1 ... 1651 1652 1653 1654 1655 ... 1928

Dear wasp shiny happy people, berk you!

Sincerely,

stanger_mussle

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/19/22 4:40 p.m.
mtn said:

Garbage disposal started leaking from the bottom. Needs to be replaced. Then the TV died. On top of us needing a new roof and the washer not draining and needing a new dishwasher too. Oh, and a new fridge. 

Homeownership. It is great. 

Having dropped a bunch on fixing my A/C today and trying to figure out how to find the rest of the money to finish this damn garage, I am feeling this so much.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/19/22 4:54 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
CAinCA said:

On Saturday I was doing about 45mph on a two lane road when a guy in an SUV pulled out in front of me. He pulled out from my right and was looking to his right. I don't think he ever looked to his left. He was completely in my lane so I slammed on the horn and brakes simultaneously. He stopped in his tracks and I had to pull into the oncoming lane to avoid hitting him. That was the first time in our 22 years together that I've seen my wife flip someone the bird. Dumbass.

better to hit him on your side of the yellow line, vs getting into a head-on collision with oncoming traffic or having this jerkoff doing something else stupid and crashing you while you're on the wrong side of the yellow line.

I agree. I could see that the other lane was clear and I would have hit him if I hadn't pulled over. I needed about 10 more feet to stop.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
9/19/22 7:57 p.m.
mtn said:

Garbage disposal started leaking from the bottom. Needs to be replaced. Then the TV died. On top of us needing a new roof and the washer not draining and needing a new dishwasher too. Oh, and a new fridge. 

Homeownership. It is great. 

Wife and I recently moved into the ancestral home, with all its associated deferred maintenance headaches.

My aunt came by last week and among a great many other things, told a story about a long-ago cousin from the city who, when polled on the status of his initial enthusiasm for farm life responded:

"The novelty of the sport has worn off."

I'm going to hand-paint my wife a signboard with that on it for Christmas.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/19/22 8:03 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to Antihero :

But what about their statement man? Can't you feel it after they abuse it? 

Abuse is what the crowd feels after they 43rd "hey, hey, heeeeeyyyyy"

Seriously, I also saw the metal band that covered it and the singer was a massive douche. This song is bad juju

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/19/22 9:26 p.m.

Just spent about $600 on OEM front suspension stuff for the Mazda5 because it seems like every review of aftermarket parts is pretty negative.  I need to keep reminding myself that this thing has cost almost nothing in maintenance beyond fluid changes since I bought it nearly three years ago.  Might need engine mounts, too, but I may cheap out on those.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/19/22 10:10 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

I really having a hard time trying to decide whether or not to throw a new motor at Reconkid #2's Escape. berkeleying things are hard to find in anything less than "more berkeleying miles than the chassis".

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/22 10:57 p.m.

I am in my first week of my 3 week vacation.  So what does the city do? They started tearing up my street to repave it.  Three cars do not fit in my driveway, so the boat went back into storage, her car is stuck in the driveway till they pave due to the drop off, and the fiat is at a Friend's place.  This leaves my Landy as the sole vehicle to get any of us anywhere until they pave the damn road. And here I wanted to spend a few days catching up on sleep, vehicle maintenance, and getting ready to spend a few days sailing in Maryland.

The drop off at the edge of the driveway is so far I had to pull the hitch off the back. It hit hard the first time I pulled out.  

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
9/20/22 12:31 a.m.

Nearing two years since my accident, still haven't reached a settlement. 7 months since surgery and I think some of this E36 M3 is just gonna be permanent. Berk the guy that hit me. 

I don't mean that. People make mistakes. Bad stuff happens. Just be careful out there. Especially if you're hauling 80k lbs in a blizzard. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/20/22 8:41 a.m.

