1 ... 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 ... 1925
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/23 7:25 p.m.

American Airlines can join Hennessey Honda of Woodstock at the baggadix buffet. My 10:56AM flight out of Palm Springs was delayed 2+ hours and I would have missed my connection at DFW. Somehow they think rebooking me on the 6AM flight tomorrow is an acceptable move. Sorry berkeleyo, not even close. I'm now sitting at a gate at LAX (after a 2.5-hour drive from PSP) for a goddamned Spirit flight that *should* put me home at 2AM vs my original 9PM. So far, every Spirit flight on the board has been delayed except the one to New Orleans.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

*should* put me home at 2AM vs my original 9PM. So far, every Spirit flight on the board has been delayed except the one to New Orleans.

Spirit website said 4:37 PM departure when i clicked "purchase" and 5:34 PM when my purchase was confirmed mere seconds later. We actually took off at 6:30-ish PM (Pacific) and landed about 1:35 AM (Eastern). Tomorrow I work on Challenge car.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/23 5:41 a.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Kind of like how I tell my brother, a commercial airline pilot, he's just a glorified bus driver? 

He doesn't even have to steer the whole time

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/1/23 6:08 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/23 12:32 p.m.

Saw a Europa for sale remarkably inexpensive. Clean, intact, cared for runner, with some minor issues not beyond my capabilities.  And remarkably inexpensive.

Reading on... seller needs to move car fast because he bought it before driving it and at 5'10 he is too tall to drive it.

I am... er... more than 5'10.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/1/23 12:37 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Saw a Europa for sale remarkably inexpensive. Clean, intact, cared for runner, with some minor issues not beyond my capabilities.  And remarkably inexpensive.

Reading on... seller needs to move car fast because he bought it before driving it and at 5'10 he is too tall to drive it.

I am... er... more than 5'10.

I'm 6', and have folded myself into a Europa, but it was a snug fit.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/1/23 12:54 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Same heights can be different for people. Long legs, different torsos, etc...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/1/23 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Pete's also noticeably taller than me.  smiley

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/23 1:31 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to eastsideTim :

Same heights can be different for people. Long legs, different torsos, etc...

I have most of that, yes.

I have also found that I would not be able to drive an ND RF without removal of much interior plastic, which negates the idea of driving a new car.

Granted, this alone should dissuade me from wanting a car that I have to stretch down to touch the roof.  But they are so cool.

In a way, I almost envy transgendered people.  They have options for getting past their bodies' inadequacies.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
4/1/23 1:31 p.m.

Just got the renewal notice for our letter sized PO Box (USPS)... $60 increase over last year!  In the last four years, it's increased from ~$80/year to $224/year this year.  And their service is just as E36 M3ty as it was 17 years ago when it was $34/year.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
4/1/23 1:48 p.m.

A couple of my friends have canceled their Hagerty policies in the last few months due to massive increases at renewal time. I really hoped I wouldn't have to do the same, but a 50% increase in my premium is going to force it. Argh.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/1/23 5:20 p.m.

Get thee to a nunnery, go. Farewell. Or, if thou wilt needs marry, marry a fool; wise men know well enough what monsters you make of them. To a nunnery, go, and quickly too. Farewell.

Had a power pole in the backyard catch fire today. It started a small grass fire in the backyard, which I put out before I figured out what happened. City fire dept got here in 10 minutes but they couldn't do anything until the power company shut the power off.

That took 2 berking hours. ​​​​​​

During that time, the power pole burned in half, dropping the lines in the yard which caused the transformer to go explodey. Which caught the fence on fire. Good thing the fire dept was still here. The power finally got shut off immediately after that and they extinguished the fire. 

It took Duke Energy about 2.5 hours to replace the pole. We got notification that the power was restored while we were sitting in a local BBQ joint having dinner. 

How it started:

"Why did the grass randomly catch fire!?"

"Oh berk, time to call 911!"

Top 4ft or so fell after the pole burned through. Look at all the vegetation on the pole. 

New pole installed. They also felled the small tree that was on the outside of the fence in the corner and helpfully left it on my shed :/

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/23 12:03 a.m.

I opened my 1/4 drive and socket drawer today to find a dead mouse.

