1 ... 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 ... 1927
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/24/23 12:48 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Every single employee affected by it needs to walk out halfway through the day next Monday. Send them a berkeleying message.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
1/24/23 8:20 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

The entire negotiating schism will never be resolved: 

SIDE 1: Do you haggle over the price of a gallon of milk at the grocery store? Of course not. Why do you want to haggle with me?
SIDE 2: (in a grocery store, talking to the cashier) This milk expires tomorrow, I notice you have 35 gallons to get rid of before then. Think you could mark it down to half price for me? Call the manager if you have to.

Both sides want to maximize the number of dollars they wind up with in their own pocket, and both sides can't win. The fair result is when both sides are both a bit unhappy about everything.

I've negotiated in stores.

The problem of negotiation is not necessarily the fault of the negotiator, but sometimes people's tendency to over value what they have just because it's theirs.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/23 9:35 a.m.

Dear V.A.G. 

While seat heaters are a nice option on a vehicle, it would be nice if they had a setting between a tiny and barely noticeable amount above ambient and 2nd-degree burns. 

I know I need to get rid of some fat, but rendering it onto the floorboards in the Touareg is not in my plans. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/25/23 9:38 a.m.

My 78 year old dad just tested positive for covid among other medical concerns. All.i can do is trust the doctors and pray. Hopefully we get more time together. Hes my best friend. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/25/23 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Best of luck and medical science to him, Michael.  I hope everything works out.  I know he has underlying issues, but COVID is often very mild.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/25/23 10:02 a.m.
Peabody said:
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

The entire negotiating schism will never be resolved: 

SIDE 1: Do you haggle over the price of a gallon of milk at the grocery store? Of course not. Why do you want to haggle with me?
SIDE 2: (in a grocery store, talking to the cashier) This milk expires tomorrow, I notice you have 35 gallons to get rid of before then. Think you could mark it down to half price for me? Call the manager if you have to.

Both sides want to maximize the number of dollars they wind up with in their own pocket, and both sides can't win. The fair result is when both sides are both a bit unhappy about everything.

I've negotiated in stores.

The problem of negotiation is not necessarily the fault of the negotiator, but sometimes people's tendency to over value what they have just because it's theirs.

Negotiation is just a subset of the larger Asker / Non-asker divide.  Among many other ways to analyze them, people generally break down into two groups:

• Those who figure it never hurts to ask for something

• Those who view asking for something as an imposition

Askers never mind dealing with other askers, because to them it's no big deal either way.

Non-askers take other non-askers seriously, because they know the other person wouldn't ask if it wasn't important.

The awkwardness arises when the different types interact:

Askers don't understand how much of an imposition their ask is to a non-asker, because they figure rejecting the ask is easy, like it would be to them.  But it is tough on the non-asker because they assume the ask must be important.

And non-askers hesitate to ask when they really could, because they assume it is an imposition.  Similarly, they are hurt when rejected, because they assume the other person should understand the ask is important, or the non-asker wouldn't even have asked in the first place.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
1/25/23 11:49 a.m.

I don't think the endowment effect can be discounted - no pun intended.

I'm a negotiator, I enjoy doing it, but it's a means to an end, and I enjoy it more when I don't have to. So when people price things accordingly, I don't negotiate, I just pay what they're asking.

I messaged someone this morning about a bike. Are you flexible on price? The answer was no, price is firm. It's been for sale for 8 weeks. You'd think he'd take the hint. 

I don't think it has to be that way.  The sale I mentioned on the last page, I built a little cushion in the price such that I could give some discount, and still make what I thought was a good profit. He wanted it cheaper than I'd listed and offered accordingly.  In that instance we both got what we wanted, and we both went away happy.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/25/23 12:16 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

That's a fantastic term. I lean towards non-asker, but if someone asked if I was flexible on pricing, I would be far more receptive than if you said what's the lowest you'll go. Throwing out a insultingly low number with no other communication shuts the conversation down immediately.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/25/23 12:29 p.m.

Rant 1: My Father in law and wife need to fire the malpractice attorney and find one who knows what he's doing. This is ridiculous. 

Rant 2: My Father in law and mother in law need to get their zoning attorney to file suit against the other party. This is getting ridiculous. 

Rant 3: My in laws should have moved 10 years ago. We knew this was coming. We know it is illegal. But we're wasting so much time and energy for something that just should not be their problem anymore.

Rant 4: My mother in law needs to take advantage of Illinois' legal marijuana laws and chill the berkeley out about not having internet for a few hours. I'm so tired of going over there to set up a hotspot every time the internet is out for an hour or two. YOU'RE RETIRING IN A MONTH. Tell them to deal with it if you're not online for an hour. They'll be fine, or they won't, but they're not going to punish you. You're in a berkeleying union, you've been working there forever, you do twice as much work as anyone else. 

Rant 5: My wife is getting a tonsillectomy sometime next month. This will suck. 

Rant 6: My wife is freaking out about everything. Honey. Stop. You're worried about something that may or may not happen in the next 2-104 weeks. We'll deal with it when it happens, IF it happens. How is it possible to be so worried about quite literally everything? 

