1 ... 861 862 863 864 865 ... 1926
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/18/18 6:43 p.m.

Today was one of those days.  So I'm finishing it off with a special Don Q.  The last thing is good.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
10/18/18 6:47 p.m.

That annual ritual I hate

bring paint and chemicals in the house for the winter

shop closed frown

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/18 7:00 p.m.

Yea, 8 p.m. conference calls with Japan..

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/18 7:44 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Knurled. said:

They salted the roads last night.

Welp, I’m not gong as far north as Cleveland for Krown treatment on the new car...

I live across the street from a school, so my street always gets plowed and extra salt, even when there is no precipitation in sight and the nightly low is only expected to be about 35 degrees.  The rest of the city they only plow when the snow is so deep that you have to hike your dog up on your shoulders to walk it.

Supposed to be in the 60s this weekend.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/18 9:52 p.m.

TL;DR: I found myself more upset over my morning coffee than I was about being hit by a car yesterday.

In an attempt to secure some coffee this morning, I waited in line for 5 minutes at the drive through at Dunkin Donuts only to be told when I placed my order that they were out of large cups.
Out. Of. Large. Cups. 
They offered me a different size, but the cost/benefit ration gets skewed with smaller sizes. (on purpose, small and medium drinks are designed to make the large size a better value, google it) Plus, this is OBVIOUSLY the most popular size. Order enough cups, alright?

So, I elected to try to leave. Only I couldn't. A huge truck with a trailer had blocked the exit to Dunkin/entrance to Bojangles (traffic flow is weird) trying to make a left out of the parking lot during morning rush hour. This is impossible. The stop light just south of that area blocks traffic up to the next red light and beyond. Plus, the people trying to turn right off of the road were blocked by this massive truck/trailer combo. Traffic was backing up further as people tried to go around them. I guess the people were unwilling to turn right at the light. I have no idea. The people trying to get out of the lot and onto the main road were blocked. It was a mess.

I eventually got out by cutting through the supermarket lot, but that involved going against the intended flow of traffic behind Dunkin.

This presented me with a choice: Go to the Dunkin a couple of blocks out of the way, but close to the office, or get some coffee at the office cafeteria. They have Starbucks there. It's alright, and I figure despite their colossal incompetence, they can't screw up coffee, right? I mean, they can screw up cheeseburgers and scrambled eggs (facts) but pre- measured, packaged coffee made in a brewer designed for those packages can't go sideways, right?

Wrong. I was berkeleying wrong. It can.

I started making my coffee and went to add some half-and-half to it (the fat is a measured part of my diet, yes, really) and they had none. I asked about it and they said they were out. So, I moved on to whole milk. Nope. All gone. They had skim milk, though.

Skim milk is water lying about being milk.

So I drank my coffee black.

This aggravated me more than being hit by a car yesterday. Yes, really. Somebody backed out of a space as I was walking behind them. A combination of one burned out reverse light and the perfect sun angle meant that I didn't realize they were about to back up. And I walk fast. So, they managed to bump my leg as I was walking behind them. I wasn't knocked down or hurt, it was a very low speed bump because they apparently decided to look behind them right as they started moving. We had a chat, I told them about their light and lack of focus and we moved on with our day.

But today? Two coffee botches? Yeah, nah. That gets under my skin. I should've just brewed some at home.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/18/18 9:55 p.m.

I'm not messing with Brett Murphy. That mofo is hard core. laugh

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/18 5:55 a.m.

Massive round of layoffs coming today apparently, let's see if I make it through another one.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/19/18 6:09 a.m.

Its friday. Fridays are the roughest day in my career 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/18 9:55 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Monday for me :(

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish New Reader
10/19/18 10:30 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

So I drank my coffee black.

As God intended.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/19/18 11:07 a.m.

I'm having trouble with the idea that changing the plugs on a full-size pickup should be as hard as that. My forearms are shredded and I've got silly bruises from trying to use the core support as a chaise lounge. And this is a '97, admittedly with the 460, but jeez...

I feel like I've heard later trucks are even worse (like you have to lift the cab for some not-quite-routine maintenance?), but for now I'm telling myself that it's fallout from jamming new stuff into a bay originally designed in the '60s with no particular concern for serviceability. The intake ductwork is just silly looking.

