1 ... 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 ... 1679
Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/2/22 10:09 a.m.
RichardNZ said:

Further to the comments up thread on wills and inheritances the NZ Law Society has just released a report that says "testamentary inheritance" (ie a will) is grossly outdated and legislation is needed to fix it by defining how an estate should be divided based on age, need, relationship (including children of a previous partner) yada  yada  yada .  Sounds to me like a field day for the legal profession ...

Wow.  Just, WOW.  "What's ours is ours, and what's yours is ours too."

I'd berking start a riot if that became an actual law.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/22 10:24 a.m.

In reply to iansane :

My grandmother inherited a nice pile of money from her parents. She lived very comfortably and spoiled most of her kids, grandkids and great grandkids. A couple of relatives misguessed how much she was spending and were greatly disappointed when the will was opened and they were given far less than anticipated.  The rest of us got a pretty good laugh from it. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/2/22 10:30 a.m.

Further adventures - they found a copy of the will, and realized it did not say what they thought.  Still accusing my mom of stealing the money that was going to go to higher education for the person who is not pursuing higher education.  Not really sure how this should end.  It was a verbal commitment, not written anywhere, and potential recipient obviously hasn't met their end of the commitment.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/2/22 10:35 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Easier said than done, but it sounds like it should end right there.  Good luck, man.

wae
wae PowerDork
6/2/22 10:41 a.m.

I hope that makes it at least a little bit easier on your mom.  Lord knows she's got enough to deal with!  How's she's doing fighting off the covid, btw?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/2/22 10:56 a.m.

In reply to wae :

She retested a couple days ago, and is still positive.  So, it's been about three weeks now.  sad  Said she'd been feeling a bit better until all this blew up, and is trying to get up and move a bit, but staying home is really getting to her.

wae
wae PowerDork
6/2/22 10:59 a.m.

That kind of drama isn't exactly the type of distraction that she needs to help her recover.  Here's hoping for the best for her!

slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/2/22 11:33 a.m.
slefain said:

Yesterday some jackass decided to empty this carpet cleaning truck into the storm drain in front of my house. Took me a second to realize what he was doing. Once he saw me watching him he slammed the doors shut and took off.....to the condos around the corner. So I waltzed down there and found the truck, snapped pics of the plate and sent them to the city. That storm drain actually flows into my back yard, it doesn't just magically disappear. Hope the EPA fines the E36 M3 out of him.

Well that was quick. Just got an email from the city that dude now has a July court date for illicit discharge into a storm sewer. That's pretty much instant karma by government standards.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/22 11:50 a.m.

I know this sounds like 1st world problems.. but this has been the more boring vacation I have ever had to take.  Basically, I get 224 hours a year in PTO,  I am only allowed to carry over 80 of them past my anniversary  date (June 8).  With my Umbilical hernia, I am not allowed to pick up anything heavy.  I have surgery scheduled to fix it on the 9th, the earliest date they could get me in.  Unfortunately, Corporate would not let me carry over any of my PTO to cover the time off I need to recover.  So I am sitting here at home, trying to occupy my time with doing small projects until I go under the knife next week.  

Then I need to eat those 80 hours I carried over to recover.. plus any other days I need due to this work accident.  So them not letting me carry over hours for an emergancy they created, is going to cost them money.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
6/2/22 12:22 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

If I'm remembering correctly your injury was caused by something you did at work correct?   How is this not all covered by workmen's compensation?  You shouldn't be "eating" anything.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/2/22 1:36 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to NickD :

That sucks.

If anything kills autocross as a sport, it's going to be lack of available venues.

The positive side is that this site isn't that important to us. We just got it last year, only used it one weekend for a doubleheader event, and then it was only on the schedule for a weekend this year as well. Our main site is pretty secure for the foreseeable future, because we use a police EVOC site at an airport, and the airport manager that gives us permission to use it is a sportscar kind of guy (member of the Porsche Club of America, for example). Hopefully the ownership dispute over this track gets settled in a timely manner and we can use it again next year or maybe later this season.

What worries me more for our region is the potential lack of leadership. The guy in charge has said he is done being in charge after this year and that he will not run the program next year, so we have to find a replacement. So far no one seems to be stepping forward though. I've got a couple people eyeing me as his replacement but I'm physically far removed from everyone else in the region, so I don't want to be making 2-3 hour roundtrips for all the meetings or to exhange paperwork or money with the other key members.  

mad_machine
6/2/22 2:07 p.m.
11GTCS said:

If I'm remembering correctly your injury was caused by something you did at work correct?   How is this not all covered by workmen's compensation?  You shouldn't be "eating" anything.

