1 ... 860 861 862 863 864 ... 1928
Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/16/18 1:08 p.m.

Does anybody anywhere actually turn rotors or drums any more?  I mean, I know the service is still available, but does anybody actually pay money to get it done?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/16/18 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I trade beers to have my rotors cut by my buddy NissanTech, does that count?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/18 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

No. My time is worth more than the cost of new rotors and as a general rule, I just throw a set of pads on it and get them good and hot to bed them in. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/16/18 1:43 p.m.
Duke said:

Does anybody anywhere actually turn rotors or drums any more?  I mean, I know the service is still available, but does anybody actually pay money to get it done?

Yup my boss does, I quit doing it after having a flywheel resurfaced cost more then a replacement. I called anyway out of curiosity since there was a wait on drums either way. Local Napa machine shop usually has same day turn around.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
10/16/18 1:52 p.m.

Around here $15 per, usually in an hour/pair.

At O'Rielly's .

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/18 3:01 p.m.

Feeling awful enough to actually take cold medicine, I take half the recommended dose of Alka-Seltzer Plus, my previous go-to, and my heart is hammering and I feel worse than before.  I didn't realize that the "plus" included amphetamines or something...

Papabishop
Papabishop Reader
10/16/18 8:15 p.m.

Tired of the heat it’s finally cooled off. But by 30 degrees berkeley. I can handle cold, I can handle rain, but together berkeley work sucks. Also I was off this past 5 day weekend. Really wanted to attend the challenge for first time. Wife called me selfish for wanting to go to Florida by myself, and we fought and hated each other the whole weekend..

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/16/18 8:20 p.m.

My favorite neighbor just sold his house, now we wait and see if we get another new domestic dispute neighbor, harley riding jackass, or a nice peaceful old couple. In 6 years 3 houses have sold and none of them were replaced by nice old people like the last residents. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/16/18 8:30 p.m.

In reply to dropstep

There are no winners on E36 M3head bingo

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
10/16/18 11:04 p.m.

To follow up on my earlier post.  Ashykun (Bob) saw me whining about the car and stepped up to drag the POS Suzuki home after work today.  He brought over the blue tow dolly that had just made the trip to the challenge and I shoved the hateful econobox on it with the bumper of the Suburban.  Bob was about to take said dolly off to a sale when he offered it to me at a price I really couldn’t refuse.  So now I can move random crap around on my own without having to borrow trailers all the blessed time.

FSM willing I won’t need it now but with my luck it’ll get used weekly.

Thanks Bob, you’re the man!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/17/18 6:52 a.m.

I just now realized that I've been mentally mispronouncing Ashykun's name all these years as "Akshyun" ala action.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/18 12:11 p.m.

They salted the roads last night.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
10/17/18 2:32 p.m.
Knurled. said:

They salted the roads last night.

Welp, I’m not gong as far north as Cleveland for Krown treatment on the new car...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/18 3:26 p.m.

To the new board member looking to funnel some sweet web development money through your pet company: The ridiculous negging from you on the website I run is bordering on self-parodying now. Next you'll have to claim that the website is actually a BBS. I've seen your kind before, you're not the first party hanger-on to try to launder a kickback through an IT project here. These tactics inspire me to go out of my way to thwart you, which is the best thing I can do at this job, and I will enjoy every second of it. You're not fooling anyone here, not even the easy-to-fool people. It's really hard to keep dignifying this ridiculous charade to your face, but at least joining the IT and R&D departments in privately mocking it to various degrees helps me blow off some steam. Unfortunately I didn't get to meet with them today.

Changes of government are the worst part of this job...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/17/18 3:53 p.m.

Guess which two I haven't experienced in the last  18 months.  

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/17/18 4:47 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

If you are experiencing #8, hopefully you are also having #9!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/17/18 5:01 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Well if it helps you feel better, the only one that doesn't apply to me on a daily basis is number 10. 

Just so you know you're not alone man.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/17/18 5:18 p.m.

Selling on Facebook marketplace makes craigslist fun. Holy hell, we allow these people to breed and vote?!?!?!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/17/18 5:58 p.m.

4 and 7.  Relax, 8 lasted about 2 seconds a year and a half ago . Looking at the list made me think that maybe I am depressed.  I had those feelings long enough to think they were normal. I might even find the guts to get help.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/18 6:00 p.m.

I don’t know how accurate that list is, I have generally been at 8/10 for a while and I’m fine.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
10/17/18 6:42 p.m.

I thought it was because of old age.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/18 7:28 p.m.

Tinkered on the new to me 07 F250 today. I installed small LED flood lights for area illumination. While under the hood, I noticed orange residue around the coolant resevour cap. CRAP. Just a few days ago, I took the truck for a 60 mile round trip to monitor the health of the oil cooler. Everything was within the limits (under 15° delta between oil and coolant temp) and I installed a coolant filter to help keep it that way. I had to take the cap off to top off the coolant since I spilled some installing the filter. I'm really hoping I didn't get the cap snug enough since coolant coming out the overflow is either the cap is leaking or the head gaskets are pooched.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/18 11:42 a.m.

My FR-S is at the dealer today for inspection and emissions. First time it's been to a shop since I bought in in January, first time in over a year that any of my vehicles have been to a shop for anything, and first time in many years I've been to an actual dealership for service. And today I've been reminded why. 

It's at 60k now, so due for plugs and an oil change as well, and the way my next few weekends are stacking up I figured what the hell, let them handle that, especially since I'm not too keen on messing around with plugs on a boxer. Apparently the service department wasn't real keen on that either, since they first tried to tell me plugs weren't due until 120k. Huh, could have sworn the manual said 60k, but let me double check. Sure enough, I was right. 

So that irked me a bit, but then we get to talking price. Now, I figured it wouldn't be cheap, maybe $2-300 I'd guessed, and for that I was willing to not deal with the hassle. But this absolutely floored me - $25/ea for plugs, 3.5 hours labor, $575 berkeleying dollars! NOPE, for that price I'll do them myself, thank you very much, and I'll decline the brake and trans fluid flushes at $175/ea as well, please. I did bite the bullet on the $50 wiper blades it needed for inspection, though.

Can't really be mad at the dealer, I know they're in business to make money, but god damn! Guess my expectations were just that far out of line and I needed a reminder as to why I spend hours rolling around my garage floor even when it's not a job I enjoy doing.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/18/18 12:38 p.m.

Sonofaberkeley.....

I had my brand new hundred and $140 input bearing retainer for my Tremec turned down to the Mopar outside diameter. Then I had to replace the bellhousing. Now the bearing retainer is too small. Needs to be the original outside diameter.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/18/18 4:11 p.m.

Why does the postal service even offer package tracking if they don't update it or deliver on the delivery date. 

1 ... 860 861 862 863 864 ... 1928

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SzIp3wzJmUfgxtGtIRNcYJ7rB8KaMoFGQ2saAfrHs8NsbxBp6KJpjeQNgV08cWpt