your eye!

wae
wae PowerDork
5/17/22 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I don't mean to make light of your condition there, because that looks incredibly painful and irritating.

But, posting that right after "crybabies"?  Priceless.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/17/22 1:36 p.m.

Well that was fun. I never want to do that again.

Blackstone griddle finally arrived. Put it together, connected the propane so it could preheat, turned around to get my oil to season, turned back, and the FIXING PROPANE TANK WAS ON berkeleyING FIRE.

REGULATOR is melted. So another week before I can use it, minimum. 

Luckily, I guess, I got it put out and shut off with just a second degree burn on my index finger. 

That'll berkeleying wake you up.

Toyman!
5/17/22 2:35 p.m.

In reply to wae :

I noticed that. It made me smile. 

I got antibiotic ointment, an oral antibiotic, and a referral to an optometrist to have it lanced if it has not improved after 4 days. 

I'm pretty sure having a lower eyelid lanced is not at the top of fun things to do on a Friday afternoon. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/17/22 4:36 p.m.

When any financial transaction benefits the financial institution it happens at light speed. When it benefits the customer it moves at a snail's pace. I sold some stock yesterday to finance a car purchase. Apparently the cash won't hit my account until tomorrow then I have to transfer it to my checking account which will take another couple days.

I don't know why I even try to ask questions on Amazon. I received exactly what I was expecting frown.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
5/17/22 6:27 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to wae :

I noticed that. It made me smile. 

I got antibiotic ointment, an oral antibiotic, and a referral to an optometrist to have it lanced if it has not improved after 4 days. 

I'm pretty sure having a lower eyelid lanced is not at the top of fun things to do on a Friday afternoon. 

Having the lower lid lanced beats hell out of having back side of upper lid lanced. (But I hope it's not needed).

Hot compresses may help.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/22 6:32 p.m.

I need to stop watching gun "restoration" videos that start with someone with a screw driver scraping off the corrosion of a hundred year old gun, swiftly followed by a wire wheel in an angle grinder or a drill.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/17/22 6:33 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/22 6:35 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Ugh.  I am not a restoration expert but I have done enough work with scrapers and wire wheels to know they screw up metal.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/22 6:40 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

What especially makes me yell at the computer is when you can see the original finish appearing under the dirt and corrosion, only to be promptly removed by the wire wheel of death. That then leaves nice marks on the metal, thus messing it up for good.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/18/22 9:05 a.m.

So many rants... but the main one: I hate copyright. Now, don't get me wrong- I understand the purpose of it, and respect that content creators (of which my wife would be counted among them, though the copyright/trademark for choreography is difficult to understand) need protection to be able to benefit from their creativity and profit from it. But at a point- one which I believe we crossed waaaaaaay long ago it went from being a protection to allow you to make money from your creation without it being stolen so you could focus on the next one to being more important than creating E36 M3 in the first place. Why am I so pissed at copyright at the moment? Because it's almost certainly why I spent the entire evening yesterday running around town like a chicken with its head cut off trying to find a USB-C to HDMI adapter that would let my shiny new iMac connect to the decade-old DLP projector at the theater The Dancer has a show at tomorrow, instead of being at the theater for tech rehearsal. What does this have to do with copyright? I has to do with it because I'm 99% certain that the reason none of the FIVE different adapters are working is because the projector is, in computing terms, berking ancient and doesn't have all of the new HDCP protocols and secret handshakes so the computer & adapter go WHOOOOA I can't be 200% certain that somebody might not be trying to record what is being transmitted over this cable so berkeley YOU NO VIDEO.

I have one last hope of getting the new iMac to work with the projector: picking up a USB-C to VGA (yes.... it's 2022, I can make phone calls from my watch and there is a device the size of a dorm fridge sitting next to me that take pretty much anything I can imagine- and draft up in a CAD program- and turn it into a physical object- and I'm using VGA) adapter from Best Buy when they open in a few hours and using that (since of course the projector has VGA) and hoping that my iMac doesn't laugh its ass off at the concept and will connect to the projector. If that doesn't work? Thankfully my old iMac- which is the same vintage as the projector- doesn't have the newer HDCP crap that the newer computer does and will connect. The catch? The newer version of the show production software that I bought the license for also doesn't work on the older computer and the old iMac isn't capable of running the OS version necessary for the new version of the production software. So I also have to deal with trying to get a license for the older version- ideally without paying another $50 for it.

