1 ... 743 744 745 746 747 ... 1927
wae said:

I took over 1500 pictures at Daytona and now I have to go through them to get rid of the ones that are no good at all and then pick through the rest to determine which ones should get post processing and then I've got to process those.  That's almost like work.

That, sir, is a First World problem.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/1/18 1:47 p.m.

Took the boy to the doctor Monday. He was running a fever, congested and coughing. Doc looked in ears and throat said it was just a cough. He got worse so wife took him to urgent care today. Full blown flu with the possibility of viral pneumonia. Sure would have been nice if the berkeleying doc would have tested for the flu, which is rampant around here, on Monday. Now he just has to suffer through it.

I'm pissed.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/3/18 10:47 a.m.

And now I've got it. It's been years since I've been really sick, this is going to suck.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
2/3/18 10:55 a.m.

Students ask if I can open the shop for them on Saturdays so they can stay on schedule with their projects.

I left a very good paying job for a pretty good paying job so I wouldn't be working Saturdays (and Sundays and holidays and 24 hour days, etc), but since I'm such a great guy and actually enjoy working with the students, I agree.

8:00 start time.

They roll in about 9:30. Grrrr.

At least I'm banking some comp time. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/3/18 2:29 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

Tell them, "I' ll spot you 10 minutes Saturday mornings, then I start taking the project apart."

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
2/3/18 6:26 p.m.

Spent my afternoon changing coil spring mounts on the front of a 95 f150. Somedays i really think about relocating south. I hate rust.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
2/3/18 7:38 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Hmmm...

Might try that approach.

Still was a good move though....smiley

wae
wae Dork
2/4/18 7:31 p.m.

Front driver air strut has sprung a leak so everytime I shut off the car, the one corner sinks down.  $320 for a replacement from Arnott via RockAuto.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/18 7:53 p.m.
wae said:

Front driver air strut has sprung a leak so everytime I shut off the car, the one corner sinks down.  $320 for a replacement from Arnott via RockAuto.

Don't shut it off? Diesels need to run constantly anyway right?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/4/18 9:34 p.m.
SaltyDog said:

Students ask if I can open the shop for them......

Which Students? What Shop?   

Do we have a return to the past?

details....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/18 10:30 p.m.

I swear cars need a horn at the back that works when in reverse. I was sitting in a wawa parking lot (think 7-11 but clean) with my reverse lights on waiting to back out when a car stopped behind me and took their time letting passengers out to go in. There were half a dozen spaces open and you choose to stop behind me and let people out?!?

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/4/18 10:36 p.m.
Nick Comstock said:

And now I've got it. It's been years since I've been really sick, this is going to suck.

Update. I feel like absolute boiled ass. I already took a day off last week to take the boy to the doctors. I certainly do not feel like going into work tomorrow. But I if I don't I'll have to burn another paid day off and I'll feel guilty about not being there. But if I do go in and get other people sick that won't be good either.

The struggle is real.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
2/4/18 10:37 p.m.

Snow knows damn well that he puts down his quickest times on his last runs of the day.

Snow insists on being super negative leading up to said runs.  

Snow needs to knock it the hell off.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/18 8:42 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:
Nick Comstock said:

Update. I feel like absolute boiled ass. I already took a day off last week to take the boy to the doctors. I certainly do not feel like going into work tomorrow. But I if I don't I'll have to burn another paid day off and I'll feel guilty about not being there. But if I do go in and get other people sick that won't be good either.

The struggle is real.

Sorry you don’t feel well.  That royally sucks mang.

That said, if you’re berkeleying sick, don’t berkeleying go into the office.  This is exactly what sick days are for.  Use them.

Sincerely,

The poor bastards that have to share space with your “Patient Zero” Ass

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/5/18 9:03 a.m.

Early last week I picked up a set of 1/2-ton GM truck wheels with 3 good and one questionable Wrangler AT-S tires on them in hopes that a) the wheels and tires would work on the QX4 since they're the same lug pattern or b) barring that, that I could swap the tires onto the stock rims.

Found out quickly that quite counterintuitively Nissan/Infiniti 4/AWD front hubs are MUCH larger than GM 4WD front hubs so the wheels were a hard no-go. OK, fine- took the SUV tires to the nearby shop and had them test-fit the tire on the rim. Tire fits the rim fine- but since it's larger both in width and aspect ratio, it's just a HAIR too large and rubs up against both the bottom of the strut and the front of the inner fender. So instead of spending a total of about $400 for decent on/off-road tires for the QX4 I end up having to spend nearly $1k on all new tires- PLUS I still have the GM wheels & AT-S's that I need to try and sell and make back what I paid for them.

