1 ... 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 ... 1927
Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/4/22 6:25 p.m.

It doesn't matter how far in advance you try to plan stuff, everything always winds up happening all in the same week.

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
10/4/22 7:29 p.m.

Trying again.

I go on FMLA in a couple weeks, approximately since the timing is out of my hands, and the signs at work are telling me that I'm only collecting a paycheck so they don't risk a lawsuit. In other words, when I announce the end of my FMLA I expect to have a meeting shortly thereafter where they'll try to contain their awkward joy at hustling me out the door. To be fair, I hate it there. Hate is a strong word and I use it intentionally. I'm in a pretty HCOL city but my bills are on the low end. I can't find other employment that isn't a demotion, pay cut, and drive across town. One small employer responded to my application by spelling my name wrong and then congratulating me on an impressive resume before going on to decide on another applicant. For the job that I currently hold. Even when they're going above and beyond, 9/10 employers treat applications like a black hole, they can't even spell my very common name properly. I can coast to the end of the year before selling off my small portfolios but if I can't get a bite in this market then it won't be better over the winter and I can't afford to take on risk like that for at least the next year. 

I'm not the corporate guy, I've known this for about myself for a while but life happens and here I am. I've mulled over a variety of small business ideas in the last couple years but I always poke holes in them. My concern is that I am nearing the end of my corporate rope and I won't luck into another job so easily. I seized on an idea over the weekend, mobile bike detailing anyone?, but it's all or nothing and I don't know know if a profitable but radical departure from my nature is such a good idea.

Rant: I don't get tailgated a lot, rarely even. Outside of my neighborhood. What is it about seeing pedestrians crossing the street, people they may know, that makes people want to tailgate me? Do you have a grudge against those 2 girls? That couple said a mean thing on NextDoor? It's never young people doing the tailgating, either. This morning I had a mom all up in my business through a couple school zones with her son riding shotgun. Is she trying to get little Timmy an education or whiplash and a face full of airbag? People....

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/4/22 8:28 p.m.

I tend to drive 5-10 over depending on the situation. There are certain roads where 5 over is the max if you do not wish to shake hands with Johnny Law. My passive aggressive move is to drop down to the speed limit when someone is up my ass. No brake checking, because that's dumb, just...the speed limit. 

Berk em.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/4/22 9:47 p.m.

I'm chasing down a vibration on my truck. It seems to happen most after heavy acceleration and I'm coasting again but it also happens when I have to downshift to go up a longer hill. It doesn't happen right away, it happens say....3/4 of the way up. Years ago we had a van with a very worn u joint that would do something similar and I had a worn u joint so replacing it seems like it would fix it, right?

No, but it did take away some of it. I had a 6th cylinder misfire code pop up once and today it popped up a p1138 code which Torque says is " Drivetrain" and Google says is most likely the Bank 2 Sensor 1 O2 sensor. I screwed around with it a little bit and the thing is massively rusted and stuck. Torch plus PB Blaster and wd40 hasn't made an impact. It's also like a...21.5mm because nothing I have fits it snugly and I can't get my O2 socket on it because of how it's placed.

It's probably connected but I worry it's something tranny or something else and I'm too busy to have to track down something right now.

wae
wae PowerDork
10/5/22 9:31 a.m.

"Before I get on a call with this guy to do the update, can you help me out so I sound intelligent when I'm on the phone with him?"

No.  No, I cannot.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/5/22 12:45 p.m.

On top of motorcycle lane splitting being Just Fine, California just legalized jaywalking.

Good news is we won't have to keep painting all of those crosswalks now.

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Editorial/Art Assistant
10/5/22 1:02 p.m.

This has basically been the weather in Austin for weeks now.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/22 1:18 p.m.

The nature of my entire job is changing and they've thrown me into the deep end without training me on the specific things they're asking me to do.

I've already started asking for help so I don't get buried, but I haven't had this level of uncertainty about what I'm doing in decades. I keep telling myself it's a growth opportunity versus they're setting me up to fail.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/22 10:29 a.m.

Don't get pissy with me. 

I'm not stealing your customers, your crappy service and untrained employees are giving them to me. My plate is already full to overflowing. I don't particularly want new customers at the moment but when they are literally begging me to solve their problems I have no choice. 

Does anyone with several years of experience in automatic and manual commercial door repair and installation want a job in Charleston SC? If so, send me your resume and pay requirements. AAADM certification is a must. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/6/22 12:20 p.m.
CJ said:

On top of motorcycle lane splitting being Just Fine, California just legalized jaywalking.

Good news is we won't have to keep painting all of those crosswalks now.

The pedestrian right of way law finally escaped LA and went state wide? Good luck. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/6/22 12:49 p.m.

So, let me get this straight. You decided to fly to Florida knowing that a hurricane was going to land shortly after you arrived. You happened to be staying smack dab in the worst possible place (Sanibel FTW!). You had to evacuate and impose on family for a week. You potentially put first responders in harms way to save your dumb ass. Somehow those of us that aren't showering you with sympathy are the shiny happy people? You might be the most self absorbed shiny happy person I've ever met.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/6/22 2:10 p.m.

