1 ... 858 859 860 861 862 ... 1927
SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
10/12/18 8:50 p.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

Tuesday was 85, today it snowed. yeeah, illinois.

Still better than a hurricane, tho.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/18 9:28 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Watch the rubber lines closely when someone stands on the brakes (engine running for vacuum boost). Ive had them perceptably swell causing a squishy pedal

I appreciate the advice but i think that was for bigeyedfish instead lol

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish New Reader
10/12/18 9:40 p.m.
Antihero said:
Dusterbd13 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Watch the rubber lines closely when someone stands on the brakes (engine running for vacuum boost). Ive had them perceptably swell causing a squishy pedal

I appreciate the advice but i think that was for bigeyedfish instead lol

That had crossed my mind. I can get the pedal to firm up by pumping it, but I can always continue to push it to the floor. I'll check the rubber lines for sure, but I ordered a master cylinder this evening anyway. Got a a section of hard line that I should cut out and replace while I'm at it.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/18 11:27 a.m.

ARGH!  How do you dope-slap someone across time and space?

It has always annoyed me when people say they have a "stall converter".  (or better yet a "stahl converter")   All torque converters have a stall speed.  Saying you have a stall converter is like saying you have ratio rockers, or profile tires.

Just today, I was reading some engine build stuff and someone mentioned that they tested an engine with compression pistons.

What.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
10/13/18 2:00 p.m.

Dear every sound guy everywhere,

Subwoofers have absolutely no place in live sound at a rock show.  I didn't pay 50 bucks a ticket to get pounded by the bass drum all night.  I could barely hear the guitars and it was "My bloody Valentine " fer chrissakes. 

I realize these days you are used to doing sound for hip hop and electronic music and it might be necessary in those situations, but this is ridiculous. 

Seriously in the last 2 years and  out of 50 shows I have been to all but 3 have been ruined by the subwoofers.  A few acts that brought their own sound engineers turn them off or way down in the first song or two and save the day. Last night was terrible

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/18 8:12 p.m.

This time last week I was getting ready to go to sleep aboard my boat wearing nothing more than shorts and a teeshirt. Today I am in pants, sweatshirt, socks, the windows are closed, the heat is on, and I am cold. I really hate this!

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
10/13/18 10:22 p.m.

I have this super awesome new autocross habit in which I don't gain any berkeleying time in the afternoon heats. 

Four runs, picked up less than a 10th while everyone else picked  up a second or more.  

Today it cost me second place in the local championship.  

Why do I insist on hobbies that I'm berkeleying garbage at?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/13/18 11:12 p.m.

Can we start calling Type 1 Diabetes Type R Diabetes? It would make this berkeleying E36 M3ball disease a little more bareable.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
10/14/18 4:43 a.m.

The challenge is over and I have to go back to real life for a few days.

Knurled.
10/14/18 7:29 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

The challenge is over and I have to go back to real life for a few days.

Rallycross is comin'.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/14/18 8:13 a.m.

Fighting a cold. Wonderful. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/14/18 8:32 a.m.

Threw my back out on Friday, taking care of the kids. Few things bring you as low as a back injury. I was literally laying on the floor and called my mom for help with the kids. Ugh. Doing much much better today. Hope it’s all better for work tomorrow. 

wae
wae SuperDork
10/14/18 4:44 p.m.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to create one of those Dogbituary threads in the next couple days.  The old guy has gone really downhill really fast. sad

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
10/14/18 5:18 p.m.

In reply to wae :

sad

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/14/18 5:44 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Sorry to hear. Give him all the snuggles. 

Knurled.
10/14/18 6:00 p.m.
wae said:

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to create one of those Dogbituary threads in the next couple days.  The old guy has gone really downhill really fast. sad

My lil' guy was sick for a week and then he died one morning when I was at a rallycross.

The only rallycross I ever regretted going to.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/14/18 6:04 p.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls :

The sound at most shows is terrible.   I always try to get a spot in front of the mixing board, even if I can’t really see that well from there.  That’s usually the only spot it sounds even remotely good  

Almost every band I’ve ever heard in my entire life plays too loudly.  It doesn’t help, and usually hinders getting the  music across.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/14/18 8:08 p.m.

Between the terrible audio, and all of these "celebrities" pretending their political opinions are what I paid to see, tonight is my last concert. 

Edit 4 hours later. Ok, so the opening acts were horrible, just horrible. When I wrote the initial post I was listening to some distorted whiny voiced old guy singing a song about wanting the circus to go away. 

When Mike Ness and the boys finally took the  stage, everything changed. It sounded like the sound guy was actually there and doing his job. Couple songs, couple stories, repeat. I've seen Social D probably a dozen times now, and still get goosebumps when they start to play.

So many shows I've been to lately where things sound awesome during sound check, then they just turn everything up to 11 and all you hear is distortion and drums during the show. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/18 8:02 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

For shows where I know it's going to be LOUD (upcoming case in point: the second half of the TSO show) I bring earplugs. I have some nice ones that cut the volume WAY down but don't really interfere with being able to hear the music because it's so loud. It's nice leaving a concert without my head ringing...

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/18 8:04 a.m.

Got most of the way in to work this morning and realized that the Dancer had never given me back my parking pass for the garage at work... she had a show downtown while I was at the Challenge and borrowed the pass to be able to park for free and neither of us thought about it before we each left for work this morning. Hopefully she can take the time to swing into downtown at some point and drop it off so I don't have to pay for the day of parking in the garage I have a free parking pass for...

mad_machine
10/15/18 8:54 a.m.
RevRico said:

Between the terrible audio, and all of these "celebrities" pretending their political opinions are what I paid to see, tonight is my last concert. 

Edit 4 hours later. Ok, so the opening acts were horrible, just horrible. When I wrote the initial post I was listening to some distorted whiny voiced old guy singing a song about wanting the circus to go away. 

When Mike Ness and the boys finally took the  stage, everything changed. It sounded like the sound guy was actually there and doing his job. Couple songs, couple stories, repeat. I've seen Social D probably a dozen times now, and still get goosebumps when they start to play.

So many shows I've been to lately where things sound awesome during sound check, then they just turn everything up to 11 and all you hear is distortion and drums during the show. 

You might find that the main act has their own sound guy. The openers either have a shared one or use the venue guy. Not to put down the venue guys, most of them are pretty good, but when you have your own sound guy, they know the music, how it is supposed to sound, and usually know their own equipment very well.

Also remember, the main act does NOT want to get shown up by the openers. The opening acts are often hamstrung in some way as not to compete.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/15/18 9:23 a.m.

A night filled with zombie dreams.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
10/15/18 10:33 a.m.

The past 48 hours of feeling like I have to pee.  Took me a day to recognize the symptoms of a UTI, now waiting for the antibiotics to kick in and feel better.  This getting older business sucks.

mad_machine
10/15/18 10:44 a.m.

I recently used 160 hours of PTO to take a month long vacation to do some small boat sailing on the Chesapeake. Getting back to work is harder than I thought after that much fulfilling relaxation. All I can think about is next September when I go and do it again

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/18 10:52 a.m.
Appleseed said:

A night filled with zombie dreams.

Yeah, I hate dreaming about my ex-SWMBO too. Makes for a E36 M3ty Monday morning angry

1 ... 858 859 860 861 862 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nzdTYExhGfTaDob8PcYPZUp6NGoHsn9lrYmzLiFRYnit3cxn330bogiWjsyfg4fD