1 ... 1614 1615 1616 1617 1618 ... 1928
j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
6/18/22 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

Feeling burned out as well.

I haven't taken time off in years because I always want to do something special but never make a plan. So even if it's to do nothing I'm taking next week off.

But now E36 M3 is hitting the fan on a job so I'm going to have to log in on Monday. I'm hoping that's the only day because I want some sleeping in and going to the pool time.

Toyman! said:

A couple of quick notes for my architect friends. 

This is the problem I'm dealing with except I've received no details from the architect. The general contractor is proceeding with pouring concrete even though I've pointed out errors in the slab drawings. It has tension cables running through it so we can't drill anchors into it afterwards.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/19/22 4:56 a.m.

Mom decided to stress herself out. And take a ride in an ambulance. Pisses me off because she'll tell my brothers, who are 1,200 miles away what's going on, but be cagey as berkeley with me. Goddammit, tell me the truth. You don't want to bother me? Skirting the issue bothers me. The brothers and I talk. They'll tell me. Hiding the problem won't work. You need to level with me so I can help you.

Nothing is more frustrating than a 67 year old toddler.

Side note: Sleep? Hahaha, not tonight,  motherberkeleyer.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/22 8:48 a.m.

I hear you appleseed.  My 75 year old Mother is the same.. and she lives with me!  

On a side note.. little over a week after surgery, I have to drive over to my Father's.  he was in the hospital friday for dehydration and they finally got him home at 5am saturday.  He left all his stuff at the hospital.  So I have to drive half an hour, pick it up, and drive it the two miles to his house.  This will be the first time I have driven since my surgery, I am not happy about it.

wae
wae PowerDork
6/19/22 8:53 a.m.

Dear makers of NyQuil:

BullE36 M3 that alcohol is an "inactive ingredient".

Signed,

I'm high as a kite and my teeth are green.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/19/22 9:02 a.m.

I hate getting presents. But more than that, I hate being told I'm getting one thing and receiving another. I've been under the impression I was getting something specific today because I was told not to buy one FOR 6 WEEKS, so I didn't buy it for myself. Guess what I didn't get, so now I get to buy it myself and wait another week?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/19/22 10:21 a.m.

And I just had the stark realization of who's watching the toddler while I'm watching Grandma with my mom in the hospital.

With the entire family getting Covid while Grandma was in the hospital it makes watching her 100 times more difficult. I could bring the kid here, but I'm not sure if we're both still hot. If Grandma gets Coronavirus, she's as good as dead.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/22 9:19 p.m.

Is Grandma vaccinated?  My Mom, at age 75 caught Covid when I did a month or so ago.  It hung on longer with her, but the vaccination and booster helped her get through it.  This is a woman with COPD and had a lobectomy on her right lung last fall.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/19/22 9:55 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

That's reassuring. Gram has COPD. Grandma is vaccinated, and boosted and showing no sign of Covid. Let's hope it stays that way.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
6/20/22 6:04 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

My grandmother got it when it first hit and before the vaccines were out.  She is nearly 100 and made it through.  

That to say that if your grandma gets it doesn't necessarily mean it's the end. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/22 7:59 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

My mom had it a couple of weeks ago. She is 83. A week later she was as good as new. The current covids are not as brutal as the earlier ones and the vaccines make a huge difference in how the body fights it off. 

wae
wae PowerDork
6/20/22 8:21 a.m.

Also, Paxlovid seems to be a bit of a game-changer. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/20/22 9:00 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Current data is showing that the omicron variants are as bad or worse than Delta. What we are seeing that makes it look like they're not as bad is the miracle of vaccines. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/20/22 10:57 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Which makes the fact that the unvaccinated (just turned) 2 year old powered through whatever variant floating around, more of a miracle. That's the one that worried me most.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/20/22 11:03 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to mtn :

Which makes the fact that the unvaccinated (just turned) 2 year old powered through whatever variant floating around, more of a miracle. That's the one that worried me most.

Absolutely. And we're right there with you. We've been keeping our kid out of daycare the past week, because of constant exposures. I'm pretty sure she has a callous in her nose from all the swabs we've been giving her, but every one has been negative so far despite having most of the symptoms. She's only been feeling bad one day though. 

We're planning on heading down to Joliet on Thursday as it was the earliest we could find the Moderna shot for her. Hopefully we can find one closer and sooner though.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/22 11:20 a.m.

Yes, dear AdvanceZone, I'm pretty sure that Dex-Cool is the "exact fit" coolant for an early 2000s Range Rover.

Guess I got to get my behind to the store and read some labels myself then.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/20/22 2:04 p.m.

Neighbor business across the street has a "mow n blow" guy who thinks that blowing all the grass clipping across the road into my storm drain and yard is the appropriate way to clean up. So today I busted out the leaf blower and gave it all back to them in their driveway.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/22 9:06 p.m.

Went across town to Micro Center to pick up some soldering equipment and a USB-C charging extension that has a headphone jack, so I can charge my phone while streaming music at the same time.  While there noted that microSD cards are really REALLY cheap so I went to buy two.

I think I left them on the counter.

Micro Center does not list store phone numbers.  They have a national number and the wait time for that was 15 minutes with ten to closing.  They do have online chat, so I tried that... and they said to call the national number.

