1 ... 842 843 844 845 846 ... 1926
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/18 12:26 p.m.

every couple of months we have "gay pride bingo" at work. The turnout is great, the people are wonderful, and the entertainment is over the top. irregardless of your orientation, it is a lot of fun. This time around, they only sold 300 tickets, a lot less than the last time. Come to find out they raised the price to attend and reduced the food to some easy snack stuff. 

I wonder if somebody higher up is trying to kill it by driving people away.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
9/1/18 8:59 p.m.

College football started, dammit.

That's always been the early warning sign to start gettin' yur E36 M3 finished before winter. 

Better hustle up now.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
9/1/18 9:10 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Might be sign to move to greener pastures, so to speak.

Seems like life's been squeezing your scrotum in your current location for a while.

Is the future Mrs Appleseed willing to relocate? You don't seem to be tied to your area, are your fields viable elsewhere? 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/2/18 8:03 a.m.

I just wasted 30 bucks with stupid mistakes.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
9/2/18 2:14 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Same here.

I lost the spring thingy on the E92 RR brake pad wear sensor when I pulled the pads to resurface 'em.

$28 for new sensor.

Found the spring thing under the car after I was done installing the new one. indecision

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/2/18 2:33 p.m.

Mine was two rolls of tinton the same window. Going against the grain, and no help on too big a piece.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/2/18 3:54 p.m.
SaltyDog said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Might be sign to move to greener pastures, so to speak.

Seems like life's been squeezing your scrotum in your current location for a while.

Is the future Mrs Appleseed willing to relocate? You don't seem to be tied to your area, are your fields viable elsewhere? 

Yes, and no. Her dad is having health issues, and he won't be around for very long. She wants to be near him, and I respect that. 

There is an operating engineer coming up soon, something that pays great, enough that the housing problem would disappear quickly. 

I just have to suck E36 M3 for 2-3 months. Reminding myself that I've delt with worse sustains me.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/18 8:49 a.m.

I'm buying the 5th most expensive gas in the goddamn world now, awesome...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/18 9:18 a.m.

I had to disassemble some confetti cannons the other day for their trip back to the rental house they came from. I do not know who put the barrels on these things, but they were obviously from the "tighter is better" school of thought. I managed to get them all knocked down, but I apparently bruised the tendon to the middle finger on my right hand doing so.

While I can still give the bird well enough, it is not at all comfortable to make a fist

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/3/18 9:35 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Feel better.  Just hold off flippin the bird for a while.  You may need the fist to back it up!

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
9/3/18 10:41 p.m.

I have an Isuzu Amigo that is in great shape except for the connecting rod sticking out the side of the engine.  I also have a good running engine out of a 1 year newer Rodeo that is identical except for the intake and electronics.  I have had all this stuff for almost 3 years now and can't seem to get time to do it myself.  I have tried twice to pay someone to do the swap and both places flaked out.  Today a new shop owner bid the job after looking over everything and his bid is about 1/3 of what I am willing to pay to have the work done. 

Rant is that I am twice bitten and not sure if I even want to take the chance,  even if it's cheap. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
9/4/18 8:16 a.m.

Craigslist's search blows.  I've had a S10 rear axle for sale for a bit, and gotten no nibbles.  I dropped the price today, but then also decided to do a quick search for the post.  Searching "S10" brings it up.  Searching "s10" does not.  I changed my title, so now it can be seen in both searches, but holy crap, a search that can't ignore capitalization?  In 2018?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/4/18 8:18 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Especially on CL, the land of illiterate morons.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
9/4/18 8:22 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to eastsideTim :

Especially on CL, the land of illiterate morons.

I now realize why I don't see some posts there in a search that I do when I just scroll through.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
9/4/18 8:36 a.m.

So my amateur wrenching has led to a problem.  The Passat transmission fluid can’t be added by an unwashed heathen of a shadetree mechanic and requires I have the AWD wagon towed to the shop and they will replace the fluid under surgical conditions.  That’ll only cost me another $250 to get the car drivable again.   Sigh.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/4/18 8:48 a.m.

Two hours into work and im ready to watch it all burn.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/4/18 8:56 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

So my amateur wrenching has led to a problem.  The Passat transmission fluid can’t be added by an unwashed heathen of a shadetree mechanic and requires I have the AWD wagon towed to the shop and they will replace the fluid under surgical conditions.  That’ll only cost me another $250 to get the car drivable again.   Sigh.

