1 ... 1679 1680 1681 1682 1683 ... 1926
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/22 2:53 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

If you get a click, it is tryin'.

Give the door a good thump while pushing the switch...

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Thanks. I'll give it a shot when I get home today. 

My rant for today:

I find it humorous that people are leaving bad reviews for an extremely inexpensive motorcycle scissor jack when it fails to safely lift their 980lb Hardly Roadslug. You spent $30k on a giant cruiser but you won't purchase a proper motorcycle lift?  I'm going to use it for a 350lb maxi-scooter. People are berking idiots.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/5/22 11:35 a.m.

I changed the oil in 4/5 vehicles that I own yesterday. I figured out that I never bought a filter wrench for the F-150. Unfortunately the filter is above the steering rack and there isn't much room to access it. I had to use the Jaws of Life (16.5" Channel Locks) to turn the filter about a degree at a time until I could turn it by hand. I stopped at Oreilly's and they don't have one that fits. I wound up ordering one from Amazon. 

The Cayman has a cartridge filter. The filter housing is vertical and way up under the car so when you loosen it up oil runs everywhere and makes a huge mess. I think I'm going to order a spin on filter adapter so I don't have to deal with that again.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/5/22 2:44 p.m.

The Local 150 operators hall is starting to piss me off. I applied to the apprentice program in 17, 18, and 19. First week in November pick up your application. Check the web site for exact date and locations. December 31 deadline to turn it in. 2020 there was no training, understandably. The next year the move the pick up date to September instead of November. I miss it. The web page with the pick up date is from 2017. This year they berkeley with the due date. Not the traditional December 31st, no, nooooo, its November 30th. The web page still lists December 31st due date...from 2017!

The application packet has the new date on it, however. On an inch by half inch sticker. At the bottom left. On the back!

I have to wait a whole goddam year to bash my brains with this bullE36 M3. Again. 150, if you are wondering why you are running out of operators as the old timers retire, look no further than this berkeleyery.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/5/22 5:10 p.m.

I love trying to do research on something and the only search results I get are ME talking about the THING. I cannot possibly own so many one off items. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/5/22 5:17 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Two of my buddies retired at 58/59 and a third has 5/6 years left.  These guys were crane operators since their early 20's.  Keep plugging cause they found the golden egg just ignore those hearing issues they all have.

Is there a age cutoff?  The Chicago sprinkler fitters used to cut you off at age 35.  Maybe no more?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/5/22 6:50 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Not for operators. Says right in the packet, about not discriminating people over 40. I really think that if there ever was, they reassessed it once fewer and fewer young people applied.

The once shot a year application is ludicrous, regardless. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/5/22 6:53 p.m.
CAinCA said:

I changed the oil in 4/5 vehicles that I own yesterday. I figured out that I never bought a filter wrench for the F-150. Unfortunately the filter is above the steering rack and there isn't much room to access it. I had to use the Jaws of Life (16.5" Channel Locks) to turn the filter about a degree at a time until I could turn it by hand. I stopped at Oreilly's and they don't have one that fits. I wound up ordering one from Amazon. 

The Cayman has a cartridge filter. The filter housing is vertical and way up under the car so when you loosen it up oil runs everywhere and makes a huge mess. I think I'm going to order a spin on filter adapter so I don't have to deal with that again.

Find yourself one of these, longer jaws than this one if you can, though. 

https://www.amazon.com/GEARWRENCH-Drive-Universal-Filter-Wrench/dp/B0002SR53A/

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/22 6:56 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

It's the only way to fly.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
12/5/22 7:16 p.m.

Back in November, I let the world know how happy I was going to be when the mid terms were over. I was beyond tired of every form of media dominated by political smear campaigns. Calls, texts, emails. Etc.

Side story. Whoever had my number was clearly from Atlanta Georgia. You know where this is going. Best I can tell this was either their work number or prepaid or something. They must have signed up for every free credit card and unpaid promotion under the sun. 5+ years and I get daily calls and texts from people trying to find the old owner of my number. Usually looking for money owed to them from the person who had my number. 

Fast forward to the mid terms. Guess what happened? Georgia went to a runoff for the senate race. Since then, I've gotten about 8-10 calls a day from the Atlanta metro telling me to vote for Wa-ahole. Non stop texts. I've blocked numbers, replied to stop, etc.  it won't quit. God, I can't wait until Wednesday so this Groundhog Day can finally be over. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/6/22 8:11 a.m.

It's been 7.5 years, when is the fun, joyful, and fulfilling part of parenting going to start? 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/22 8:20 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

When they are old enough to bring you the correct tools and change the oil in your cars for you. wink

Honest answer. When you decide it starts. It takes some work, but it's doable. 

wae
wae PowerDork
12/6/22 8:50 a.m.