I mean, not sure I want to waste an hour and a half to pick up $14 worth of memory cards but there is the principle of the thing.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
6/20/22 11:08 p.m.

If it's called an emergency room, you do hope to leave the lobby/waiting room within 3 hours of arriving. Seems like the name would imply as much - but the way this goes it feels like the goal is to drive you away.

Edit: 4.5 was my limit, given I still wasn't 1st in line and the ER was operating on a 1-out, 1-in basis. Will try Urgent Care/Primary Care when they open..

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/21/22 5:54 a.m.

The pool has lost 6 inches of water in 2 days. There are no visible leaks, but there's no way in hell it evaporated that much either. 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/22 7:45 a.m.

The driver's side door wore a sore into my left knee over two days with the Supra on the track at High Plains Raceway. 

Worth it.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/22 7:55 a.m.
mtn said:

In reply to Toyman! :

Current data is showing that the omicron variants are as bad or worse than Delta. What we are seeing that makes it look like they're not as bad is the miracle of vaccines. 

Not according to the CDC. It spreads faster and easier but is generally less severe. 

Omicron - B.1.1.529, BA.1, BA.1.1, BA.2, BA.3, BA.4 and BA.5

First identified: South Africa

Spread: Spreads more easily than other variants. CDC is working with state and local public health officials to monitor the spread of Omicron.

Symptoms:  Please refer to Symptoms of COVID-19 | CDC

Severe illness and death: Data suggest that Omicron is less severe in general. However, a surge in cases may lead to significant increases in hospitalization and death. More data are needed to fully understand the severity of illness and death associated with this variant.

Vaccine: Breakthrough infections in people who are vaccinated are expected, but being up to date on recommended vaccines is effective at preventing severe illness, hospitalizations, and death. The emergence of the Omicron variant further emphasizes the importance of vaccination and boosters.

Treatments: Some, but not all, monoclonal antibody treatments remain effective against Omicron. Public health agencies work with healthcare providers to ensure that effective treatments are used appropriately to treat patients.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/21/22 8:23 a.m.
slefain said:

Neighbor business across the street has a "mow n blow" guy

That sounds like a craiglist personal ad or urbandictionary entry.

wae
wae PowerDork
6/21/22 8:30 a.m.

I'm not sure which vintage we selected for our covid experience here, but most of my family got it.  We were all at my Goddaughter's graduation party on a Friday and by Sunday my wife was feeling a little under the weather.  We were all at my mom & dad's house on Sunday.  The kids and I were there all day, my wife left when she started feeling a little blah.  By Monday she was sick but the antigen tests were negative.  She also got a PCR that was negative.  Tuesday, still sick.  Wednesday, she got worse, and around noon she finally popped a positive on the antigen test.  My eldest was also feeling a little under the weather and also popped positive.  The rest of us were all negative.

Meanwhile, my sister-in-law was sick as a dog and couldn't keep the Paxlovid down.  Mom and Dad were fine as was my sister, who lives with them.  All still popping negatives.

On Friday, I started to feel a little tickle in my throat.  Wife was still down for the count as was my daughter.  Other two kids were fine.  Still testing negative.

Saturday morning when I woke up, I was sick.  Talked to the phone-a-nurse and she said that if I could pop a positive they'd give me Paxlovid.  Antigen test just very faintly positive - the line was too faint for my camera to pick up so it wouldn't work to upload to them.  So I went for a PCR and popped positive.  Wife still miserable, daughter still down for the count, and I was getting worse and worse.  First dose of Paxlovid that evening - had to wait until F1 quali was over to go to the pharmacy! - and second dose on Sunday morning.  By Sunday afternoon, I was actually feeling okay. 

Other two kids are still fine, mom & dad and sister are all fine.  My brother was positive on Saturday as well, as was their daughter.  Other brother is still fine as far as I've heard.  Other than a sore throat, I feel fine now, so that's good.

We've been keeping sick people as isolated as we can here at home, but it's not perfect - we still need to share the house.  Wife and I have been prepping meals for everyone.  There were plenty of hugs and close contact at mom & dad's on Sunday and they were at the same event that we're assuming the rest of us picked this up.  But we didn't all get it.

Frankly, I've had sinus infections that were way worse than this.  Hell, I'll take covid over my annual bronchitis, honestly.  This has been way easier on my lungs and asthma than that ever is.

So, yeah, I'd say that between the evolution of the virus and our pharmacological response to it, this is definitely not the juggernaut to be feared that it was two years ago.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/21/22 9:14 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to mtn :

My kid has been exposed so many times between daycare, us getting sick, etc. Never showed any symptoms so fingers crossed we can get him the vaccine prior to actually catching it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/21/22 9:35 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

It's a funny old disease.  I got it somewhere, with no change of habits,  and had a pretty decent head cold over Easter weekend.  My grandson got it about a year ago at school or daycare, brought it home and gave it to his dad.  My daughter, though, who is a nurse and has been working the covid ward for a couple of years, looked after the pair of them and never got it.  

Some people just don't get it, some do, some suffer horribly, some don't survive.  there are general ideas, but then you hear about hundred year old athsmatics who survive nicely, and 20 year old distance runners who don't.

1 ... 1614 1615 1616 1617 1618 ... 1928

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5ubpmMUsxw43HfpCl8YW8iUowYAjLD0y1gNyojPHOgpWG3Z2uc2pQmkp9AxqWc8s