1 ... 566 567 568 569 570 ... 1929
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/9/16 7:01 a.m.

Yes, usually right after I have not received adequate sleep. Like today.

Today's rant seems to be a common theme here lately. Guy in a Chrysler minivan comes roaring up to the intersection that I am about to enter and stops but not until after he is 4 feet into the intersection. I did honk because good lord dude, you are in the berkeleying intersection and not three feet from my front bumper (two-lane residential with a traffic light). He took this as a challenge to see how big of a dick he could be for the next two miles before he turned off down a side street. I swear I used up every ounce of patience I had this morning to not yank him out of his van and beat him senseless. I just don't have time to go to jail today, there's too much I need to get done.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/16 7:13 a.m.

May have ruined my Samurai's head gasket this morning, I probably got the engine hot enough to turn it gooey.

My electric radiator fan's automatic control circuit failed, and at the same time, to distract me from that problem, the carb started acting up and refused to idle so I had to focus on the tachometer. By the time I saw the engine temp it was about half way up the gauge, don't remember exactly where because I was panicked (I think my exact words were "HOLY FLYING BERKELEY!!!") - full operating temperature is sitting right at the bottom of the gauge.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/9/16 8:28 a.m.

Well, while some days I can relate to the not being seen driving rants, (daily driving my miata 60-240 miles/day), today is not that day. I will say, in general I haven't had too many issues with visibility, but I do ALWAYS drive with my headlights on. I will say I honestly think my (not primer) gray spray paint job has saved me from a few tickets. (Knock on wood.) In that sense I am ok with not being too noticeable.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/9/16 8:30 a.m.

My rant today: Is not very minor, I'll just leave it at that.

It hasn't been the best week, and next week will be interesting to see the culmination of this week. My head is going a mile a minute in fifty different directions. I'm not even sure what to think.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/16 9:23 a.m.

In previous years, our yearly performance assessments have been fairly in-depth analyses on the part of both the employee and supervisor using our online performance feedback tool. This year due to changes/conflicts with how our new parent company does theirs regarding schedule and approach, I've been instructed to write "a short, 3 – 4 sentence, self-assessment" of how I performed against my objectives. Which will be going to my 'supervisor' who I haven't seen in person in several years and who I rarely even interact with outside of the yearly performance review. -_-

Granted, I'm not worried about the security of my job at the moment- but it's also pretty much a formula for my not ever really having any chance for advancement either (though I kind of knew that would be a concern when I took a position at a remote location).

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/9/16 9:27 a.m.
Ashyukun wrote: In previous years, our yearly performance assessments have been fairly in-depth analyses on the part of both the employee and supervisor using our online performance feedback tool. This year due to changes/conflicts with how our new parent company does theirs regarding schedule and approach, I've been instructed to write "a short, 3 – 4 sentence, self-assessment" of how I performed against my objectives. Which will be going to my 'supervisor' who I haven't seen in person in several years and who I rarely even interact with outside of the yearly performance review. -_- Granted, I'm not worried about the security of my job at the moment- but it's also pretty much a formula for my not ever really having any chance for advancement either (though I kind of knew that would be a concern when I took a position at a remote location).

"Over the past year, I was able to meet all of my performance objectives, and exceed most of them. My presence on the team is well respected and irreplaceable. Additionally, I revolutionized the area of XYZ by implementing/designing ABC".

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/16 9:37 a.m.
mtn wrote:
Ashyukun wrote: In previous years, our yearly performance assessments have been fairly in-depth analyses on the part of both the employee and supervisor using our online performance feedback tool. This year due to changes/conflicts with how our new parent company does theirs regarding schedule and approach, I've been instructed to write "a short, 3 – 4 sentence, self-assessment" of how I performed against my objectives. Which will be going to my 'supervisor' who I haven't seen in person in several years and who I rarely even interact with outside of the yearly performance review. -_- Granted, I'm not worried about the security of my job at the moment- but it's also pretty much a formula for my not ever really having any chance for advancement either (though I kind of knew that would be a concern when I took a position at a remote location).
"Over the past year, I was able to meet all of my performance objectives, and exceed most of them. My presence on the team is well respected and irreplaceable. Additionally, I revolutionized the area of XYZ by implementing/designing ABC".

Other than the last line, and not being quite as boasting in the first, that's not too far from what I'll be writing. To my knowledge they have pretty much no budget for raises anyway, so it's not like what I say will have much impact.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
12/9/16 10:39 a.m.
Ashyukun wrote:
dropstep wrote: People would look right at the sandrail and still pull out in front of it. Then act like you did something wrong. Todays minor rant is the stupid universal dipstick design on dodge vehicles. Nothing like needing trans temp and a booklet too check the trans fluid!
At least they apparently included said dipstick for yours- I had to order it from Amazon. Still trying to figure out how to get the trans temp on my Patriot...

I work in a lube shop, we have them here i dont actually own a chrysler. We usually get the transtemp via scantool.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
12/9/16 11:01 a.m.