Apparently I'm the janitor at work now, because I'm cleaning up after everyone else. I have:

• An Equinox that needs an engine because it has a huge gouge in the #1 cylinder wall. Another tech looked at it for a misfire, found a plug covered in oil, put a new plug in it and decided not to determine why a vehicle with 36K miles had an oil-fouled plug. Then it came back for a low oil level light and it became my problem somehow.
  • A Silverado that I have to pull the transmission on to replace the rear cover for an oil leak. Another tech had it for the same oil leak and resealed the oil pan on it. Then it came in and he was on family leave, so I replaced the oil pan because I know his quality of work. It's back again, and it would have actually gone back to the previous tech but he has quite.
  • A Traverse with a power steering whine/shudder. Another tech threw a whole bunch of power steering parts at it, then it came back the next day and he was off for training. I was told just to top it off, since it likely had an air bubble in the system that bled out. I did that, it came back again, with my tech number on it even though the tech that originally worked on it was back, and it wasn't shuddering or making noise. Now it's back again, with my number on it again, for the same issue.
  • Yesterday I had a Suburban with the power liftgate inoperative, and I saw the note said "Just had it fixed." The guy that had quit, who blessed me with the Silverado oil leak, had just put a control module and struts in it for the same issue. Chased a wiring issue that turned out to be that he hadn't fully plugged in the module and it had wiggled loose.

FFS, it's only Tuesday morning and I already want to drink myself into a stupor.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
9/20/22 8:56 a.m.

Trying to find a new place closer to where my son and his mom live.  Right now I'm 40 min from work the wrong way.  The problem is going east the prices increase tremendously.  Right now I'm in a two bedroom house on a big lot and I can't even find a tiny one bedroom apartment that's not double the rent I'm currently paying.  An equivalent house is three times the rent. 

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/20/22 10:10 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

You get the taters, they get the gravy!

The best part is chasing down a problem child while watching the original guy do a CP brake job with the BG wallet flush package.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/20/22 10:20 a.m.

I got spoiled by my tire guy in Pennsylvania.  If I dropped off loose wheels and tires and gave him a day or 2 to fit them in he would hook me up dirt cheap.  Like 2 sets of Chumpcar tires mounted for 40 bucks kinda cheap.  Having moved I need to find a new guy.  First shop I called, a little mom/pop place a neighbor recommended was "$35-40 a wheel, plus tax and disposal, cant give an exact quote until you bring them in".  I immediately thought "Someone just bought a new Hunter Revolution and needs to pay for it..."  Called another shop and was quoted 29.99 each.  Third shop was $20 so I jumped and dropped them off. 

Having mounted 1000s of tires in my life its hard to bring myself to pay $120-160.  Have I become one of those dudes that used to walk uphill both ways to the store to buy a Baby Ruth and Coke with a nickle and get change back?laugh

wae
wae PowerDork
9/20/22 4:15 p.m.

We're having our mandatory "wellness" event at work and I have never seen so much bullE36 M3 shoveled in such a short period of time.  We've got to listen to 90 minutes of the keynote speaker going on with all this claptrap and it's just nauseating.  Nut up Bob Costas and just get to work already.  This is such drivel.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/20/22 4:28 p.m.
wae said:

We're having our mandatory "wellness" event at work and I have never seen so much bullE36 M3 shoveled in such a short period of time.  We've got to listen to 90 minutes of the keynote speaker going on with all this claptrap and it's just nauseating.  Nut up Bob Costas and just get to work already.  This is such drivel.

I actually can see some benefit from a real wellness program.  Problem is, most of the ones I've had the honor of attending were thinly disguised attempts to cover for management's attempts to squeeze ever more out of the employees.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
9/20/22 5:56 p.m.

Well, the challenge car *was* faster than little brother's heavily modified Mk4 R32, but current symptoms point to a newly minted hole in the block that I suspect has an errant con rod living in it.

We may have to tap out of this year's challenge. sad

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/22 6:21 p.m.
logdog (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to NickD :

You get the taters, they get the gravy!

The best part is chasing down a problem child while watching the original guy do a CP brake job with the BG wallet flush package.

My whole last two weeks has been nothing but the E36 M3wrench.  I was thrilled when Patrick said my long distance diag of his Ram actually fixed it, because that was the only thing I did well lately.

Evap problem turned out to be a mouse ate a plastic line that was part of the tank.  Replaced the tank (at great labor time, because it was a very rusty cute ute) and then it decided to throw a purge solenoid circuit fault.  Obviously the purge solenoid HAD been working before for it to set a leak code.  On testing discovered that it had a new solenoid, and the PCM was intermittently faulty.  Decided to fail after, not before, I repaired a major leak.

