1 ... 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 ... 1926
eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
5/19/23 9:04 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I think you guys are confusing not working with doing  nothing at all. Unless your work involves riding motorcycles, painting, playing with LEGO, etc. I'd rather never work again.

Agreed, if I could retire right now, I still wouldn't have time to do all the stuff I'd like to do before I die.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
5/19/23 9:47 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
Appleseed said:

I think you guys are confusing not working with doing  nothing at all. Unless your work involves riding motorcycles, painting, playing with LEGO, etc. I'd rather never work again.

Agreed, if I could retire right now, I still wouldn't have time to do all the stuff I'd like to do before I die.

Had to quote this.  So very true.  I could keep busy 7-days a week if I retired right now.  I could actually accomplish things that I'm forced to chornically half-ass. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/19/23 9:53 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I think you guys are confusing not working with doing  nothing at all. Unless your work involves riding motorcycles, painting, playing with LEGO, etc. ...

I mean, not riding motorcycles with what I do for work, but...

side eye teddy Meme Generator - Imgflip

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/19/23 9:56 a.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:
eastsideTim said:
Appleseed said:

Had to quote this.  So very true.  I could keep busy 7-days a week if I retired right now.  I could actually accomplish things that I'm forced to chornically half-ass. 

Ahh... but can you afford to eat, as well?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
5/19/23 10:02 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Scotty Con Queso said:
eastsideTim said:
Appleseed said:

Ahh... but can you afford to eat, as well?

Which is why I haven't retired laugh

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/19/23 10:22 a.m.
Appleseed said:

This.

Hell, I plan to clean the garage for the first year of my retirement.  Second year will be the basement.  Third year, the attic.  I can't wait.

In between that there are books to read, videogames to play, autocross courses to design - autocrosses to attend - watercolors to paint, guitars to relearn how to play, places to visit, etc etc etc...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/23 10:58 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
Appleseed said:

I haven't had an actual job since 2011. I've only made it fishing 3 times in the last 4 years. I live 2 minutes from the berkeleying river. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/19/23 11:05 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
Appleseed said:

If I didn't have to worry about health/dental insurance once the house is paid off in a few years I would be all too happy quitting (or going to part time, since they'd likely still need me for some things I'm one of the few who know how to do them) and either making a bit of money with designing & 3D printing things and/or taking over some of the admin stuff for The Dancer's non-profit. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
5/19/23 11:38 a.m.

You guys realize you can stream yourself doing like 95% of your hobbies and as long as you aren't a shiny happy person to most people that come in, you can get paid for it, right?

To become an affiliate on twitch (receive subs, bits and have ads run) the two biggest hurdles are 3 viewers per hour and 50 followers. The rest are stream like 12 hours and stream on 8 different days. I am certain there are enough members here who would be a follower AND hang out to watch you paint, game, build LEGO or even learn something new on guitar. They payout on the 15th of every month once you hit the thresh hold of $50 USD. I stream not nearly as much as I want and have my ad settings as low as I can and I get money every 4 months from recurring subs. 

Get something started now and in a few years you could have a nice little community of people paying to watch you enjoy yourself. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/19/23 12:05 p.m.
DjGreggieP said:

You guys realize ... people paying to watch you... 

Oof. I'm glad that's working out for you, but as a practicing introvert, this makes my skin crawl. Given the option, I'd rather just stay on the job.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/19/23 12:32 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:
DjGreggieP said:

Oof. I'm glad that's working out for you, but as a practicing introvert, this makes my skin crawl. Given the option, I'd rather just stay on the job.

Yeah, that was my first thought too.

Scotty Con Queso
5/19/23 3:36 p.m.

With the exception of one, it has rained every Saturday for the last 6-weeks here.  My daughter has played 1 of 5 schedule softball games. Spring camp out, trip to the zoo, and multiple other events have been canceled or spent in the rain. Tomorrow we have community day and we're supposed to be in the parade. Guess what? It's gonna rain. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/23 5:04 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

You're welcome to bring the family down next Saturday rain or shine, there'll be enough brisket to make you forget about the rain. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/23 5:07 p.m.

The same thing is happening here.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/19/23 6:45 p.m.
Duke said:
DarkMonohue said:
DjGreggieP said:

Yeah, that was my first thought too.

I'm an extrovert. I should really be asking why aren't I doing this?

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/19/23 6:55 p.m.

God I hate Yelp. So I get a very nice review from a customer, which prompts me to go to their listing of my company. Where's the new review? Nowhere to be seen. Letsee, that raving moron who wrote a bad review of us for not leaving our door open (!!) is still there. A bunch of good reviews by reputable people are in the "not recommended" category.  Of course the people who advertise with them mysteriously end up with the less favorable reviews shuffled into the back. I expect their salespersons to come in wearing pinstripes saying: "Nice place you got here, it'd be a shame if it got negative reviews".   