This is why I won't own another  modern VW. Trolls from the Black Forest that inhabit the service departments.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/4/18 9:23 a.m.

Got essentially zero done on any vehicles over the weekend, and only a portion of the shopping we needed to get done for the cabin (some was intentionally deferred to later this week when we'll have a coupon to save us several hundred dollars).

Things are STILL not moving forward with the cabin build as we're STILL waiting for the engineer to get his recommendations for structural modifications finished. We've been given verbal assurance that the mods are very minor, but the bank won't release any funds until they have details and assurance that the mods will be done. Furthermore, we learned over the weekend that things might be getting more interesting as a different developer (who we know, which is why we know about this) is trying to buy the rest of the un-sold lots in the area. This shouldn't directly impact us- it could help as he's a lot more responsive than the current developer- but it could also very negatively impact things depending on what he's planning on doing with the area. The Dancer is concerned that he will set up a climbing area on the rock face behind our lot and the adjacent lots and that it will mean a lot more traffic and less privacy and relaxation when at the cabin- though on the flip-side if it's popular it will mean a lot more traffic at our cabin and it being rented more frequently.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/4/18 9:43 a.m.

A/C in the office area is broken at work today.  It's 80* in here... 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/4/18 9:53 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

A/C in the office area is broken at work today.  It's 80* in here... 

You'll never hear me complain about cold weather, but it is freezing in my office today. Has to be around 65. Outside is 83 and about 80%  humidity. I am uncomfortable--too cold/dry inside, too hot/humid outside. 

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
9/4/18 10:10 a.m.

Aggravated an old injury last week, every day since then I've had to perform manual labor. Kinda hard to let my right arm rest and recover when I have to move a bunch of shelving at work and install a bunch of new siding on grandparents house to replace the old sunrotted stuff, and put an uncooperative 2yo in a car seat all the time. I shouldn't wake up in pain, I'm not that old.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/4/18 10:17 a.m.

Ouch. Just got the new cover for the cabin's hot tub ordered. The one that it came with was very clearly NOT going to be usable as the two halves were held together by about a full roll of duct tape and it weighed only slightly less than the hot tub itself. So, it definitely needed to be replaced.

The replacement cover (and, to be fair, a cover lift since with its corner speaker horns it cannot just be slid off the top of the hot tub) came to more than twice what it cost to buy the hot tub itself (and probably just slightly less than I've spent total on it so far.

The good news is that we're still THOUSANDS of dollars less than even the most basic of hot tubs if we'd bought a new one... but when combined with spending almost as much on the mattresses for the cabin yesterday, it's been an expensive 24 hours (and will be an even more expensive week once we get the furniture we plan to buy on Thursday).

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/4/18 1:35 p.m.

It should be legal to throat punch people who ask a question, don't like the answer, then rephrase the question a dozen different ways. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/4/18 1:44 p.m.
RevRico said:

It should be legal to throat punch people who ask a question, don't like the answer, then rephrase the question a dozen different ways. 

ooh ooh you should be a waiter.  frown Try this in an southern English commoner accent.  "well it's exactly like you described it but it's not what I was expecting..."

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/18 1:46 p.m.

Parents.  Why do they have to be such a PITA as they get older?

I've got my MIL and her mother here for 2 weeks visiting their newest grandbaby and lending a hand while my wife recovers from a c-section.  They are arguing and sniping at each other over dumbass stuff.  Lots of unresolved stuff from the past that just keeps getting drug up, except great-grandma is 82, doesn't speak English and has started showing signs of dementia.  My poor wife has to run interference and its just adding to the stress.

Meanwhile, my own Mother has apparently lost the plot and gotten irate over an innocent email chain thread about getting us diapers, etc. because she didn't want her email shared on "social media"  Mom, its a bloody evite, ignore it if you don't want anything to do with it, I can guarantee that you've got a ton of spam in your spam box and it has nothing to do with me.  I may have lost my cool and told her to act like an adult and deal with it herself.  Its been 2 weeks and an endless string of woe-is-me, why don't you respect me, yada, yada.  I finally told her that I'm done and I'm not going to communicate with her anymore, I just can't deal with the negativity while trying to manage a new baby, a 2 year old and a full time job.

1 ... 842 843 844 845 846 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ckbuk9KX2u9u1d6OYhApiVrIXZDOBP6IjmH9yDfLKlzuRGIqtER9FAi6Enh1O8BZ