According to work,  I have to use up all my PTO before they will pay me to be out because my workplace injury.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/2/22 2:10 p.m.

IANAL, but a quick search said, in NJ, they can only make you take 2 weeks of your PTO before getting workers comp benefits.  You may want to do a little digging.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/22 2:39 p.m.

Also, some Employers will make up any sort of policy they want and then try to act as though it's the law, when in fact it may be against the law.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/2/22 3:10 p.m.

Schaumburg is still filled with Schaumbags.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
6/2/22 4:31 p.m.

Just ordered $500 worth of suspension parts for the QX4... it feels like it was just yesterday that I replaced all of its struts & shocks, but as near as I can tell it's been 4 years (and it has never really stopped making annoying noises since). Hopefully the new parts will stop the noise at least, and improve the ride a bit. I'm pretty convinced that the E46 could use new shocks as well, but they're not bad enough to worry about at the moment and I figure it would be helpful to stagger replacing suspensions on the vehicles.

Additionally, I'm going to have to do all the work on the QX4 in the driveway since the DMC is in the garage (and clearly not going anywhere for a while). Granted, I had to do pretty much all of the work on my cars in the driveway initially before I sold the Elky but I've gotten spoiled. Also... I hope I can get everything else that needs to be done around here quickly so I can actually start making progress on the DMC again.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/2/22 5:08 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I had a customer from Evansville, IN come to the area for work training and came to my house to get dinner the day before.

me - where you staying?

he - hotel in "Sham - Bow" 

wife and I still laugh.   Where?  We had no clue.   Oh, Schaumburg 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/2/22 9:14 p.m.

My rare Russian guitar amp arrived......and it's broken

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/2/22 9:25 p.m.

Facebook seems dead set on showing me a post from a relative that contains the worst misinformation I've seen in a while, and I'm just trying to be nice.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/2/22 10:26 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to Appleseed :

I had a customer from Evansville, IN come to the area for work training and came to my house to get dinner the day before.

me - where you staying?

My uncle once pronounced Mundelein as mundane.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/3/22 7:17 a.m.

Credit card got declined on raw materials for a brew the owner wanted me to do after telling me to go ahead and do it. Supposedly funds will be put on the card today to be able to complete the order.

Unfortunately, this means I won't get materials in time to brew before going on vacation. So we'll lose 3 weeks of sales window on a very summer-seasonal beer that we really should have released by now. It now wouldn't be ready until earliest end of July. Most likely ready first week of August.

Apparently this is my fault because I didn't submit a written purchase order a week ahead of time for the basic materials I need to do my job. I guess I was mistaken to assume that, "Go ahead," meant I should go ahead.

Never mind that I've been sending weekly emails saying we need a production scheduling meeting for months now with no response from the owner.

mad_machine
6/3/22 8:53 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to Appleseed :

me - where you staying?

I used to live in Absecon NJ.  Natives call it Ab-see-can.  Everyone else pronounces it Ob-say-kon

BTW.  the Island Atlantic City is on.. is not Atlantic City. it is Absecon Island.  It is shared by the towns of Long Port, Margate, Ventnor, and Atlantic City

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
6/3/22 3:11 p.m.

Minor win, I got the deck back on the new tractor by myself.it took two of us an hour last time, by myself about 20 minutes. 

Minor rant, I must have twisted the belt, got most of the way done with the yard and it shredded. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/3/22 5:05 p.m.

Ive been looking forward to food truck Friday for weeks. Only happens once a month. 

It was rained out last month. 

Lightning and heavy rain just started again. 

And i skipped lunch so i wouldn't feel guilty about gorging myself on the fish and chips guy.

berkeleying berkeleyity berkeley. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
6/3/22 7:13 p.m.

Whoever thought these two piece lug nuts were a good idea should be dipped in E36 M3 and slapped for stinking.  They expand with age which would prevent using the factory lug wrench if the spare was needed.   Even with buying a set of impact “flip” sockets that give you the extra half millimeter and using an impact gun it was a PITA job.  

My daughter’s ‘17 Focus wasn’t too bad, all but one was a push fit with the 19.5 mm size but 19 of the 20 on my wife’s ‘13 Fusion fought me.  Had to drive the socket on with a hammer and then use a drift pin on the vise to push the stuck one out.  All done now with new one piece chrome plated replacements.   The Mustang and the Explorer look to have similar lug nuts so we’ll be checking those out soon. 

1 ... 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 ... 1679
Our Preferred Partners
svtUYOtOAxUFuLgXtCF7zMJWZMfHo0k0O5bP7B9rRXDevN2STElT7NHYua5Sf2E0