"Over there? You put the air cleaner over there?"

"It'll be fine, just run a duct over there."

"We don't have a duct big enough for the 460."

"Run two, then."

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
10/19/18 11:22 a.m.

Co-worker: Hey, can you find the answer to the question I could easily answer myself, but won't?

Me: Sure.

*locates and delivers the absolutely correct information*

C: No, that's not right.  It doesn't match what I thought.

M: *laser death stares*

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/18 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Ransom :

IIRC, the rear plugs on the passenger side are a lot of fun. As long as your arm is hinged in 4 places and and you have eyes in at least one fingertip. 

Honestly, the plugs in my 5.4 powered E150 were easier. 

Edit: I also remember that if you insulated those two intake ducts, it's worth a couple of HP and they are apparently more efficient than the aftermarket single ducts that were available. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/18 11:33 a.m.

Nothing like waking up to lower back pain.  Its awesome.

Sigh, I really, really need to get a workout routine started again.  Except now that my back is hurting, I can't or I'll make it worse.

Meanwhile I have to help take care of our 2-month old and 2-year old, plus work a full day.

I'm going to be a cranky old man all day and into the weekend.

Getting old sucks.  I miss my younger self.  I miss not being stressed, tired, depressed and fat.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/19/18 12:28 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

I sympathize. I’m not fat but everything else applies. I need to get a workout routine going again or my back is going to keep getting worse but I can’t work out because I’ll hurt my back again. Patience I guess. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/19/18 1:06 p.m.
mad_machine said:
Dusterbd13 said:

Every day for me. When I think it can't get any worse , it proves wrong.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/18 1:08 p.m.
Appleseed said:
mad_machine said:
Dusterbd13 said:

Every day for me. When I think it can't get any worse , it proves wrong.

I am always one phone call away from a really crappy day, or night. Depends on when it rings. Yesterday wasn't so bad. Today? Who knows. It's probably why I hate my phone so much. Every time it rings I cringe. 

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
10/19/18 2:05 p.m.

MIL is coming to help out while baby #2 arrives.

She told my wife she's "not willing to take a cab" from the airport to our house. Well, I'm not willing to skip bedtime with our 2 year old to come get you either, so I guess we're at an impasse. Maybe you should have flown into a closer airport.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/19/18 2:23 p.m.

Lady at work in the cubicle diagonal from me (with no walls between us, we share a "pod" of 4 cubes) has teh worlds loudest ringer on her [landline] phone. Every time I hear it I jump. I hate it.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
10/19/18 2:37 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Massive round of layoffs coming today apparently, let's see if I make it through another one.

Did you make it? 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
10/19/18 2:40 p.m.

PA in there great wisdom of high taxes and running people out of business are working, recently craft breweries are popping up. I get it that they government wants to grab money anyway they can, but when Bud, Miller, and Coors are behind it angry

the non-profit Pennsylvania Beer Alliance, which represents beer companies like Budweiser, Miller and Coors and their wholesalers, could have also played a part in the provision being cut.

We first told you about the tax addition on Tuesday. In the spring, the state’s Department of Revenue announced they would add a six-percent sales tax to craft breweries on a per-pint basis. Which is different from how standard bars and restaurants are taxed.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
10/19/18 2:42 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Assuming she won't turn it down if asked, go in early/stay a bit late and turn it down a little at a time?

Maybe she won't notice. Or just cut the cord. devil

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/18 3:14 p.m.
cmcgregor said:

She told my wife she's "not willing to take a cab" from the airport to our house. Well, I'm not willing to skip bedtime with our 2 year old to come get you either, so I guess we're at an impasse. Maybe you should have flown into a closer airport.

Yeah, she sounds like she is going to be a BIG help.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
10/19/18 3:26 p.m.
Stefan said:
cmcgregor said:

Yeah, she sounds like she is going to be a BIG help.

I just need her to keep the toddler alive while we actually have the baby. That's my mantra. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/18 3:41 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Update: No pink slips were handed out today but apparently a high-ranking government official will be here on Tuesday, which might be good news?

1 ... 861 862 863 864 865 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mpGuTRGID87bIvXua6jSgWmXbUKa0i8vYMQG361LTadPINPxpqNlr6LKf5EWZDjH