Started feeling sick yesterday and woke up still feeling sick today.  Other than a few quick things dealt with early, I've taken the day off.  I've mostly been sitting in front of the tv so far.  I hate not getting things done, even though I know I need to let my body rest, so I can get over whatever this is sooner than if I am constantly up and moving around.

wae
wae PowerDork
10/6/22 5:10 p.m.

I have a Microsoft wireless mouse.  I have the little dongle for the Microsoft wireless mouse.  For THREE YEARS I have been in a cycle of finding the dongle but not being able to find the mouse.  Then I find the mouse, but I can't remember where I put the dongle. 

Today I found the mouse. 

The cycle continues.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/6/22 5:30 p.m.

Fricking Culver's 

5-10 minutes after eating the fish sandwich and fries my stomach hurts.  Drive from Racine, WI home and my stomach hurt the whole way home.  

This is why I stopped eating Taco Bell.  

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
10/6/22 5:37 p.m.

PW: What should we do with this left over chicken?

P: Hot chicken sandwiches with fries and gravy.

PW: Hey, what do you think we should we do with this left over chicken?

PW: What do you think would be best to do with this leftover chicken?

PW: You want to make the bacon or you want me to?

P: For what?

PW: The club sandwiches we're having for dinner. That's what you wanted, right?

P:

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/6/22 6:10 p.m.

I just got the first quote for a paver driveway.

I was braced for it to be more than I wanted it to be.

I was not braced for it to be that close to the original budget for the entire shop. Yeah, that was three years ago and has been smithereened badly, but still.

The permit stipulates a permeable paver driveway. We've got more quotes coming, but I'm starting to think I'll have my application to the masons ready when this is over. cheeky

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
10/6/22 9:54 p.m.
CAinCA said:

So, let me get this straight. You decided to fly to Florida knowing that a hurricane was going to land shortly after you arrived. You happened to be staying smack dab in the worst possible place (Sanibel FTW!). You had to evacuate and impose on family for a week. You potentially put first responders in harms way to save your dumb ass. Somehow those of us that aren't showering you with sympathy are the shiny happy people? You might be the most self absorbed shiny happy person I've ever met.

I just had this conversation with someone yesterday. They couldn't understand why I was aghast. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/6/22 9:59 p.m.

Pedestrians do not have the right of way when jaywalking, but if they can do it safely without impeding traffic, a cop can't ticket you for it. Sounds reasonable. Especially when the nearest crosswalk is 1/4 mile away.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/6/22 10:03 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

Pedestrians do not have the right of way when jaywalking, but if they can do it safely without impeding traffic, a cop can't ticket you for it. Sounds reasonable. Especially when the nearest crosswalk is 1/4 mile away.

Yeah I have no problem with this. Streets are not only for cars after all. It's to our neighborhood detriment that we treat them that way. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/22 10:11 p.m.
chandler said:
CAinCA said:

I just had this conversation with someone yesterday. They couldn't understand why I was aghast. 

I work with someone who doesn't understand why I think he is entitled because he thinks it was better when the government was paying people to stay home, because gas prices plummeted so it was a lot cheaper to tow his camper trailer around.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/6/22 11:29 p.m.

This has got to be the worst NFL game I've ever seen.....

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
10/7/22 10:24 a.m.

My wife and I both remembered that the last month of pregnancy was the hardest month, but it's very different to be living it again. We love our daughter and can't wait to meet the baby, but otherwise we're pretty 'meh' towards most of the rest of our life. Is this adulthood? Depression? 

I know we would be making changes if  (gestures wildly) world economics weren't scary right now. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/7/22 12:17 p.m.
chandler said:
CAinCA said:

Thank you for confirming that I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/7/22 1:11 p.m.
CAinCA said:
chandler said:
CAinCA said:

Thank you for confirming that I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

I playfully say I've become more of a pansy in my middle age, but really I have learned more about the ramifications of your actions, and the responsibility which comes with freedom. A while back some climber was lauded for climbing some mountain without any gear or support. I thought, "Gee, if this guy falls, it's going to take a half dozen EMT personnel to get to him and haul his sorry butt out of there, and he doesn't even care" The same for hurricanes, for Covid, for riots, for so many things. I demand my freedom, then I demand you take care of the ramifications from my freedom since I behave like a petulant child.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/22 1:45 p.m.
Antihero said:

This has got to be the worst NFL game I've ever seen.....

But you HAVE seen it.

I was trying to explain this to someone who was wondering why the Browns owners/managers didn't seem to take the team seriously.  People are going to watch, and buy tickets, win or lose.  In that light, why spend any more money on better talent?

1 ... 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p6xVmncowGSJJbVVGV8jDbZMckagxPH5oAvy20VDxYAz4E2S1SDAx5clPYQJ878U