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/19/23 7:05 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

With the exception of one, it has rained every Saturday for the last 6-weeks here.  My daughter has played 1 of 5 schedule softball games. Spring camp out, trip to the zoo, and multiple other events have been canceled or spent in the rain. Tomorrow we have community day and we're supposed to be in the parade. Guess what? It's gonna rain. 

That's incredibly frustrating. It was the same story here until recently.  Constant rain made it impossible to do anything. That lasted until a couple of weeks ago, when a sudden heat wave made it impossible to do anything.

Well, that's not entirely true. We did have one gorgeous weekend in there, which I celebrated by being stuck indoors with an absolutely brutal head cold, about which I've already minor ranted.

Today's minor rant: I'm okay with being clumsy. I'm okay with being the fat guy at work. Somehow I managed to fumble my spoon this morning while digging out the last spoonful of Greek yogurt and send little chunklets of it flying all over my shirt, rendering me the clumsy fat guy with food on his shirt. Classic DM.

At least it was Friday and the office was a ghost town. And at least I had a toothbrush in the desk and was able to discretely scrub my shame away in the restroom. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/19/23 11:47 p.m.

I finally popped in to see whatvthecthreadxwas all about . I don't know what you guys are talking about ,  the EV/ICE thread is so incredibly entertaining. Bat-E36 M3 entertainment, but entertainment nonetheless. Holy berk.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/23 1:31 a.m.
Beer Baron said:
Antihero said:

Think about this : spending 50 years to make sure roughly 15 years of your life is "better" is kind of ridiculous if you really think about it. It's a weird system overall.

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't like either side of that divide.

The idea of the typical retirement doesn't strike me as especially appealing. I like working. I like having something to do. Sitting around idle sounds like the path to letting your mind and body degrade.

Granted, I'd like to spend fewer hours doing easier work as I get older, but I want to enjoy doing meaningful work and having leisure time to enjoy experiences my entire life.

Spending all my time working and then spending no time working sounds like two different types of punishment.

It's not weird but in my case I could quit working a job and still have stuff to do at 40 hours a week for several years without a job. Maybe even more than several.

But I am weird too, I work about 6 hour days about 4 days a week and have fought to do so. Really, 3 days is better even

Scotty Con Queso
5/20/23 7:47 a.m.
RevRico said:

You're welcome to bring the family down next Saturday rain or shine, there'll be enough brisket to make you forget about the rain. 

Really appreciate that sir. Our calendar is booked through mid June unfortunately. I need to get over your way sometime. I'll bring the cigars. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/20/23 7:11 p.m.

Truck makers: We gave you everything you wanted

Customers: Awesome

Also customers: Agggh, that costs way too much, I can't afford that. 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/23 7:39 p.m.

My kitten is broken :(

better times

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/20/23 9:14 p.m.

I hope your kitty feels better soon.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
5/20/23 9:25 p.m.

Our 2014 Grand Caravan had a weird cooling temp issue yesterday. After a couple miles of diving around town, the coolant temp spiked and it was beeping in alarm. My wife immediately parked and I was there a few minutes later. The cooling system was cool enough to not have pressure (it did repressurize on the 2 miles back home). Sounds like it could be just the sensor. My rant? I just watched a video on how to get to the $5 sensor. 9 minutes of fast forward video style of a competent guy with a good selection of tools, including some "tricks," and then the intake manifold is finally off with the gasket surfaces clean. Time to see if OBDII has picked up a code. The check engine light is not on, so...

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/23 10:29 p.m.
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) said:

I hope your kitty feels better soon.

It's going to be a long recovery. Both rear legs broken. 

She's eating, anyway. 

These two kittens have put me through a lot of emotional trauma over the last week. 

Orla, who is mostly fluff, disappeared for a week and came back skinny, hungry, and smelling of someone's laundry room. 

Goblin, the one currently on the DL, seemed a little put out when Orla showed up and took her favorite spot on the tractor seat-- maybe even a little bit of a prodigal cat situation.  Then she disappeared on Thursday. 

Orla pointed her out to us this afternoon. No road rash, so most likely not hit by car.  We've seen her trying to jump from the roof of the truck into the barn rafters, so all we can figure is she took a bad spill from a fairly high fall. 

1 ... 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wckye1QlaqqiZNdKgpR7gV8FtiZmQbn2ssuZla6rL9dwLWNBY7eSYaTCPLghkn1e