1 ... 891 892 893 894 895 ... 1928
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/14/18 5:03 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

The awful things I would want to do to that JEEP. The 4 flat tires that I'd start with will seem cheap by the time I'm done. 

Very few things on the road infuriate me more.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/18 6:50 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Hot headed me of a couple years ago would have crawled under, put it in neutral and let it go. (I did it at our apartment when we were first married).  I’ve since come to realize I’m far too pretty for jail.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/14/18 7:04 p.m.

I suppose we've mellowed in our old age.

And become far more inventively treacherous.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/18 7:38 p.m.

In reply to Wally :have them towed.  The place that owns the parking lot can do it and would likely love to.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
12/14/18 7:50 p.m.

Why in Alabama when they see your license plate (Tx.), everyone feels compelled to put a pinch pass on yur ARSE!!! 

just wonderin'...... indecision

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/18 8:05 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

One of the delivery kids pulled up while we were getting up the curb and chased her out of the restaurant. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/18 12:02 a.m.

In reply to Wally :

That is a proper outcome, if not as viscerally satisfying as a push out of the way (my gut reaction as well)

Rant:  Woke up at 1am (being now-ish), check my usual Tuesday morning websites, nothing is updating.  Huh.

Today is not Tuesday.  Today is Saturday.  Okay, world, I'll take a weekend, I GUESS.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/15/18 12:33 a.m.

I keep catching myself midsentance saying things like, "Me and the Old Man are gonna," or "I'll tell Dad that the next time..." 

He's gone and there are no next times.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/15/18 12:42 a.m.

I like the night now more than ever.

No one can see the tears.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
12/15/18 12:44 a.m.

that sucks man.  I've been self-estranged for some time and reached out to my sis' asking how his major medical issue has progressed just this past week whilst sending my first Christmas card in well over a decade.  I might never reconnect.  But the older I get I know I'm his son despite all. indecision

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/15/18 1:00 a.m.
nutherjrfan said:

that sucks man.  I've been self-estranged for some time and reached out to my sis' asking how his major medical issue has progressed just this past week whilst sending my first Christmas card in well over a decade.  I might never reconnect.  But the older I get I know I'm his son despite all. indecision

Maybe go to their door. And tell them you love them. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
12/15/18 1:04 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

an ocean away.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/15/18 1:06 a.m.

Appleseed, I’m so sorry to hear that. 

Not that it makes it easier, but you’re not alone with that feeling. My grandpa told me when he bought his last car in 2012 that he still felt like he needed to call his dad to tell him about it. That was 50 years after his passing. Someday you’ll not feel sad anymore thinking about him, but happy that he instilled whatever it is in you that makes you miss him. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
12/15/18 3:01 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I keep catching myself midsentance saying things like, "Me and the Old Man are gonna," or "I'll tell Dad that the next time..." 

It's been 6 years and I still do the same thing. It's been a rough holiday season this year too. 

I won't lie and say it gets all better, but it does get easier to know what is going to trigger it and the tough times do come less often. Every once in a while, though, bam right in the feels. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
12/15/18 6:08 a.m.
oldopelguy said:
Appleseed said:

It's been 6 years and I still do the same thing. It's been a rough holiday season this year too. 

I won't lie and say it gets all better, but it does get easier to know what is going to trigger it and the tough times do come less often. Every once in a while, though, bam right in the feels. 

7 years for me, and it’s the same way.  Still thankful for the memories I have, but it hurts that there won’t be any more.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/15/18 8:12 a.m.

Thanks guys.

Nuther, I can't tell you what to do with your dad. But,If I was, reach out to him. Maybe you've changed. Maybe he's changed. Maybe whatever rift came between you has disappeared. Maybe when you reach out he's still a jerk, Maybe he's worse. But maybe you two patch things up. Regardless, you'll know.  The what-ifs are what get you. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/15/18 6:33 p.m.

So we are old and technology has passed us by.

When we got married, a wedding present was a 6 disk CD changer as part of a home audio system.  And we have quite a few CD- more than 100 at least.

23 years later that CD player has failed. 

So we go to Best Buy expecting to see a number of multi-disk CD changers, better than the one we got oh so long ago.  Turns out that most manufacturers don't make them anymore.  Especially Sony (which is our base system).  Or they are ~$500.  There is pne that we may end up getting, but not being on sale, we are just going to wait.

Interestingly enough, in my lifetime, this would be the 3rd system that has gone defunct- 8 Track, Cassette, and now CDs- when CD's have had the longest time in the market by a pretty wide margin.  Ironically, the oldest form of audio recording and playback is making a comeback....  Go figure.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/15/18 6:39 p.m.
alfadriver said:

When we got married, a wedding present was a 6 disk CD changer as part of a home audio system.  And we have quite a few CD- more than 100 at least.

So we go to Best Buy expecting to see a number of multi-disk CD changers, better than the one we got oh so long ago.  Turns out that most manufacturers don't make them anymore.  Especially Sony (which is our base system).  Or they are ~$500.  There is pne that we may end up getting, but not being on sale, we are just going to wait.

Interestingly enough, in my lifetime, this would be the 3rd system that has gone defunct- 8 Track, Cassette, and now CDs- when CD's have had the longest time in the market by a pretty wide margin.  Ironically, the oldest form of audio recording and playback is making a comeback....  Go figure.

Wax cylinders are making a comeback?!?!

chandler
chandler PowerDork
12/16/18 6:54 a.m.
Antihero said:
alfadriver said:

Wax cylinders are making a comeback?!?!

What? You haven’t already bought some? 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/18 7:27 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I'm shocked that you had a Sony CD player last 23 years.  I never had one last longer than six months.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/16/18 2:17 p.m.

There are so many good used CD players out there. Check on Craigslist, Nextdoor, or eBay. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/16/18 2:53 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I've got a Sony 300 disc sitting on a shelf collecting dust. I lost the remote some years ago, but it still works and I bet a universal remote would make it work again. Even has a PS/2 port to hookup a keyboard to label everything. If you want it, it's yours for shipping, just shoot me an email. Esseeno (at) gmail (dot) com

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/16/18 6:45 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Thanks, but we'll get one here.  :)  

It's just funny how we've managed to let technology pass us by.  Not sure how that happened- I didn't even notice.  Even though the last few albums I've been downloading.  How could I have missed that. LOL

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/18 6:48 p.m.

At work we have multiple computer stations that any employee can use. Mostly they are set in the cafeteria and break rooms and are used for non-desk bounce employees to access email, schedules and like. You can also websurf on them during your break, but they ask you do not do that when people are waiting.

I have seen people on Amazon, ebay, ESPN watching highlight reels, and even facebook. I wanted to check out the Merriam Theatre's "the grinch" and found the one thing that is blocked.. "cultural websites"

Basically, I spend all the money I want, stream all the football I want, but I can't check out anything related to culture?

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
12/16/18 6:58 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

1 ... 891 892 893 894 895 ... 1928

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0oiQ7FcZFOMKg92pjRsfOnE5jA4zI3alVcUvzCvLr0EZRNONLeTHl15o0op5hdSN