At least I have brand new solid tires on it for the coming weeks of cold/icy weather.

Also got a call this morning that (like most from unknown/800 numbers) I let go to voicemail- and actually left a voicemail. Claimed to be from fraud services for my credit card, but left a different callback number and an extension that was itself almost another phone number (didn't notice it the first time around, but they also gave the wrong last 4 numbers- gave the ones from the card we had to have replaced a few months back due to fraudulent charges). Did what I've always been told to in cases like this and called the number off the credit card itself instead and the fraud department confirmed they had no open cases on my card. So, nice try fraudsters! Still halfway tempted to call the number they gave and see how long I can feed them complete and total BS info before they realize what's going on...

wae
wae Dork
2/5/18 9:45 a.m.
EvanB said:
wae said:

Don't shut it off? Diesels need to run constantly anyway right?

Oh, that just gives it more opportunities to fail in other amazing ways! Plus, I'm sure that replacing the air compressor is an even more involved process that requires removing half of the vehicle and needs 13 different special tools.

Follow-up rant:  Apparently the real fix for this was simply to order the part.  Ever since I placed the order, the strut has stayed up just fine.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/5/18 10:02 a.m.

I've lived in this house roughly 20 of the last 30 years. You'd think I'd understand it by now, yet I'm still surprised every morning. 

The upstairs bathroom has a window that faces out over the flat roof between the house and garage. Sitting on the toilet, you're pretty much staring at the outside garage wall. Yet somehow, despite there being nothing covering the flat roof, it always looks "decent"outside. What I mean is if it is actively raining or snowing, you can't tell by looking out that window. 

So wake up, go in the bathroom, look out the window and think "it's cold, but I can get something done" then head downstairs, look outside, and it's a white out or a rain storm. 

Gets me every single time. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/5/18 10:04 a.m.
Stefan said:
Nick Comstock said:
Nick Comstock said:

The struggle is real.

That said, if you’re berkeleying sick, don’t berkeleying go into the office.  This is exactly what sick days are for.  Use them.

Sincerely,

I hear ya. I didn't go in. Unfortunately I don't have sick time so I have to burn vacation days. With today, last week and one ice day earlier last month I've already eliminated the possibility of making back home to my mother's 80'th birthday. And our actual vacation is in jeopardy. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
2/5/18 10:23 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I teach machine shop in the engineering department of a small-ish university.

Great job, love working with the students, but I'm an early riser. They're not.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
2/5/18 10:26 a.m.

Someone is attempting to scam my Oma by impersonating me over the phone and asking for money.  They'd better pray to the higher power of their choice that she doesn't figure out their actual location- one of her favorite stories to tell is about the time she beat a guy half to death with a fencepost, and I don't think her temper has improved since then.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/5/18 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

You should give those numbers to their fraud department.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/5/18 10:50 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

You should give those numbers to their fraud department.

I had them ready when I called up the fraud department, but surprisingly they didn't seem to have any real interest in them...

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
2/5/18 11:55 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:
Stefan said:
Nick Comstock said:
Nick Comstock said:

The struggle is real.

Sincerely,

I hear ya. I didn't go in. Unfortunately I don't have sick time so I have to burn vacation days. With today, last week and one ice day earlier last month I've already eliminated the possibility of making back home to my mother's 80'th birthday. And our actual vacation is in jeopardy. 

Sorry man, that does suck.  Come work for the gubmint, I literally can't use all the time off I get.

I suppose that's my obligatory rant.....I'm too ingrained with the "go to work" ethic and don't take off when I have other things to do.  And feel guilty for not being at when work when I do take off.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
2/5/18 2:34 p.m.

Follow up rant.  It appears I may be driving round trip from Lexington to Pensacola this weekend to retrieve my increasingly infirm and neurotic step-mother for a belated holiday visit.  I'm feeling a bit whiney about the prospect of making the drive.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/5/18 2:36 p.m.

Well, I now am regretting taking the job that I did. Not for the reasons I expected though. I guess that part is good?

1 ... 743 744 745 746 747 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wwbXCc0n0ZzLfgOM8VG7wXj3HUWhPQrKXNJscWxkTozxwJi9lhRs0l4VRlK7KGsE