Luckily, it was freshly dead.

I've known for a while that the garage cat is getting on in age and has lost a few steps. It seems like it's time to get a 5 gallon mouse trap working on the mouse problem in the garage.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
4/2/23 12:39 a.m.

People who think Bondo® is a structural material! no sad angry
People who use Bondo® on Fiberglass. no sad
The price of blasting soda to remove Bondo®.

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
4/2/23 9:06 p.m.

I like how I can use my CC twice in 48 hours in FL and the bank thinks it's fraud. On the flip side, I can get gas in 3 different states over 48 hours and they don't blink an eye

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/2/23 9:37 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

I applaud your use of the registered ®️ and capitalized Bondo.

To add to the detail, technically Fiberglas®️ only has one S.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/2/23 9:37 p.m.

The fund managers for eastsideWife's investment account sure do love to churn stocks.  I just spent almost two hours going through the 1099 forms in order to find $39.06 of the "qualified" dividends were not qualified.  Taxes were so much easier to do before she opened this taxable account.  I also suspect the money would do just as well, or better, in an S&P 500 ETF.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/23 10:16 a.m.

Either I've developed a severe allergy to Citristrip, or I've acquired a mystery skin problem. I'm covered in blisters that itch like mad. Arms, legs, crotch, hands, stomach, back. It's been days and I'm going nuts. Benadryl does nothing, claritin does nothing, showering only seems to make it worse. Beeeerrrrkkkk. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/23 10:25 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

1. that sucks

2. that sounds like poison ivy.  been clearing any overgrown areas of RevFarm?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/3/23 10:33 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Does anyone else have it in the house? Cause it sounds like bedbugs to me. 

RevRico
4/3/23 10:41 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Just me, but we did change the sheets, mattress pad, etc. the day I noticed it, because it had been a bit longer than it should have been. But that was one of my first thoughts.

I've been too busy procrastinating the bathroom to do any yard work yet either. 

Unless Sams club changed what goes in their free and clear, sensitive skin, or whatever they call it laundry pods. 

Because of course I started playing with paint stripper the day after we changed laundry pods so they're both in the running. No gloves, but hoody and jeans are usually good enough protection.  Usually it's full body for me with bad laundry soap, not just splotches. Like I'll look like the koolaid man. 

Only bugs I've even seen were a swarm of gnats last weekend I swatted at, and I guess the tick I pulled out of my hip 2 weeks ago. 

Maybe all the dust from the vermiculite and asbestos insulation, plaster, and drywall from the bathroom combined to attack me. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
4/3/23 10:44 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

When you noticed it, was it all over your body already? If claritin and benadryl didn't work and you don't chronically take them, it doesn't sound like an allergic reaction. The hot water making them feel worse makes me think of chiggers.

EDIT: My bet is that paint thinner then, it's nasty E36 M3. You need a respirator with it unless it specifies it's "safe".

RevRico
4/3/23 11:12 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

In reply to RevRico :

When you noticed it, was it all over your body already? If claritin and benadryl didn't work and you don't chronically take them, it doesn't sound like an allergic reaction. The hot water making them feel worse makes me think of chiggers.

EDIT: My bet is that paint thinner then, it's nasty E36 M3. You need a respirator with it unless it specifies it's "safe".

First noticed at the top inside of my left leg. Had the wife check it out with a flashlight and she said dry skin. But then above my left knee, both hands, and lower legs showed up a day later. 

I think a big part of it is stripper, because I cleaned up it work area yesterday and had some new blisters on my hands an hour later. 

High winds and aerosol could probably get it to penetrate clothing. Cause at least I'm smart enough to work outside. Usually stripper just shreds my skin on my fingers though.

I don't usually get blisters like these

Google tells me some may be chiggers. The patterns on my left knee and right elbow sure for that description. Maybe I lucked into both chem burns and chiggers. We're still getting below freezing at night, but haven't had any prolonged freezes all winter. Definitely looks like what I had on my legs last summer that antibiotics did nothing for.

1 ... 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 ... 1925

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0m8xdCST7BgfgjXtseM2JauSwvn7244ihg1NsTJZrjkcVrHDjmkXhQXukWbd18Hq