My body has decided that I need to take more time for myself on workdays, since the last few weeks I've only been able to sleep exactly half the hours I ordinarily would and I've been up either reading or gaming.

It's a mixed bag, I honestly feel better getting a little time to myself before going into work, but I feel like I have a little less patience for the daily stupidity that occurs once I'm here because of the sleep deficit.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/9/16 11:15 a.m.

I don't have to go looking for trouble. It finds me.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/9/16 11:33 a.m.

Day 22 of being held a hostage by the Germans.....

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
12/9/16 11:46 a.m.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/9/16 12:40 p.m.

My current approach to performance reviews has gone kind of like this:

"Is there anything I've been doing that's moving me closer to the door? If not, it's not likely there's anything we can share that's going to change my behavior. Are we done?"

So far, so good.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
12/9/16 6:29 p.m.

You know what sucks? Being a repair man who can't feel his fingers half of the day

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/16 6:31 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Did you ever have one of those days when you can't hit the ground with your hat?

I have had the days where I was afraid to go to the bathroom because it seemed like everything I touched broke.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
12/9/16 7:45 p.m.

Why can't I half ass something and be ok with it? All i was going to do was change the speakers and sound deaden the doors.

The whole interior is now out except for the dash. And its all getting sound deadening and insulating from top to bottom. And cleaned. And detailed. And....

My deadline is the 17th, and tonight i blew it all apart. Damn my perfectionist self.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/16 8:55 p.m.

more fallout from the audio leads firing last week. Today our Assistant Department Director was laid off. MGM only officially took over last month, already we lost three of our top people for the whole building and now they are getting around to the directors.

smokindav
smokindav New Reader
12/9/16 9:07 p.m.

Having trouble finding a Boxster S that isn't absolute E36 M3 or so nice that I won't want to track it. Where are all the cars in the middle? Being rubbed by their anal retentive owners every night before bed? Don't these guys ever sell?

To fill the need until I can find a good one I am now considering other cars, some that are truly E36 M3ty and some not so E36 M3ty. Like this (I'm even considering front wheel drive cars, and when you get to that point you are in the serious E36 M3 known as the delirium tremens):

GTI Civic Si Focus SVT Mazdaspeed3 E36 M3 S2000 Miata RX8 350z Wrangler

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/16 11:15 p.m.

I have to go to a wedding for the wife's family near Albany. It's going to be a bit of a E36 M3 show but on the bright side there's a bakery near by that makes the best glazed donuts I've ever had. I wa going to pick a few up to keep for breakfast this weekend but they were sold out. On the plus side I got to sneak out of the rehearsal dinner and spent three hours driving around looking at Christmas lights.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
12/10/16 6:33 a.m.
Wall-e wrote: On the plus side I got to sneak out of the rehearsal dinner and spent three hours driving around looking at Christmas lights.

Ive been known to complain about this light driving after 20 minutes. Three hours?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
12/10/16 7:46 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote:
Wall-e wrote: On the plus side I got to sneak out of the rehearsal dinner and spent three hours driving around looking at Christmas lights.
Ive been known to complain about this light driving after 20 minutes. Three hours?

I think the key there was "away from the inlaws". And looking at Christmas lights is probably better for the marriage than stuffing bills in stripper thongs.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/16 8:01 a.m.
smokindav wrote: Having trouble finding a Boxster S that isn't absolute E36 M3 or so nice that I won't want to track it. Where are all the cars in the middle? Being rubbed by their anal retentive owners every night before bed? Don't these guys ever sell? To fill the need until I can find a good one I am now considering other cars, some that are truly E36 M3ty and some not so E36 M3ty. Like this (I'm even considering front wheel drive cars, and when you get to that point you are in the serious E36 M3 known as the delirium tremens): GTI Civic Si Focus SVT Mazdaspeed3 E36 M3 S2000 Miata RX8 350z Wrangler

When scrolling quickly through the thread, this looks like a Craigslist ad. Two paragraphs and then a long list of searchbait.

This is, tangentially, a rant. When I am looking for 240SX parts, I am not interested in your rusted out Wrangler that ran good when parked but it don't run now i don't know what it is but I know it's something simple and cheap.

Wall-e
12/10/16 8:12 a.m.

I love Christmas lights. The City of Albany sets up a nice drive through display in Washington Park and then there are a few other displays north of there. I also did a couple laps around downtown Albany and near our hotel. I also like to look at old buildings and a lot of these are being restored and getting nice neon signs. I put some Christmas music on, get a hot chocolate and ride around. I would have walked a bunch of it but the wife isn't up to it anymore. I get to spend all day with this circus and have to keep my mouth shut the whole time. It's what I picture hell to be like.

Wall-e
12/10/16 10:25 a.m.

One of the grooms has posted a message on Facebook looking for a pair of underware he left behind somewhere last night.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/16 12:43 p.m.

least it wasn't one of the bride's maids.

1 ... 566 567 568 569 570 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oaqS4DIj0FKZosCiVjtd67ViuXmrKBAXTNDDJ5CQ9UsGvWwjwcj25e7UmZB8tpnA