1 ... 1678 1679 1680 1681 1682 ... 1925
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/22 5:45 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Insurance usually covers it, is how people can afford it.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/22 8:45 a.m.

You are an adult. Do not complain to me about being cold one minute and then prop the office door open while you run down to check the mail.

wae
wae PowerDork
12/2/22 8:47 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to wae :

Oh, for sure.  But an older car with liability only is pretty much SOL.  And that also describes pretty much every car in that parking lot.

wae
wae PowerDork
12/2/22 8:53 a.m.

Two months ago I emailed the guy and said "I need these SFPs installed and these cables run.  Can you do that pretty please?  And what do you need from me to make that happen?"

Nothing.

I sent several follow-ups.  "Hey...  still checking in on that cabling for the new gear.  Need to get the folks scheduled.  Can you let me know?"

Nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, and nothing.

So finally someone puts pressure on the guy to respond.  "Oh, dur, I can't this week but is next week good?"  Me: "That'll work.  Just let me know if you need anything!"

Nothing back.

His boss finally emails me and says that, yeah, we're gonna need cables.

Fine.  I mean, I berkeleying asked you two months ago if you needed anything.  But what-theberkeley-ever.  Me: "Cool.  What length and type?"

His boss: "I don't know."

Everyone else in the whole world, apparently: "..."

I'm not in that city.  I've never been to that data center.  I don't berkeleying do networking at all.  If this was a storage thing, you'd damned well be expecting me to handle the whole ordeal.  berkeley these people.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/22 9:00 a.m.

How the berkeley am I supposed to listen for a faint noise when braking, when the footwells are full of some things in cellophane in plastic bags that constantly roll around when applying the brakes, and the rearview mirror has a whole.lot of dangly jangly bullE36 M3 hanging from it???

wae
wae PowerDork
12/2/22 9:03 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I know we've had this conversation before, but I will never understand how people (like my wife, apparently..) are perfectly content to buzz around town in a Dumpster.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
12/2/22 9:04 a.m.

Every time we get close to finishing the project I'm working on at work, our scope gets changed and we have to redo a good portion of what we just finished. It just happened again this morning. Just once, I'd like to finish a project without having to change it in the 11th hour.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/2/22 9:24 a.m.
wae said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to wae :

Oh, for sure.  But an older car with liability only is pretty much SOL.  And that also describes pretty much every car in that parking lot.

Which is why I always carry Comprehensive, even on E36 M3boxes. Liability is the expensive part. Collision is less expensive, but can still be significant.  Comprehensive may be a couple dollars a month - just carry it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/2/22 9:39 a.m.
wae said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I know we've had this conversation before, but I will never understand how people (like my wife, apparently..) are perfectly content to buzz around town in a Dumpster.

You really don't want to see the inside of my Mazda5 right now...  Hell, I'm embarrassed by it, but it's cold enough I'm not going out there just to clean it out.

wae
wae PowerDork
12/2/22 10:33 a.m.
Duke said:
wae said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to wae :

Which is why I always carry Comprehensive, even on E36 M3boxes. Liability is the expensive part. Collision is less expensive, but can still be significant.  Comprehensive may be a couple dollars a month - just carry it.

QFT

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
12/2/22 12:49 p.m.
AMiataCalledSteve said:

Every time we get close to finishing the project I'm working on at work, our scope gets changed and we have to redo a good portion of what we just finished. It just happened again this morning. Just once, I'd like to finish a project without having to change it in the 11th hour.

Going through the same. 

"Project going out the next day? Better send that email that changes multiple things at 5:00 p.m.!"

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/3/22 9:14 a.m.

The phone company is digging to run fiber in our neighborhood.  The power keeps going on and off.  I'd really prefer it to stay out, instead of this off/on/off/on crap that's more likely to damage appliances and electronics in the house.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/3/22 10:33 a.m.

Just ran out of argon.

No one is open till Monday.  I have work Monday and anyways am not inclined to put a bottle in the Miata.

Its barely 10:30 and I want to go back to bed.

wae
wae PowerDork
12/3/22 7:13 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Ahh, the good ole John Deere Cable Finder!

My rant: I apparently have arthritis in my toe.  They've checked me for gout and said it's not that.  Setting tile puts my body in a position that apparently aggravates that condition.  Aggressively aggravates.  Every step is pure agony.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
12/3/22 7:37 p.m.

I called Mazda USA to see if I could get a copy of the window sticker for my recently purchased 2001 Miata. They said that any dealer could do that for me. I call the dealer where I just bought the car at. They say they don't know how to do that. I call Mazda USA back and they say they'll call the dealership. Several calls later the sales rep calls me back and says that the issue was escalated all the way up to the zone rep and they cannot provide the window sticker. I'm not sure if they really can't of if they just don't want to. Kinda pissed off because Mazda USA assured me that I could get one and now I can't.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/4/22 10:57 a.m.

In reply to wae :

I'd plan on all the o2 sensors.  They don't like harsh vibrations.  (I learned that after removing a brand new pair with a rattle gun and having to replace with another brand new pair that I installed very carefully)

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/4/22 11:15 a.m.

Why do people in fog colored cars insist on driving in fog without turning on their lights?

wae
wae PowerDork
12/4/22 11:16 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

As it turns out, Honda mounted both sensors basically on the cat so they're both gone anyway. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/4/22 12:40 p.m.
Rodan said:

Why do people in fog colored cars insist on driving in fog without turning on their lights?

Or Black cars at dusk. Or white cars in snow?

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/4/22 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Related: It continues to amaze me how many people I see driving without their headlights on or only their DRLs on at night. It's a daily occurrence around here. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/4/22 1:41 p.m.
CAinCA said:

In reply to Rodan :

Related: It continues to amaze me how many people I see driving without their headlights on or only their DRLs on at night. It's a daily occurrence around here. 

I'm of the opinion any car with a dash that lights up when it is running should at least have automatic headlights enabled by default.  Modern dashboards and DRLs trick way too many people into not even noticing their lights are off.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
12/4/22 2:05 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Or driving with crazy bright LED headlights and LED fog lights on, no fog in sight. This time of year I drive to work in the dark and home in the dark and I see it every day. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/4/22 2:09 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

This is a part of the problem... the dash is visible so they think the lights are on, or just don't register that it's gloomy out.  The automatic sensors are fine for night, but don't always work well with dawn/dusk/rain/fog.

But a big part of it is still inattention.  Thus all the idjits who never dim their brights at night.

Got back Friday after a week out of state with the GF and the power windows on her JK Wrangler decided to stop working despite being parked while we were away.

Checked fuses. Good.

Reseated door wiring harnesses. No change.

Cycled ignition switch a dozen times. No change.

Disconnected negative battery cable for 10 minutes. No change.

When operating the switch, I can hear a faint click coming from the bottom front of each door. I'm assuming the window motors are getting power but the windows don't even try to move.

Next is the switch module. It's $104 to replace. The center stack trim needs to be removed to test it. It's extremely brittle after 12 years in the Florida sun. 

I hate it when things break while sitting angry

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/4/22 2:39 p.m.

About to head into the worst week of our five week work cycle and my nerves are frayed way worse than usual.

1 ... 1678 1679 1680 1681 1682 ... 1925

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kcPwlVtMG3qoCwDgLdhDdBotdmocigSwySdGVmYWVttEJPSaY39sq1I8uNqK7qaq