1 ... 745 746 747 748 749 ... 1929
FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA New Reader
2/7/18 12:56 p.m.

Not-so-minor rant: I am a good HOA member, my projects stay in storage, or in my garage out of sight.  My neighbor across the street has decided to park an inoperable rv camper trailer directly across from my driveway.  Now, I cannot swap cars with the trailer because the street is too narrow.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
2/7/18 1:53 p.m.

Why did American auto manufacturers never discover the glory that is banjo fittings?  Changing a power steering hose with Fords dimwit swivel design involves removing and replacing fans and shrouds and pulleys, where a banjo fitting would involve an extension and a socket and maybe five minutes.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
2/7/18 1:55 p.m.

These new GM truck motors are absolute trash. Have a 5.3L EcoTec3-powered '15 Silverado with 25K miles on the clock. Hard skip on #6. Got spark, got fuel. Only 30lbs of cranking compression on cylinder 6. Pull the valve cover and crank it and the #6 intake rocker arm never moves. So now I get to yank the head, throw AFM lifters, Variable Lifter Oil Manifold and likely a camshaft at it. Wish I could say this was a rare occurrence too

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA New Reader
2/7/18 1:55 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

They did use banjo fittings on brakes, but, the power steering hoses were designed to suck.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/18 1:57 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Why did American auto manufacturers never discover the glory that is banjo fittings?  Changing a power steering hose with Fords dimwit swivel design involves removing and replacing fans and shrouds and pulleys, where a banjo fitting would involve an extension and a socket and maybe five minutes.

Some of the Chrysler cars I've owned used Banjo fittings at the pump.  Though most of them were the stupid swivel style fittings that required holding your mouth right to get them threaded properly with the weight of the hose hanging off of the fitting.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/7/18 2:22 p.m.

In reply to FIYAPOWA :

Cut them a break, might have "Old Timers" and forgotten the proper name for the holiday indecision

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/7/18 3:20 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Have you tried telling her that you didn't mean to give the wrong impression but you are not looking for a relationship right now? Delaying this communication may just make it more awkard for both of you.

My rant: My boots are apparently not as water resistant as I originally thought, and now I have a bad case of wetsock.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/18 4:57 p.m.

My son broke his leg yesterday (fractured tib and fib) and the insurance company is insisting on a 72-hour "urgent care" referral before he see the ortho and get a cast. I'm about to nuke them from orbit...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/18 5:17 p.m.

just a PSA: Last night a very good friend of mine from HS died. 46 years old, leaving behind 2 young children. The cause was the same thing that killed his father at around the same age. A massive  widow-maker heart attack. If anything like this runs in your family, please get checked before it is too late.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/18 6:31 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

On the assembly line, the rack comes from its supplier with the female end of the quick connect(*) and the engine has the power steering pump and line attached and when the drivetrain meets the subframe, the line is rammed in with a click and it's done.

That's why.

The interesting thing is that it is a quick CONNECT.  Not a quick DISconnect.  There is no way to disconnect them.  And apparently, new racks from Ford come with the female fitting, which you must remove and throw away.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
2/7/18 6:36 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Streetwiseguy said:

On the assembly line, the rack comes from its supplier with the female end of the quick connect(*) and the engine has the power steering pump and line attached and when the drivetrain meets the subframe, the line is rammed in with a click and it's done.

That's why.

The interesting thing is that it is a quick CONNECT.  Not a quick DISconnect.  There is no way to disconnect them.  And apparently, new racks from Ford come with the female fitting, which you must remove and throw away.

Oh, I understand how it works.  The mid 00 4wd pickup trucks make me good money, and I completely understand the design philosophy that allows a group of mouth breathers to slam a car together.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/18 8:48 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Have you tried telling her that you didn't mean to give the wrong impression but you are not looking for a relationship right now? Delaying this communication may just make it more awkard for both of you.

I think my extended silence after that last creepy IM got the message across...at least to dial down the creepiness. We've been having some non-creepy conversation since. She's changed her profile pic to a work-related one.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
2/8/18 8:56 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I feel you, man. The types I seem to attract are never the type I'm attracted to. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/8/18 9:00 a.m.