Why is doing stress analysis work to make sure helicopters don't fall out of the sky and kill people less stressful and frustrating than hooking a computer up to a projector? 

Oh, and also- I left my computer bifocals at the theater and am having to use an older pair of reading glasses while working today. Fun.

Toyman!
5/18/22 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

I just went through this with a monitor. I was going from VGA on the video card to HDMI in on the monitor. The cables are readily available and don't work. You probably need to make sure you are buying an adapter and not just a cable. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/18/22 9:49 a.m.

Hey, Appleseed,  why are you a luddite? Read the above posts.

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/18/22 9:54 a.m.
Toyman! said:

I just went through this with a monitor. I was going from VGA on the video card to HDMI in on the monitor. The cables are readily available and don't work. You probably need to make sure you are buying an adapter and not just a cable. 

It's an adapter, or at least claims to be: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-usb-type-c-to-vga-adapter-white/4480402.p?skuId=4480402

I don't have massively huge hopes of it working, though I really hope it does. 

Toyman!
5/18/22 11:04 a.m.

Well, that looks a lot like the adapter I'm using. Good luck. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/18/22 11:42 a.m.

Homeless encampments. I realize that could get political very quickly so I'll try not to say much. Bottom line, there is no one solution that will fix all. I know this. But appeasing and even pandering to these things is dangerous.

I woke up yesterday, went downstairs to make a cup of coffee for my girlfriend and while it was dribbling out I heard a large boom. I couldn't tell where it came from so I ran upstairs to make sure she was okay. She was still asleep but got up and looked around. Peeped out the hall window at the encampment a block or two away and it was billowing black smoke.

On the plus side, Tacoma FD was on the scene in literally under 3 minutes.

That is a vacant city-owned lot that has been overrun with people and trash. I honestly wouldn't even care if they all camped there as long as they picked up their berkeleying trash. It literally looks like a dump.

I don't think anyone was injured or killed because when I drove by a half hour later there was no fire, no FD, no PD and no EMS. Just drugged out homeless stumbling around the property.

Edit; google street view of the front side of the spot from last december. Ugh.

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/18/22 12:08 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Initial results aren't promising... I can't get the computer to display on the crappy old flat panel monitor, it just does the same thing it did with the several stacked adapters last night: comes up with "D-sub Power Save" and turns off. However, I'm not counting it out completely... it does the exact same thing when I have the HDMI adapter and my HDMI->DVI cable (which I know works, since I was using it with the old monitor I had from work before they sent me the nice new 34" widescreen one) plugged into it from the iMac, so it's possible that something between the two doesn't want to play nice since when I unplug the cable completely from the monitor it sits there and says, 'check connection'. So hopefully the VGA setup will work with the projector... but I won't get to test that for a few more hours- and then if it doesn't work will have to probably pay for the rental license for the older computer since the support for the production software hasn't gotten back to me yet.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/18/22 12:56 p.m.

My mother and stepfather took a gamble and went on a cruise last week.  Both now have Covid, and are definitely not feeling great.  At least they are up to date on boosters, so it is very unlikely they'll have it bad enough to need to go to the hospital, but I still worry.  Of course, they are also 1000 miles away, so there's pretty much nothing I can do to help.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/18/22 1:09 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

The trash! Oh man they're so messy. The city here recently cleared out an encampment and it took a bobcat and several loads of a full size dump truck. Good lord. 

wae
wae PowerDork
5/18/22 1:11 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Oh, man, that's certainly not good.  I sure hope they're feeling better soon!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/22 1:12 p.m.

40,000 posts. *scoffs*

1 ... 1598 1599 1600 1601 1602 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7j0QydNsIgnGVGoUiGKmMy12353XvjiZf4vKpH2o2r5WMLIvy5hdDTzjBzsx3SaK