1 ... 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 ... 1927
wae
wae PowerDork
6/3/22 7:42 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Preach!

I hate those things with a burning passion.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/3/22 7:44 p.m.

Knock the chrome off and use an 18mm.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
6/3/22 8:10 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Oh we had to do that on several of them.  

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/22 8:27 p.m.

Note to self: even when you're somewhat doctor-averse and like the typical male of the species only go there when you feel like you're about to croak, maybe it would've been a good idea to do so a bit earlier when I felt a bit, well, off.

Fortunately my wife dragged me to an annual physical at a new clinic she wanted to try out, and that yielded a few surprises.

Anyway, guys, if you're feeling like E36 M3, take this muppet's advice and get your behind to your doctor if you can.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/22 8:56 p.m.

Between how low the Supra is and how limited my shoulder mobility is, I kerbed one front (satin black) wheel at the Kansas Turnpike toll plaza while picking up the ticket and dinged paint off of the driver's door edge while paying at the exit.

Damage in both cases is just superficial (and repairable), but it's the first visible damage to the car with not even 3,000 miles on it yet.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/22 10:21 a.m.

I have to go over to my father's house today and fix his outside outlet.. again.  Because he never just unplugs the cord, but yanks it from across the yard, he is constantly destroying the outlet itself.  I think this is the third one I have replace for him.  From what I understand he managed to destroy the entire box this time and mice are getting in through the resulting hole.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/22 11:36 a.m.

The house and vet clinic, with the horse barn at the vet clinic, are about a mile apart. 

When my wife got back from horse chores this morning, she was greeted in our garage by one of the barn kittens, who then disappeared shortly after. 

I'm out of town, my wife asked how to open the hood on the X3e-- it's a newer BMW, so it's a two pull to open.  There she found this:

We call her Goblin. Wife says she is getting spayed ASAP. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/22 1:54 p.m.
11GTCS said:

Whoever thought these two piece lug nuts were a good idea should be dipped in E36 M3 and slapped for stinking.  They expand with age which would prevent using the factory lug wrench if the spare was needed.   Even with buying a set of impact “flip” sockets that give you the extra half millimeter and using an impact gun it was a PITA job.  

My daughter’s ‘17 Focus wasn’t too bad, all but one was a push fit with the 19.5 mm size but 19 of the 20 on my wife’s ‘13 Fusion fought me.  Had to drive the socket on with a hammer and then use a drift pin on the vise to push the stuck one out.  All done now with new one piece chrome plated replacements.   The Mustang and the Explorer look to have similar lug nuts so we’ll be checking those out soon. 

Future reference, I have worked out this method that works a peach on 90% of them.  Because most people balk at spending $14 a lug nut times 24 lug nuts.

Hammer the deepwell socket on.  While it is still on and the lug nut is tight, hammer the back of the socket sideways in the four cardinal directions, up, down, side to side.  You will be able to slip the socket back off.  Verify this BEFORE you even try to loosen it.

And curse Ford and Chrysler for using these thin shell lug nuts.

mad_machine
6/4/22 3:20 p.m.
mad_machine said:

I have to go over to my father's house today and fix his outside outlet.. again.  Because he never just unplugs the cord, but yanks it from across the yard, he is constantly destroying the outlet itself.  I think this is the third one I have replace for him.  From what I understand he managed to destroy the entire box this time and mice are getting in through the resulting hole.

And this is what I found when I got there.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/4/22 5:40 p.m.

Burned some fingertips on an exhaust today.  This will slow down my car work over the rest of the weekend, and my regular work until they heal up some.

mad_machine
6/4/22 6:59 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Burned some fingertips on an exhaust today.  This will slow down my car work over the rest of the weekend, and my regular work until they heal up some.

You didn't need those fingerprints now, did you?

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
6/4/22 11:50 p.m.

Why is it that my better half cannot have a yard sale without bringing home even more ish? The point is to get rid of things. 
So now we have a laserdisc player and 87 movies to watch. Literally. 87. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/5/22 2:16 a.m.

Ive been trying to make a Challenge now for a lot of years but I'm 2700 miles away and that makes it hard.

I just did some math, 5400 miles at 15mpg if I'm towing with my gmt400 comes out to almost $1800 at $4.99 a gallon. That's literally more than I have into either of my possible cars. berkeley.......

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/5/22 6:11 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

I used to have dozens of movies on laserdisc. They were great at the time nowadays I think the disc swapping would be a pain. I bet there's still collectors out there, for once you're done with it. I gave all mine away once I got into dvds. 

barefootcyborg5000
6/5/22 10:36 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I didn't check every title, but most of them seem to hover around $10 on eBay. And the machine is a nice Sony that should be an easy $200. So once we figure out a way to package the discs properly she should be able to make a decent amount. But that is a lot of work. Last time I watched anything on the platform was probably 1998

barefootcyborg5000
6/5/22 12:30 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Why is it that my better half cannot have a yard sale without bringing home even more ish? The point is to get rid of things. 

