1 ... 839 840 841 842 843 ... 1929
Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/22/18 1:36 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Naw- sadly the cabin itself is running enough behind (still haven't gotten the engineer's assessment of the footers back yet) that I should be done before then.

Honestly, with what I saw yesterday I wouldn't have much problem with taking it out as it is now though anyway. The pumps will be removed for transport anyway so it will be ~80lbs lighter for them to schlep up the hill to where it's going, so them being out isn't a problem and at least at first glance it was otherwise behaving properly. I would like to repaint the wood cabinet before moving it out- but at the same time, I halfway wonder if it wouldn't be smarter to save that until after it's been moved so the new paint doesn't get all messed up when they're manhandling it up a massive hill...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
8/22/18 4:16 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Based on the pics I've seen of your building site - yeah, wait to paint until it gets there, unless you want to hit parts that would be hard to paint once it is in place.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/23/18 12:49 p.m.

OMBG if you are going to have long involved emotionally-charged personal conversations via text message FOR THE LOVE OF BERKING BOB PLEASE TURN OFF THE SOUND EFFECTS FOR EVERY LETTER STROKE, INCOMING, AND OUTGOING TEXT.

Seriously, you pay me to be here, but I can't work effectively under these conditions.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
8/23/18 2:28 p.m.

Every time I get gung ho about starting a gym membership or any physical activity, I somehow find myself with a painful injury that prevents me from getting started for at least a few weeks. This time it is an old shoulder injury that I somehow aggravated yesterday. Can't hardly lift my right arm, can't carry anything, couldn't hardly sleep. One day I'll get in shape again. Starting in 4-6 weeks.

And dammit, I miss my car. Loaned it to my mother to go visit my sister for the last few weeks (sis just had a baby, beautiful healthy girl) and didn't trust her car for the drive. Well, I fixed her car up a bit (tune up, oil leak, new ball joint) and now I want my car back. Still a week out at least.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
8/23/18 2:33 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I've been pleasantly surprised the last few clickbaity things i've opened at least view on a single page you can scroll instead of a click through slideshow. Slideshows are the devil!

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/23/18 5:43 p.m.

Shingles suck

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
8/23/18 7:19 p.m.

I hate being a moron.  Compare the information printed on the repair order with the vehicle you are driving before you order parts.  Sometimes people sell their 90 Civic and buy a 2004 Civic, and transfer the license plate to the new car.

There is a pretty significant difference between the two cars, you simple son of a bitch. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/23/18 10:40 p.m.

"Man, that aluminum safari basket I installed on my Jeep sure looks sweet. Why does my sat radio not work now!?"

Wow, I'm an idiot. Good thing I installed the basket the night before a 4 hour road trip. Nothing like losing the signal every 10 seconds for 4 hours straight.

Now searching for an external antenna I can mount higher than the basket.

Hooray for self inflicted problems! indecision

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/24/18 7:41 p.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

Maybe you can step up the safety program for them?  

Boilers are serious business.  What are they thinking?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/18 7:54 p.m.

Tonight would be a good night to go to the fair but even if she was up to going my hours were changed for tomorrow and I have to get up at 2am.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/24/18 10:30 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to fasted58 :

Maybe you can step up the safety program for them?  

Boilers are serious business.  What are they thinking?

Reminders that a shark lawyer and a lawsuit is far more expensive than proper safety equipment might persuade them otherwise. I've seen what superheated boiling water does to my flesh. It is awful. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/24/18 10:52 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I been on the run all week, a freaky fast week, I'll get the safety answers next week from my boss or the union guy. This E36 M3 don't add up on any level though. This place reeks of money, no excuses.

edit: I'll give this job another week but I woke up this morning thinking I just oughta get the berkeley out now, I seen enough already.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/25/18 7:21 p.m.

Sonuvbeech.  Sheet.  Ate a pile of seafood and had a nice afternoon stroll through a quaint little town in tidewater Maryland.  Drove out to the state park at the end of the point to look at the Chesapeake Bay.  Deer everywhere; I'm being careful and looking way ahead on the trip back.

So one of the stupid things plows full-tilt into the side of the Volvo.  The quarter is scuffed and there is a 4" scratch down to bright metal.  It could have been a lot worse, but still, this is the first real damage to it.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/25/18 8:01 p.m.