Brake noise in a Toyota that I had done drums on a few months earlier.  Sounded like record grooved drums.  New drums had a machined finish like a bandsaw blade so I put the absolute smoothest finish possible before installing them.  Still made the noise.  After a lot of head scratching and trying things, found that the problem was the wheel cylinder pistons creaking in their bores when the shoes moved around.  Really??

Certain manufacturer Diesel wagon with EGR faults, found the hard EGR valve to get to was sticking open.  Replaced that, which is sold as a cooler assembly, not a fun thing to do on the back of a transverse engine.  Still setting the same flow codes.  After much time and head scratching and testing and an eventual call to Identifix helpline (first in my career) found that it was the DPF, somehow, per a new TSB.  Declined repair.

Misfire in another certain Euro car.  Found the copper plugs were original after 190k miles, gap was too large to measure as my tool only goes up to .080".  Replaced plugs and coils, still misses but not as bad.  Compression even, running compression looks OK.  Rotated coils, rotated plugs, rotated injectors, still missing on the same two cylinders.  Inspected valve springs for possible broken spring, everything looked happy in there. Performed induction clean, miss is 97% gone but will still miss only under a very specific yet commonly used operating region.  Not sure where this is going yet.

Did head gaskets on a car a while back, came in claiming to use two quarts of oil a day and huge smoke clouds.  No smoke noted, took on extended road test and no oil loss found.  This morning, pulled car into building for something, pulled it out and it let out an oil cloud you can walk on.  Why did it not do this yesterday, before I inspected and drove and work sold and services performed.

But.  A problem child Mercedes came back for the third time for an issue I could never duplicate.  I duplicated it!  And found the fault was a bad new part.  Yay?  It's this part, as wae and F40Jim are familar with:

Car is not done yet so it doesn't go in the win column yet...

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/20/22 8:24 p.m.

$9 at taco bell. For E36 M3ty food, small portions, and bad music. 

I think i may be done with this fast food chain as well. Add to McDonald's, arbys, burger king, and kfc. 

Think i should just stick to non chains from now on.....

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/22 8:36 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

The last time I went to Taco Bell on purpose, that is to say semi regularly, they still had seven layer burritos, and I couldn't get out of there for under $20.  $9 gets you, what, two soft shelled tacos and a Mountain Dew?

wae
wae PowerDork
9/20/22 8:57 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Ugh.  The m55.  berkeley that thing.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/20/22 8:57 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

It was a tortilla 2ith two shreds of lettuce, a piece of diced tomato,  and a stain of meat sauce claiming to be a soft taco, a crunchwrap supreme that was neither, and a glass of water. With a side of indigestion. 

berkeley taco bell. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/20/22 9:15 p.m.
Antihero said:
Toyman! said:

In reply to Antihero :

But what about their statement man? Can't you feel it after they abuse it? 

Abuse is what the crowd feels after they 43rd "hey, hey, heeeeeyyyyy"

Seriously, I also saw the metal band that covered it and the singer was a massive douche. This song is bad juju

I hate that berking song in every form. It's like it just keeps getting worse and worse and then when she does the stupid long free form thing that  probably gave her brain damage from oxygen deprivation I'm just here like who the berk greenlighted this E36 M3 and why do I still have to hear it twice a week forever.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/20/22 9:52 p.m.

I never use the word 'gay' in the derogatory sense common among 12-year-olds.

But the theme song from Friends is the very textbook example of that usage.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/20/22 9:56 p.m.
JohnInKansas said:

Well, the challenge car *was* faster than little brother's heavily modified Mk4 R32, but current symptoms point to a newly minted hole in the block that I suspect has an errant con rod living in it.

We may have to tap out of this year's challenge. sad

What is with everything throwing rods right now? The Reconkid car, your challenge car, and two other people I work with....

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/20/22 9:57 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

The crunchwrap supreme is $8 worth of disappointment. My kids absolutely murder the Doritos locos tacos though. 

1 ... 1651 1652 1653 1654 1655 ... 1928

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aBYn4buBqF5aTw6Ko4MCaTRqyHiiPwyLE5cEacEb1cjEDOaLZ3I7PfnpCGKX8aCW