1 ... 974 975 976 977 978 ... 1926
Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 6:55 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Daylan C said:

In reply to Knurled. :

The Chevette *was* rad in Europe. We didn't get any of the cool chevette antics though.

No.  No way, no how.  They were a horrifying crap box here, and one with more horsepower would have been even worse.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
5/23/19 8:03 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Daylan C said:

In reply to Knurled. :

The Chevette *was* rad in Europe. We didn't get any of the cool chevette antics though.

No.  No way, no how.  They were a horrifying crap box here, and one with more horsepower would have been even worse.

My dad sold Chevy back then. He was convinced that the Chevette would be the next Beetle for kit builders, etc. 

Knurled.
5/23/19 8:09 p.m.
Greg Smith said:
Streetwiseguy said:
Daylan C said:

In reply to Knurled. :

My dad sold Chevy back then. He was convinced that the Chevette would be the next Beetle for kit builders, etc. 

I have only worked on two kit cars.  A Factory Five, and a Cheetah, which was based around Chevette running gear.

MrSmokey
MrSmokey Reader
5/24/19 9:15 a.m.

Gotta love working on 90s vehicles when it seems that auto manufacturers couldn’t decide whether to use sae or metric 

wae
wae SuperDork
5/24/19 9:23 a.m.

In reply to MrSmokey :

I am getting ready to walk out the door to enter that same situation.  '93 Chevy P30 motorhome chassis.  The good news is that eventually you start to notice that things are grouped together, as it was pointed out to me here previously, so you can predict a bit.  The worst part is with the age and rust and stuff, you always wonder if your tool is from the wrong unit-of-measure or if the bolt is corroded or damaged....

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/24/19 9:29 a.m.

All day meeting 2 hours from home, on a holiday weekend, and the air conditioning in the building just broke.  Oh, and the meeting is supposed to last until 5.

Yay.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/24/19 9:47 a.m.

Eat better, exorcise more, learn to deal with stress better, blah blah blah. Just give me a pill so I can take one big dump a day and not 8 little ones. I've got important stuff to do and running for the John every hour or so is not helping. Hell, give me a tapeworm and the antidote, they take 3 weeks to reproduce, I'll just flush it out in 2. (Don't steal my idea either, I think selling tape worms with the medicine to cure them as a non fda approved dietary supplement would be worth a mint)

MrSmokey
MrSmokey Reader
5/24/19 9:52 a.m.
RevRico said:

Eat better, exorcise more, learn to deal with stress better, blah blah blah. Just give me a pill so I can take one big dump a day and not 8 little ones. I've got important stuff to do and running for the John every hour or so is not helping. Hell, give me a tapeworm and the antidote, they take 3 weeks to reproduce, I'll just flush it out in 2. (Don't steal my idea either, I think selling tape worms with the medicine to cure them as a non fda approved dietary supplement would be worth a mint)

Dude you need to drink prune juice... lots of it

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
5/24/19 9:55 a.m.
RevRico said:

Eat better, exorcise more,

Maybe it's the demons you need to deal with.

You're not the first to think of tapeworms, but I don't know anyone who's done it. 

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
5/24/19 10:35 a.m.
llysgennad said:
RevRico said:

Eat better, exorcise more,

Maybe it's the demons you need to deal with.

You're not the first to think of tapeworms, but I don't know anyone who's done it. 

My wife used to say she "just wanted a tape worm" to lose weight and wonder out loud where she could get one.  I told her to go lick some barn cat butts and get back to me with her results.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/24/19 1:35 p.m.

It appears that my motorcycle tires are lost in the UPS system. This means that they won't get here before my first mini moto track day. I still have a friends bike to share, but I'm not happy. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/24/19 2:20 p.m.
wae said:

In reply to MrSmokey :

I am getting ready to walk out the door to enter that same situation.  '93 Chevy P30 motorhome chassis.  The good news is that eventually you start to notice that things are grouped together, as it was pointed out to me here previously, so you can predict a bit.  The worst part is with the age and rust and stuff, you always wonder if your tool is from the wrong unit-of-measure or if the bolt is corroded or damaged....

Motorhomes are a crapshoot, because of the body being built out of the GM factory, but the baseline for metric/sae is this:. If it screws into the engine, it's sae.  If it screws into an accessory, it's metric.  This explains why you need a 9/16 and a 13 to adjust the alternator belt.

Knurled.
5/24/19 2:35 p.m.
MrSmokey said:

Gotta love working on 90s vehicles when it seems that auto manufacturers couldn’t decide whether to use sae or metric 

Oh, that is easy.  If the design was from before 1981, it is SAE.  If it is from after 1981, it is metric.  At least  it is for GM, Ford and Chrysler are similar.

