1 ... 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 ... 1927
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/21/23 12:18 a.m.

I have had a very E36 M3ty week, starting with the drain cock on my radiator somehow opening and ejecting all the coolant.

I need a break

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/21/23 9:09 a.m.

Me: Autotrader, sort by price ascending.

Autotrader: I got you... $46k, $12k, $26k, $15k, $29k, $14k, $45k.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
5/21/23 10:20 a.m.

Man, I shoulda known that peat pots weren't good for starting plants in. I decided to try planting some of my tomatoes in pots on my porch and began removing the biggest (nearly a foot tall, I've made an excellent growing rig!) and quickly found that the peat had completely turned to soil and all my starter tomatoes and peppers were growing together into a massive thicket. So despite only having ~2 hours to eat and work before bed thanks to working 12s, I had to go into emergency potting mode to try and save as many as I could- I did, but it cut into my sleep time.

Now at least I know better; next time I start my garden I'm doing it in plastic pots I've had from other purchases. The peat might be good for a little seedling at first, but a tiny plastic cup "pot" will allow them to establish far more, far better than they ever could in the peat. Also, berk rabbits for eating all my sunflower seedlings.

Appleseed said:

I finally popped in to see whatvthecthreadxwas all about . I don't know what you guys are talking about ,  the EV/ICE thread is so incredibly entertaining. Bat-E36 M3 entertainment, but entertainment nonetheless. Holy berk.

They've now brought up crime statistics and COVID, cause you know, that's related to electro cars

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/23 11:40 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

If you can find these anywhere, they're the best starter I've come across.

The pellets sit and expand in plastic cells, but water from the bottom "reservoir". Super fast, super hands off, everything is easy to separate. I've had trouble finding them this year but have used them the past several years with great results.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
5/21/23 12:29 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Huh, that looks pretty nice! I'll keep an eye out for em, I was using foil roasting pans for mine.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/23 1:00 p.m.

While we were on vacation our garden guy/cat sitter texted me that the garden tractor wouldn't restart. Fortunately that was after he had already mowed most of the lawn.

Got to diagnose the issue this morning - the initial suspicion was that it had a fuel or ignition issue. But of course it wasn't, it was the third component that makes for successful ignition that's missing. I guess it would help compression if the berkeleying valves were moving. Yep, early JD 445 and it looks like it just ate its cam gear. So now I get to figure out if I want to buy another tractor or try to rush an engine rebuild, especially as I don't know about the condition of rest of the engine. Guess I should pull it out and tear into it first. Once I figure out how to actually get the tractor into my workshop, that is. Because of course it broke down in an inconvenient place where I can't use a cherry picker.

So much for working on what I actually want to work on. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/21/23 5:34 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

Had an opportunity (read: obligation) to mow the lawn today before the rain comes back. The mower made one ~50 foot pass before the blade stopped tuning. The aftermarket (Stens) blade clutch cable I put on a year and a half ago bent up, and I had to farmer-fix it with a splint made of two 16d nails and wrapped in salvaged safety wire.

The OEM (Toro) cable lasted over a decade.

And people wonder why I generally don't trust aftermarket parts...

Mother ...(!)  Same mower, same lawn.

A couple of weeks ago it quit while mowing.  I pulled the float bowl, and found gelatinous goo growing in a few spots where the bowl was being eaten away, presumable by water that had settled out of the fuel.  That got wiped out and reassembled, and I finished the lawn and added a carburetor rebuild kit on my mental shopping list.

Lovely day today, nice weather, so I mowed the lawn again.  Or most of it.  The mower went low on power, then died and refused to start.  Not a single one of you will be surprised that there was more junk in the float bowl.  The whole carb came off for a more thorough cleaning, including scrubbing some white crusties off the casting.  The fuel hose was also suspect so that got replaced.  Thankfully I found some good 1/4" hose laying in the toolbox with to the fuel pressure test gauge.

The mower finally ran well upon reassembly and I finished the job and decided to fire up the string trimmer.  No points will be awarded for guessing that it, too, refused to participate.  Apparently it was still on the original (2009) fuel lines as well.  Again I got lucky and had just enough of the correct size Tygon on hand to replace the suction lines, and it seems okay now.

I am growing increasingly weary of having to perform some kind of unscheduled small engine repair every single weekend.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/21/23 5:42 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

I have an 18volt Milwaukee string trimmer.  You'd need a massive yard to need more capacity than it has.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/21/23 6:07 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Copy that. I would really rather not buy another piece of equipment, but at some point, I will probably go electric.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/21/23 6:12 p.m.

Yeah, when my husqvarna string trimmer dies, or the ryobi 40v goes on sale, im changing over. Im sick of fixing crap to do lawn maintenance i don't want to do in the first place. 

Like rebuilding the 66 hour old engine on my husqvarna riding mower that took an unscheduled E36 M3, necessitating borrowing another running mower that needed the deck repaired via welder and doesn't turn right. 

I freaking hate lawncare equipment. It can all eat a bag of dicks at this point. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/21/23 9:43 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Lawn care is bullE36 M3.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/22/23 10:00 a.m.