Ok, this is really really simple.  In America we drive on the right side of the road.  If your side of the road is obstructed, then you are required to wait until the left side of the road is clear of traffic before entering the left side to navigate around the obstruction.  Oncoming traffic is not obligated to yield right-of-way simply because there is something blocking your lane. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/6/22 9:11 a.m.

Someday, I want to live where I'm not using a humidifier one day, and a dehumidifier the next day.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/6/22 9:36 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Two of my buddies retired at 58/59 and a third has 5/6 years left.  These guys were crane operators since their early 20's.  Keep plugging cause they found the golden egg just ignore those hearing issues they all have.

Is there a age cutoff?  The Chicago sprinkler fitters used to cut you off at age 35.  Maybe no more?

To some guys PPE is a sign of weakness. I bet those guys never wore hearing protection. We have some hvac guys that we used to work with that we still hang out with from time to time and they all yell at the top of their lungs because they never wore ear plugs. Their employee that did is a chill, calm guy that almost mutters he speaks so quietly. Same with the concrete polishing guys - the one partner never wears earplugs and about lays your hair back when he's talking to you. The other one always wears over the ear hearing protection and I have to lean in close to hear him talk.

Side note: concrete polishing is about the noisiest thing on the planet. How on earth you can do that without hearing protection even once is a mystery to me.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/6/22 10:52 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I'm partially deaf. From birth. I can only guess the number of people who just assume I destroyed my hearing from construction. Even when they know my story,  they seem to question why I'm wearing ear muffs. Motherberkeleyer, I'm trying to save what I have left. I didn't have the luxury of having perfect hearing to ruin.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
12/6/22 11:47 a.m.

I had the great joy of repairing an ejected spark plug for the second time in a year.  Two different trucks.  At least this one shot out in my driveway, and there is a lot more space in the engine bay in the F250 than there is in the F150.

Suck it, Ford.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/6/22 11:50 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

We have garbage men retired friends.

They too have hearing issues and yell but you are correct, those jobs were different in the day and and hearing protection was never used.  

Frieburger from Hot Rod Mag has mentioned his issues he has later in life.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/6/22 11:56 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
CAinCA said:

Snip...

Find yourself one of these, longer jaws than this one if you can, though.

Yup, I've got something like that coming. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
12/6/22 12:16 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I'm old enough that the "tough guy" attitude towards PPE was absolutely a thing when I was in school.  Present me is very very happy that 18 YO me decided to wear foam ear plugs on watch in the engine room in spite of the "tough guys", same thing later in life doing HVAC service or even mowing the lawn.  Exposure to high noise levels is a cumulative thing and once the damage is done, that's it.

In reply to Appleseed:

Being proactive to maintain what hearing you have is absolutely the right thing to do.  Screw the people that can't understand that.   On the apprenticeship sign up thing; it might be worth calling the hall to try to speak with either one of the agents or their organizer if they have one.  If you have heavy equipment experience already that may make a big difference.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/22 12:18 p.m.

I'm 55 and worked in the construction field long before hearing protection was a thing. That's not the reason my hearing is failing. Mine is music. Really, really loud music. Van Halen and AC/DC probably get most of the blame but certainly not all of it. I built my first set of speakers at 15. By 20 I had a set of Cerwin Vega D9s with two 700-watt monoblocks driving them. My turntable was suspended from the ceiling with an elaborate suspension system to keep the bass from the 400-watt 20" sub from making the needle skip.

It was glorious and I regret nothing. 

I now have a pair of QSC K12.2 2000-watt speakers for when I want to piss off the neighborhood. They don't have the sound quality of the old system but they are damn good and have 132 db of wake the dead on tap. 

What!!? Speak up boy and stop mumbling!!

wae
wae PowerDork
12/6/22 1:00 p.m.

The hatred I have for FedEx burns with the intensity of a thousand suns.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/6/22 1:35 p.m.

Is there a worse feeling than hearing a new song, going "Ugh, this is berkeleying awful" and then discovering it's a band you like?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/6/22 1:48 p.m.

The tough guy PPE attitude is so annoying.  I don't listen to loud music, I use muffs or ear plugs when I know I am going to be in a loud environment, including concerts or race tracks.  I have tinnitus in my right ear because I accidentally forgot to put my hearing protection on before firing two rounds out of a rifle back in my twenties.  My hearing is bad enough, I don't want it to get worse.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
12/6/22 2:08 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Yes.

Hearing a new song, thinking it was pretty good then finding out that it was Nickleback or something like that

1 ... 1679 1680 1681 1682 1683 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2KRSqAnP8W2wSSOwyo35EVLBRAtk3g8ffFSqiIjcWumOdDsgiYv4qZ9Hpe2ULE4L