1 ... 841 842 843 844 845 ... 1926
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/29/18 8:58 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

I know this rant is a little tired.  But Target has Halloween stuff out already.  It even says October 31st.  We're still in August.  Clearly someone else felt the same way hopefully as they set aside the six pack of OctoberFest Sam Adams before they got to the self-checkout.  Maybe we need to make a bigger deal out of labor day like give it a specialty beer or something.  angry angel

I much prefer Halloween this time of year, because come next Tuesday the Christmas garbage will start. In fact, I think it's already started at my local Home Depot. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
8/29/18 9:07 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Stefan said:
Appleseed said:

That sounds like "I'm not touching this berkeleying thing" levels of bullE36 M3. 

Or you give them the "go the berkeley away price" and see if they'll take the hint.  If not, make it high enough to retire on :)

We raised our hourly rate to these levels for rod & custom stuff because rod & custom stuff simply does not pay.

Today I pulled the trans out of a 40s Ford that had an entire Lokar catalog swapped in.  I think we need to raise the rate some more.

Today's rant:  I am going to become ultrarich, and buy Lokar, and completely dissolve the company.  Do everything I can to screw over anyone and everyone who ever designed a product for them.  Then sit on the trademarks/patents and sue anybody who tries to fill the vacuum of horribly designed billet one-size-fits-none components.

This, I feel, will be a humanitarian gesture.

I have never owned a Lokar part, I have never installed one, and I doubt I've ever touched one, but your reaction, based on the pictures and ads I've seen, does not surprise me a bit. But then, I feel pretty strongly that almost every aftermarket thing on the planet is garbage.  Even stuff with a good rep- Talk to a machinist sometime about making a new set of Edelbrock heads correct.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/18 10:58 p.m.
stanger_missle said:
WilD said:

I attempted a steeper/longer climb than usual on my MTB yesterday.  Something happened in my back.  Standing and walking are very challenging today.

I pulled something in my lower back bending over to put my shoes on this morning sad

I am probably damning myself here.. but at age 47, almost 48, I work hard and I wake up with absolutely no aches or pains. My shoulder is screwed up, but it only bothers me if I annoy it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/30/18 10:30 a.m.

People who "pack" cigarettes. Most seem to do this for at least 15 minutes.

Fap-Fap-fap-fap- fap-fap. 

It's a lung dart, not magic. You sound like you're beating off.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/30/18 10:42 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I smoked in the 1980’s and sometimes would do this.   Packing smokes that is, well sort of maybe not the other thing, maybe.

I never saw any difference in my smoking or cigarettes.  

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/18 11:51 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I never understood this.  I used to smoke and when I was in my early 20s all the people around me who smoked did that. I asked why they did it, once, and was told that you have to do it or they won't stay lit.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/30/18 11:58 a.m.

It packs them tighter so in theory they'll burn longer. After 19 years of smoking is just habit now, 3 smacks before opening the pack. No, I really can't tell a difference between packing or not. 

Although, especially when nervous or bored and not allowed to smoke due to reasons, ill sit there and tap one cig on my lighter all day long. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
8/30/18 12:05 p.m.

Smoking is such a ritualistic thing, I bet it's almost entirely habit and ritual now.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/30/18 1:56 p.m.

30 minute meeting, hour and 20 minutes later we're done... 

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
8/30/18 1:58 p.m.

Fairly certain I work at Castle Lemongrab now.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/30/18 2:54 p.m.

Upper management ain't got a berkeleying clue what i actually do here. Because they don't WANT to.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/18 3:00 p.m.
JamesMcD said:
fidelity101 said:

This august has been nuts, every weekend (and some long weekends) I have been doing family activities and not done racecar stuff or seen my friends or called anyone for that matter. I Just finished the final holiday trip for 5 days with my girlfriend in Mexico because of a wedding for her good friend and also visit with her family, the next day I come back I work late then get beers with 2 of my friends afterwards. She accuses me of cheating on her and that I disappeared even though I mentioned at lunch (with her) that I was going to have drinks with guys after work. 

Now she is acting like a child and not speaking with me, and I live with her - we have been dating for almost 2.5 years I should note that she is 38 and has a PHD...

why are Mexican women so hot and crazy? she really believes I am cheating on her - which made me laugh and that did not go over well... 

Sounds like marriage material.

She's gonna make a great widow.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
8/30/18 4:40 p.m.
fidelity101 said:

This august has been nuts, every weekend (and some long weekends) I have been doing family activities and not done racecar stuff or seen my friends or called anyone for that matter. I Just finished the final holiday trip for 5 days with my girlfriend in Mexico because of a wedding for her good friend and also visit with her family, the next day I come back I work late then get beers with 2 of my friends afterwards. She accuses me of cheating on her and that I disappeared even though I mentioned at lunch (with her) that I was going to have drinks with guys after work. 

Now she is acting like a child and not speaking with me, and I live with her - we have been dating for almost 2.5 years I should note that she is 38 and has a PHD...

why are Mexican women so hot and crazy? she really believes I am cheating on her - which made me laugh and that did not go over well... 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/30/18 4:48 p.m.