For the second time in my life,  I've chewed milk.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/22/23 10:06 a.m.
DarkMonohue said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Copy that. I would really rather not buy another piece of equipment, but at some point, I will probably go electric.

Yes. My trimmer and leaf blower are electric and I'll never go back.

My next lawn mower will be a robot.

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/22/23 10:51 a.m.

Well, shall we go?

Yes, let's go.

(They do not move)

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/22/23 1:02 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Lawn care is bullE36 M3.

When my mower started misbehaving 2 falls ago, I started having the guy who cuts our neighbor's lawn cut ours and I've not looked back. Do I like having that extra expense? No. Is it worth not having to berk with the mower, trimmer, and leaf blower? Absolutely. We were even able to pay him a bit extra one week to haul off the massive pile of wood that was left over from when I cleared out behind the garage to put up the storage shed back there (which ironically was mainly to get all of the lawn crap out of the garage...).

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/22/23 4:14 p.m.

I've been paying someone to mow/edge/blow twice a month for the last 25 years. It's money well spent. I have allergies and can't stand mowing. I enjoy a bit of gardening/planting a few times a year and probably wouldn't if I had to maintain the lawn too. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/22/23 4:34 p.m.

I met a guy this past weekend who grew up in Rwanda in the 90's.  He got a missionary box as a kid.  It had a candy cane and he didn't know what it was then he was told to eat it.  He did and said it tasted better with the wrapper off. If your box had a notebook and pencil you got to go to school.........

Wild right? So why am I annoyed with my family, wife, kid, vehicles, rototiller, lawn mower and my dog?  I'm in a big time get off my lawn mood.  Oooh, my Silverado has a scratch, worst day of my life. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/23 12:16 p.m.

Your account is more than 60 days past due. 

No, I won't come look at something. No, I won't tell you how to adjust something. No, I won't tell you how much a repair will cost or send you an estimate for anything. 

The only thing I have to say to you is, "Pay your past-due invoices."

The only thing I will send you is copies of your past-due invoices.

That will be the only interaction we will have until your account is paid up.

Yes, when it comes to multi-million dollar companies that don't pay their bills, I am the meanest a$$hole you will meet because I'm a little E36 M3 company that manages to pay my bill on time. You are stealing money out of my personal pocket you berkeleytard. You are no longer a customer, you are a deadbeat POS that doesn't pay their bills. It will be remembered for a long time and color all of our future interactions long past the time your account is current. 

Now berkeley off, I've got to go pay bills. 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/23/23 1:05 p.m.
Toyman! said:

Your account is more than 60 days past due. 

No, I won't come look at something. No, I won't tell you how to adjust something. No, I won't tell you how much a repair will cost or send you an estimate for anything. 

The only thing I have to say to you is, "Pay your past-due invoices."

The only thing I will send you is copies of your past-due invoices.

That will be the only interaction we will have until your account is paid up.

Yes, when it comes to multi-million dollar companies that don't pay their bills, I am the meanest a$$hole you will meet because I'm a little E36 M3 company that manages to pay my bill on time. You are stealing money out of my personal pocket you berkeleytard. You are no longer a customer, you are a deadbeat POS that doesn't pay their bills. It will be remembered for a long time and color all of our future interactions long past the time your account is current. 

Now berkeley off, I've got to go pay bills. 

The story for one of the companies I've worked for that was notoriously late to pay was that janitorial company was going to stop putting paper in the toilet stalls if they didn't bring their account up to date.

o

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/23/23 1:39 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

My old boss was a notorious douche about that.  One of numerous reasons I quit that job.

He would always pressure us project managers to bill clients ahead of the work being done.  "Negative unbilled work" he called it.  The flip side of that is he would hold on to consultants' money for as long as he possibly could, and sometimes longer.  At least that was out of my hands so I didn't have to tell my engineers why we were 2 invoices behind.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/23/23 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Once a large corporation wanted to package my pump connectors with their pumps.  A large volume order for us but I'm making 15%-20% GP. I wasn't happy about margins that low but it might be worth $500,000 in sales.  

Buyer tells me we have to agree to Net 90 payment terms as that's how large corporations roll.  At that point I wrapped it up and never called her again.  

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/23 2:22 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I have told a customer, "Your terms are only relevant when I owe you money, not the other way around. My terms are net 30, no discount. I am not a bank, if you want a loan, call them."

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/23/23 4:48 p.m.

It is too warm to order Raisinets by mail.

I'll go eat my chocolate raisin blob now.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/23/23 6:57 p.m.

I was helping a customer today take brake parts out to their car (Pads and rotors all around.) I had the handy dandy parts cart because I did not want to carry them.  After loading the parts into the customers car I noticed some trash strewn around in the parking lot.  I picked it up including a used baby diaper.  *sigh*

Always classy Laurel Maryland.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/23/23 8:51 p.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

When I was being punished by being a cart bitch, I couldn't count the number of hot, steaming baby diapers I've hauled out of shopping cart, on my hands and yours. Adults are knowingly doing this. I would have given anything to be able to stuff said E36 M3 rag deep up their car's exhaust. Anything.

1 ... 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nmEvaqTS4Oyd1ud7b2cwnabPO1du9RfCUGfdtIy6ZQ0qXmb5LBHUljkbo5fxMCMN