Aaaaaaand, it's broken. The lady assured her it worked, but that was likely verified in 2001. Great. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/5/22 12:40 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

That's a berkin' win and you won't convince me otherwise.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/5/22 3:13 p.m.

Nice to see Indycar still doesn't have a TV deal for the Canadian market.

Nice to feel appreciated.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/5/22 3:58 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Does it accept discs and refuse to spin up or does it refuse to open/close properly? The first might be the spindle motor the second is a belt. 

barefootcyborg5000
6/5/22 4:46 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Power on, won't open, powers off after about 15 seconds of nothing responding. Found a couple videos of folks finding bad capacitors on the driver... I may attempt to repair it just to appease wife. A bit concerned about the availability of electronic components right now. But I can't break it worse by testing a few caps. I can't hear any motors at all, which makes me think it's a controller issue instead of a motor issue. I did open the case to take a look. As far as consumer electronics go, this is definitely a quality machine. The controller for the drawer is a separate board and easy to access. I'll dig my meter out and test the caps and see if I can find an obvious fault. 

wae
wae PowerDork
6/5/22 7:56 p.m.

Clutch is starting to slip on the Mazda 5.  Apparently clutch kits are hard to come by for it.  Which surprises me because I thought it was mostly a Mazda 3 drivetrain....

barefootcyborg5000
6/5/22 8:12 p.m.

In reply to wae :

I wonder what the actual differences are? When I replaced the clutch on my 2.0 focus I remember some nonsense because of the dual mass flywheel, but the disk and pressure plate were identical to other models? Something like that anyway. It's been a while. Maybe try crossing individual numbers for the components against the same for a 3 or a focus on rock auto?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
6/5/22 8:17 p.m.

Bought an ugly Miata last fall.  It was 600 miles away but rust free and just $600.

I spent as much on gas getting it home as the car cost.  Replaced a rusted out gas tank.  New fuel pump, fuel filter and injectors.   Swapped on Koni Yellows, rebuilt the shifter, and the slave cylinder.   Threw a new ECU in and it fired up and ran (yay).   I'm on my way to having a decent beater.

Then it doesn't want to start again and today a mechanic friend of mine confirmed that the wiring harness is entirely borked.    

Part-out or sell as-is.   Either way it's disappointing.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/5/22 8:37 p.m.
KyAllroad said:

Bought an ugly Miata last fall.  It was 600 miles away but rust free and just $600.

I spent as much on gas getting it home as the car cost.  Replaced a rusted out gas tank.  New fuel pump, fuel filter and injectors.   Swapped on Koni Yellows, rebuilt the shifter, and the slave cylinder.   Threw a new ECU in and it fired up and ran (yay).   I'm on my way to having a decent beater.

Then it doesn't want to start again and today a mechanic friend of mine confirmed that the wiring harness is entirely borked.    

Part-out or sell as-is.   Either way it's disappointing.

Ooof. That blows.

My poor friend Noah bought a Mariner Blue '91 this winter, gorgeous Car with a matching hardtop, paid good money. Car had been a Nationals level E/Street car like 15 years ago, then was bought by one guy we race with and he never drove it, then he sold it to this other guy we race with who also never drove it, just tucked it in a garage for 10 years. Noah buys it, does all the maintenance, takes it to get it inspected and the AC compressor locks up and shreds the belt on the way there, then on the way back the Gates water pump he just put on exploded after only 7 miles. Then he starts looking under it more and finds the brake lines look like E36 M3 and all the suspension has thick scaly rust everywhere. Starts asking the guy he bought it from and "Oh, the garage used to have a leak, and that car often has a huge puddle under it." So now he won't have it ready this year because he has to swap all the suspension and do brake lines. And then some other guy had worked a codriving deal out with him, and sold off his Fiesta ST to cut his fleet of cars down, so now he doesn't have a ride this year either.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/5/22 8:39 p.m.
wae said:

Clutch is starting to slip on the Mazda 5.  Apparently clutch kits are hard to come by for it.  Which surprises me because I thought it was mostly a Mazda 3 drivetrain....

I think the 5 weighs about 500-600 lbs more than a 3, so I bet they made some changes to the clutch/flywheel to compensate for that.

1 ... 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vpi3HbmJ9TKEzKzk5X89i9OGoqmpGp0qdn8scwy5oCBzn0ubbR58LvdU6Z0jFlxO