Rant 7: Look, sweetie, I'm all for equality and everything and non-conforming gender roles. But you don't have a job right now, and I'm working 2 jobs. You need to handle cleaning the kitchen and doing the laundry. And you can do all of this without a phone call to me anytime we have a minor disruption. Like today's phone call: "I don't know if I have enough gas to get to Costco" ...OK... so stop at one of the 3 gas stations on the way to Costco. You're an adult. This isn't hard. "Should I get enough gas just to get me to Costco or fill up all the way?" Honey, I don't care. Make a berkeleying decision here. It'll be a difference of less than $5, but since you're going to Costco anyway may as well just get enough to get you there. 

On a positive note, because of all of this stress I partook in an aforementioned activity that is legal in this state last night. I don't do that often, maybe 4 times a year, for various reasons from health to employment to "other stuff", but it was exactly what was needed last night, even though I learned that I don't have a working lighter right now and had to use matches. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/25/23 1:41 p.m.

My son was in a minor single car accident in another state on the 31st. Insurance supplied a tow but the car never showed up at the body shop. I spent 2 weeks talking patiently with the insurance company. Yes, they towed it. Yes, it might take a while because there's snow on the ground. Yes, the driver has pictures of where he dropped it off. No, the car never showed up at the body shop. No, they couldn't find any evidence of the car being dropped off on their video security system. Arrrgggg. I finally called the restaurant where the the car was parked immediately after the accident. Yes, we've been wondering why that cute little Mazda has been parked there for so long. berkeleying amateurs.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/25/23 1:48 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I hope he heals quickly.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/25/23 3:12 p.m.

Dear Boss 1:

I get that you and your extended family have all the personal stuff shipped to the office to save a buck or two on sales tax.  It shows up every day.  But all those boxes and shipping bags and packing material?  That's trash.  Throw that E36 M3 out - preferably as soon as you open it, but maybe at least once a month?  Please?

Dear Boss 2:

Nobody prints stuff if they don't have to.  Especially not 20-pound rolls of paper drawings and 3-inch-thick project manuals.  Even the state bureaucracy is on board with that.  I understand that they used to require triplicate hard copy submissions, but that hasn't been the case for more than 5 years.  Spare a damn tree and stop printing multiple huge sets at every project milestone.  Nobody wants that E36 M3 any more and nobody's ever going to look at it, especially not since it is effectively out-of-date the moment it is printed.  There's at least a hundred pounds of never-opened drawing / spec sets that have been standing around the office for 2 years at least.  STOP MAKING MORE.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
1/25/23 3:41 p.m.

Cleaning out my LinkedIn messaging (which is almost always spam from LinkedIn itself) and I found an email from a recruiter at a company I tried to get into for about a year. Turns out they had a job I would have fit perfectly. Too bad the email was from 2014....

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/23 5:20 p.m.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why we also clear the snow off the roof of our cars:

dude was pulling up behind me at an intersection. Hit the brakes and the lights went out.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/23 6:04 p.m.

Berrrrrrrrrrrrkeley

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/23 6:05 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why we also clear the snow off the roof of our cars:

dude was pulling up behind me at an intersection. Hit the brakes and the lights went out.

And then they hit the wipers and break the wiper transmission.

This is known as "instant karma".

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 Reader
1/26/23 10:57 a.m.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with the Mercedes dealership.

When I grounded the starter to the frame it fried the steering lock. The dealership replaced this last week with a refurbished unit and all was well until this past Saturday when the steering lock failed again so I had the car brought back to the dealer.

I had to go get my work badges from the car yesterday and the technician asked to speak to me. He is STILL insisting that the car will not start without the automatic shifter plugged in when my issue has nothing to do with a no start condition and it's really starting to piss me off. 

The way the steering lock and ignition works is you put your key in the EIS and it either accepts or rejects it. If it accepts it, a signal is sent to the steering lock to unlock the column and complete the ignition circuit. My steering lock is not unlocking. This has absolutely nothing to do with anything related to a transmission.

These guys have seen my GLK, they had my E550 starting last week, I know they can see the variant coding in the computers. I don't understand why it's so berkeleying hard to diagnose a no ignition issue without trying to blame it on something that has been coded out with FACTORY OPTIONS. 

wae
wae PowerDork
1/26/23 12:03 p.m.

In reply to iammclovin804 :

In my experience, the people at the Mercedes dealership are just not our people.

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 Reader
1/26/23 12:49 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Yeah that's the truth. I imagine all they're doing is hooking the car up to xentry and clicking no start and then hitting a brick wall when it says "ensure car is in park or neutral". 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/26/23 1:01 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

I always think I'd like to live in rural Wisconsin when I retire.  A nice cabin on the lake?

We are having weather like this in Chicago this week and I'm convinced I must be an idiot.  

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/26/23 3:26 p.m.

In reply to grover :

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/26/23 3:35 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I always think I'd like to live in rural Wisconsin when I retire.  A nice cabin on the lake?

We are having weather like this in Chicago this week and I'm convinced I must be an idiot.  

My in-laws live in semi-rural Wisconsin. Our annual trip there over Christmas is more than enough to convince me that I don't want to live more than a few hundred miles North of where I currently live...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/23 4:04 p.m.

Covid round 3

j_tso
j_tso Dork
1/26/23 7:23 p.m.

I hate younger me.

Why did he use that many different bolt head sizes on the exhaust?

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
1/26/23 9:17 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I got a lot of questions for folks who still willingly live in Chicago. Even when they try to make the city sound like it's not so bad, they make it sound bad. 

1 ... 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OBAyHsVH0v9ecWzFbs3mjNFKTV8LMSf8kL2pfQwB8YnbHKfUWz0riql62gFchpHn