I'm guilty of packing my smokes, but I only do it for 5 faps. If you're doin it right that's all it takes. Doing it right requires a good solid surface like an anvil or vice top, a concrete wall will work too.

The secret behind this practice is that the tobacco has air gaps that cause the cig to burn unevenly or drop embers. No one wants a loose ember. They are also way easier to light with the extra paper on the end.

Remember kids, smoking is bad, m'kay?

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
8/30/18 5:33 p.m.

I screwed the wiring harness in the new-to-me Miata.  Bad enough but I bit the bullet and ordered a replacement.  Only the place in Florida that makes their living parting out Miatai sent the wrong one.  And they don’t have the right one.  And my car is dead.  And i’m sad.

Anyone have a complete harness for an ‘06 Sport (no traction control)?

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/30/18 6:29 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I wonder if vapers have to pack their flutes? 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
8/30/18 8:33 p.m.

Worked 80 hours last week and yet I feel poorer without reward for time wasted on the job instead of my kids. This sucks. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/30/18 11:25 p.m.

New roll has glue about 6 layers deep.

Ripped off little pieces, big gobs, pieces of paper all over the place.

First world problem.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/31/18 8:05 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

What happened that screwed up the harness where you can't patch it and use the original one?

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
8/31/18 8:19 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

I hooked it up wrong and let the magic smoke out.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/31/18 8:20 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

Mr. Toyman, 

Would you be willing to stop by our factory and give us some door and hardware recommendations on life safety and ADA compliance for our long abandoned office building?

Meet up at 9am. 

Spend 4 hours walking around a office building that no one has a current set of plans for.

That has been renovated several times by the previous owner with no thought given to fire, life safety, ADA or any other compliance issue. I saw one 480v line run down a hall to a disconnect in PVC. surprise

My first question was about intended use. They don't know. It is currently being used as a warehouse, and occasional conference area, job fair, emergency preparedness location.  Pretty much a catch all limbo for the facility. 50,000+ sq-ft of limbo. It's a disaster. Holes in fire walls. Fire walls missing. Fire doors missing or replaced with unrated doors. 

I told them multiple times they needed to get a architectural/engineering firm to do an assessment on the building. There is no determination for egress paths. Occupancy ratings are unknown. Intended use is unknown. Just about every fire wall marked on their 1987 drawings has been compromised. 

I suggested chaining the doors shut and putting Danger, Do Not Enter signs up everywhere. As it stands now, it's a lawsuit looking for a place to happen.

Instead, they are going to generate a scope of work and send it to me to quote. It's going to take me as long to type up the disclaimer as it will for me to quote it. 

Sounds like fun. At the end did they say something along the lines pf ...." but we dont want to spend much money."?

Thats one thing that i love. Someone calls me for a project, i go meet them. Its insane, complex and sorta stupid. at the end they lean in like they are taking me into confidence and say....."but we dont want to spend much money" with a smile.

As if anyone has ever told me " Sky is the limit, spend as much as you want! In fact spend more! Sleep with my wife if you want too. Heres a pile of money good sir!" Everyone is on a budget and no one wants to spend more than they have to. The fact that you dont want to spend too much on your project isnt unique at all.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/31/18 8:51 a.m.

That sucks. :( I'd imagine though it's only damaged in a few places- worst case you just have to track down where the wires burned/melted and splice in new ones...

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
8/31/18 9:06 p.m.

I know you can buy British replacement smoke, is Japanese smoke available as well?

Assuming they're both metric, are they interchangeable?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/31/18 9:19 p.m.

I need some American smoke. Yesterday while driving at 60mph I see a cloud of fog rising up between my legs. Then I realize it's not fog. It was smoke. I had turned on my seat heater because my butt was tired after a couple hours driving. Turned off heater, opened the windows, and pulled off the road. No fire. Found a wire with some melted insulation under the seat. Got back in and drove home. Still need to troubleshoot this. No idea why a fuse didn't blow. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/1/18 9:25 a.m.

There is a strong chance I'm homeless by the end of the week. I rarely ask for help. Ever. So I procrastinated. I want to buy a house, but that is proving very difficult. We are so close.

Now all my options with staying with friends is striking out. I've got one more person who offered help. But I don't know for how long. I refuse to burn a good friendship over this. 

Last ditch is to buy a cot and sleep in the basement of the surveying office. Fiance hates the idea, but, but that's too bad. It's heated, air conditioned, and there is a bathroom. It will suck, no matter what.

If the job let's me go (and there is a nagging feeling that is just might) there goes my fall back. Nuclear option would be to pack my stuff and move to Montana with my brothers. I'd have a job, and a roof over my head, no questions asked. It would just be very hard for me and SWMBO.

What is about to happen is slowly becoming very real. I'm not worried, just disappointed.

Why does it have to be so hard?

1 ... 841 842 843 844 845 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iQNvzKBVZKZUWcTLGgPjdk4GswFJUEq4w9AAndxM8HH2fUPQHddX6LyGHEDOLPar