Spent the afternoon pulling the rear brakes on the E92 after hell week on the new job.

All I asked indie shop for was to adjust the parking brake lever one click shorter during routine state inspection. No need to pull the new rotors I just installed 50 miles ago, index the rotor bolt hole to 2 o'clock position and adjust the berkeleying star wheel. No need to sand the parking brake shoes, they're berkeleying clean already... or don't you trust my work, or padding the bill?

Mighta helped if ya tighten the rear lug bolts too cause they were loose and about bounced the rear view mirror off of the windshield w/ in five miles from picking the car up, the rear brakes were smokin' hot so sanding the new EBC Red pads now hoping it didn't ruin the bed in. The interior still reeks of brakes. I had a minimum 1/4 turn on the lug bolts before they even took up contact, yet alone torqued. Fortunately no wheel damage.

Indie guy shop been dropping the ball lately but they are the best BMW friendly shop in the area. And they might wanna rotate directional tires in... uh, direction.

Next up: get the Sport Comp II's rebalanced, they weren't right 1500 miles ago when first installed but never went back. The regular tire guy was off that day and they screwed up the alignment too working off different model specs.

It's tough finding a good shop anymore.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/18 9:02 p.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

We only have one good shop in town. It's in my back yard. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/25/18 10:15 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

I hear ya.

But when I'm working all the time I farm it out to a shop. Guess that will have to change. 

Sad part is over the years I prolly walked from every shop in town over one reason or another and won't go back. indecision

wae
wae SuperDork
8/26/18 7:31 a.m.

Aaaaaand, the central air is suddenly not working this morning.  I bet this is going to be expensive.

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
8/26/18 4:45 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I hate being a moron.  Compare the information printed on the repair order with the vehicle you are driving before you order parts.  Sometimes people sell their 90 Civic and buy a 2004 Civic, and transfer the license plate to the new car.

There is a pretty significant difference between the two cars, you simple son of a bitch. 

Amateurs, you always go by the VIN. Or at least visually compare the car you're working on to the year/model info on the RO

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/26/18 8:17 p.m.

Dreading the second week on the new job... that sinking feeling in your gut.

My probation is 180 days but this is the week I put them under the microscope. After the first week I'm not impressed at all, it's 50/50 right now. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/26/18 9:18 p.m.
1kris06 said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Amateurs, you always go by the VIN. Or at least visually compare the car you're working on to the year/model info on the RO

Quite true.  Bought a Cali exhaust because I used the hood sticker for reference.  It had been in some front end collision at some point in its life.  Just needed to buy a federal mid pipe to be good.  In my defense I bought from RA and not a dealer who would have asked for the VIN.  blush

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
8/26/18 11:42 p.m.
1kris06 said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Sad thing is, you are correct on every point but one- I am not an amateur.  I got my journeymans papers in 1986, and have run my own shop for 32 years. Amateur, no.  Moron, yes.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/27/18 12:40 a.m.

If you are going to lay into me about the front door being blown open when I'm 35  miles away, you should make sure you didn't leave your house keys stuck in the tumbler of the back door.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/27/18 1:28 a.m.

I need to be up for work in 4 hours. 

I cant go back to sleep after moving wrong on the broken rib at 12:45

Today is going to be a motherberkeleyer. 

WilD
WilD Dork
8/27/18 8:30 a.m.

I attempted a steeper/longer climb than usual on my MTB yesterday.  Something happened in my back.  Standing and walking are very challenging today.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
8/27/18 9:44 a.m.

I have Mondayed today right up.

Drove almost all the way to work and had a moment where I was SURE I'd forgotten to close the gate behind myself (and the dog was running free in the neighborhood).  So I drove home to see the gate shut and all good.  Drove back to work and as I pulled into my parking spot at which point I realized I'd forgotten my keys and badge.  Drove home again to get them.  Drove to work again (late). 

I should have gone back to bed.

1 ... 839 840 841 842 843 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XPZKMdj1lVgUFfcSgfCvP3PW7qVPUPNueWPawMKD0uc0vMXQubEnIC1vZsPzRw8i