So that 5700 Vortec in a 2000 Savanna is covered with SAE because it's an old design, but the A/C comprrssor is held on with metric fasteners because it's new.  All engines designed in the 1980s (starting with the 60 degree V6) are metric only.

The idea was that you would never have, say, a power steering pump or cylinder head that had SAE threads, and an otherwise identical one that was metric.  That makes the parts situation a hell of a lot simpler.  I understand Volvo did an across the board switchover, but their product lineup was also a hell of a lot simpler.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/24/19 5:39 p.m.

Bought a new to me 2012 mazda6 monday. Nice car. Needed tires and some minor cosmetic stuff. No biggie. 

Bought from a "dealer", which was a nice Hispanic coupke that flips cars from home. Inspection done within the last two weeks. 

Today, i got pulled by tge state trooper for no brake lights. How the berkeley did it pass inspection with no brake lights? 

I bought this specifically so i didn't HAVE to work on it. 

Hopefully its just all the bulbs burnt out, not a bcm or something major.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
5/24/19 7:37 p.m.

This happens fast and since my Garmin has an perspective to the lens I will post a normal neighborhood, not a freeway.

This is a normal road, kinda narrow but not bad.

This is the road it happened on, my tires ride on both lines. I was lucky nobody was beside me, I was using the turn lane as a buffer. Oh and this is a legal road for me to be on.

On the video watch these people, a police car, a white blazer and a black truck....

I am proud I didn't let loose a string of, well, colorful language. Berklying E36 brained idiot. No, really, I'm not upset. I was really lucky there wasn't a car next to me. The old guy was scared to get next to me and was back a ways.

Near miss in Rogers AR

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/24/19 8:26 p.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve :

I knew what was going to happen,  and I still went HNNNNGGH!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/24/19 8:38 p.m.
Knurled. said:
MrSmokey said:

I understand Volvo did an across the board switchover, but their product lineup was also a hell of a lot simpler.

Almost.  A '73 B20 is totally sae, a '74 B20 has metric sized internals with SAE bolts, and the '75 B20 is metric in and out.  Things take time, you know.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/19 10:56 a.m.

After all the car crash videos I have watched on Youtube, it finally happened to me, I got brake checked.

Coming out of Atlantic City yesterday in the Abarth, I am in the middle lane of the three lanes out. I am gaining on a car with NY plaes on my right with nobody ahead of him or myself. I get within a couple of car lengths and he quickly swerves into my lane and gets on the brakes hard. knowing there was nobody next to me or behind, I simply entered the lane he had vacated and accelerated past. If I had been driving the Disco, things could have been a lot worse. It may be a decent handling SUV, but it does not have the lightning quick reflexes of the Italian.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
5/25/19 12:26 p.m.

Its a waste of a perfectly good holiday weekend if you don't spend a good chunk of it in a hospital.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
5/25/19 2:06 p.m.

Kudzu, berkeley you. 

Whomevers bright idea that E36 M3 was a good idea should die a thousand deaths wrapped up in that E36 M3.

berkeley you Army Corp of Engineers for refusing to dredge the creek the brought the flooding that brought in the kudzu many years ago. Now, I have to deal with the consequences attempting to remove/demo an old building on the property.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/25/19 3:40 p.m.

Fricking 2-cycle engines.  Buy a little baby rototiller - you only have a 10’x10’ garden to turn over.   How back could it be.  It ran for 45 minutes 2 weeks ago and is now hard to start and keep running.  

Its only one year old with fresh gas/oil.  

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/19 3:53 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Heat up the spark plug with a blowtorch before trying to start it again. Worked for me with a couple of MZs (Eastern Block 2-stroke motorcycles).

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/25/19 5:49 p.m.

Not really a rant, just a couple observations about people out in public.

1.  To the guy standing at the intersection, holding up a cardboard sign asking for money:  It's probably not a good idea to be playing with your smartphone at the same time.

2.  Older women walking around the grocery store wearing sweatshirts that say "Sexy Grandma" on the front, usually aren't.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/25/19 6:02 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Not really a rant, just a couple observations about people out in public.

1.  To the guy standing at the intersection, holding up a cardboard sign asking for money:  It's probably not a good idea to be playing with your smartphone at the same time.

Or show up at “your” intersection in a cab. Yes, I’ve seen that. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/25/19 7:14 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Reminded me of something I saw the other day...

1 ... 974 975 976 977 978 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7V9EVg42mwSRAwTzHyLsBVZncR1DqhuGA8odkGuMJEoqBhYUlrKnpn0OssxNJDsm