This is getting old. Please, explain to me again how YOU not listening to ME and berkeleying everything up is MY fault. 

Pretty sure by the end of this week, this forum will be my only regular contact with the world outside my property, people just aren't worth it. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/8/18 9:08 a.m.
mad_machine said:

just a PSA: Last night a very good friend of mine from HS died. 46 years old, leaving behind 2 young children. The cause was the same thing that killed his father at around the same age. A massive  widow-maker heart attack. If anything like this runs in your family, please get checked before it is too late.

I'm sorry to hear this mad_machine. 

Stories like this, along with my family history, are what made me take a good hard look at what I put into my body. I wish I could say that I've been feeling better, but I haven't--but all my numbers are better.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/8/18 10:02 a.m.

Jimmy Buffet sucks.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/18 10:41 a.m.

Filled up the truck on the way home last night. It was cold, so the diesel was taking a long time to pump, and it was cold, so I went and sat in the truck till it finished. I would over occasionally to make sure it was still filling and didn't fake itself out. 

My fuel gauge said I was just under 1/4 tank, so I was expecting ~24-26 gallons. 

Well, one minute I look over an it's at 30 gallons. There's no way I was THAT low on fuel! Open the door to check it out, and it's overfilling and spewing diesel fuel. Probably dumped 4 gallons down the drain. Literally.

Not sure why it happened, maybe it was filling to slow to register the back pressure, maybe it was something to do with the cold, I don't know.  Can't really blame anyone but myself, I should have been watching it closer, but I'm still not happy about it. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/8/18 10:46 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Jimmy Buffet sucks.

Meh, Jimmy Buffet is meh.  Parrotheads suck.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/8/18 10:59 a.m.

My chainsaw needs sharpening due to finding embedded metal the hard way.

Javelin
2/8/18 11:32 a.m.
Javelin said:

My son broke his leg yesterday (fractured tib and fib) and the insurance company is insisting on a 72-hour "urgent care" referral before he see the ortho and get a cast. I'm about to nuke them from orbit...

He STILL does not have authorization to see the ortho! I've called the insurance company 3 times at about 2 hours each. The system auto-terminated his referal. He's 2 years old, it's been almost 48 hours since he BROKE HIS LEG and I can't get authorization for a berkelying cast. 

Stefan
2/8/18 12:00 p.m.
Javelin said:
Javelin said:

He STILL does not have authorization to see the ortho! I've called the insurance company 3 times at about 2 hours each. The system auto-terminated his referal. He's 2 years old, it's been almost 48 hours since he BROKE HIS LEG and I can't get authorization for a berkelying cast. 

So, just go see an ortho and deal with the insurance afterward.  Its BS, but do what is right for your child first, paper work can come later.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/8/18 12:05 p.m.
Stefan said:
Javelin said:
Javelin said:

So, just go see an ortho and deal with the insurance afterward.  Its BS, but do what is right for your child first, paper work can come later.

Yeah, Berkley the insurance company on this one- get done what needs to be done, the Ortho should back you up and help get everything taken care of. We ran into something similar when I snapped my Achilles- the insurance company didn't want to give the authorization for the CT that the Ortho had ordered to get a look inside my ankle to see the extent of the damage and exactly what would need to be done. After waiting for half a day of the insurance company stalling we said 'berk it' and had them do it so we could get on the schedule for the surgery, and they imaging company just sent the bill to the insurance- which they paid once they get all the info from the Ortho and their heads out of their collective asses.

Stefan
2/8/18 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I can probably ask my wife if she knows a good Ortho guy, she works with a lot of Surgeons at The Vancouver Clinic.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/18 12:45 p.m.

Fired two employees today. No call, no show, second offense. Plus a bunch of 10-20 minute late ins. 

It kind of pisses me off. My workload just doubled. 

Javelin
2/8/18 12:49 p.m.

I set up an ortho appointment anyway on cash just to get it done. We have TriCare, and they do not back pay *at all*. I finally got an approval after threatening the right Supervisor to do their berking job.

1 ... 745 746 747 748 749 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Avd2CPi2EzelD9W6A8mQNgN13vL6VU4ESZBvlkbqVmvvFG3ca5BUAke21bOnpPuM