1 ... 987 988 989 990 991 ... 1927
Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/13/19 7:07 p.m.

The pollen needs to go away now. As a stopgap, three months after the move, if I could find my shades I could wear those and contacts when I ride and be about half as reactive...

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/13/19 7:52 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Ok that is pretty epically terrible. I can’t imagine using a 4gb computer in 2019. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/13/19 8:12 p.m.

So, at previous count, the fired builder was supposed to be dropping off the doors and windows at the cabin tomorrow since he would not get back until too late today. Since the Dancer has been very worried about the idea of my being out alone there with him and potentially some of his workers, we've been trying all day to work out getting someone to come along and to help carry things up the stairs (to no avail). To give you an idea how much this worried her, she actually asked me if I had a gun I could take along to have at least some protection... and she does NOT like guns.

I've also been trying to get a time to be out there from the builder all day- also to no avail. So, I try one last time before it gets too late, and get the response, "We just got the doors an windows in the cabin"

Nothing has ever been easy with this guy....

On the bright side- I shouldn't need to worry about backup for tomorrow. On the other hand, I have to cross my fingers that everything is there and not damaged vs. being able to inspect it...

Hopefully now all the remains (HAHAHAHAHAHA) is getting the invoices and accounting info to figure out how much he owes us back from the loan disbersement...

Ashyukun (Robert)
6/13/19 8:15 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Well, to put it into perspective my iMac that is build to edit HD video footage only has 16GB of RAM and hums along just fine- but it also came with a faster HDD from the get-go and has an added SSD to use for footage storage for quicker access. I think the Mini is likely using the slow-ass HDD for swap space and just bogging down, where the SSD should be almost as good as memory...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/19 9:43 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Ok that is pretty epically terrible. I can’t imagine using a 4gb computer in 2019. 

It's doable with a relatively lightweight OS and an SSD. The laptop I'm posting this from only has 4GB, I hope to replace it next year when it hits the big 1-0.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/14/19 10:03 a.m.

Work had to upgrade my phone. In the process they lost all my contacts. All my addresses. All my emails. Made it to where I couldn't connect emails to the server. Three and a half years of information is now gone. I'm absolutely berkeleying livid. Think I'm calling it quits for the day.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/14/19 11:28 a.m.

If I had even an inkling of desire for a 4th-gen F-body anymore (unlikely) this window regulator just took it out back and shot it in the head.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/19 7:18 p.m.

Why must hospitals take FOREVER to discharge??? 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/19 9:17 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Work had to upgrade my phone. In the process they lost all my contacts. All my addresses. All my emails. Made it to where I couldn't connect emails to the server. Three and a half years of information is now gone. I'm absolutely berkeleying livid. Think I'm calling it quits for the day.

that it is in my future. I am supposed to turn my work phone in sunday and get a new one monday. I am certain they are going to mess everything up

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/16/19 2:48 p.m.

I was never so excited to see Planters Cheese Balls re-released.

Not the same. Not even close. The originals were smooth on the outside. This crap is like a cheese grater for the roof of your mouth. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
6/16/19 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I actually still really like the new ones- they're better than any of the knock-off store brands I've found. But you are right about the texture.

Along the same lines, bought a box of Honey Smacks for the first time in a LONG time, and they're now All New! with no HFCS or artificial colors. Granted- they still are tasty, but the 'real' ones had almost a hard sugar shell over them and had a satisfying 'crunch' when you chewed them. The new ones are lacking that, and get soggy REALLY quickly in milk. Not a fan (but they are still good to munch on straight out of the box).

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/19 5:58 p.m.

I was driving next to a modified FOST today. It looked good, a little lower than I would have gone, but nothing over the top. I could never live with an atmospheric Blow off valve though. Everytime he shifted or lifted, I could hear it "phhst". I think that would get old really quick.

I also saw a new one today. We all know of the diesel trucks with stacks out of the bed. i saw one today with a stack out the hood. It looked good from a distance except for the stubby exhaust stack. I think the driver just damned himself to always driving with the windows up and the aircon on recirc, as everytime he got on it, smoke hit the passengerside of the windshield.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/16/19 10:02 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

See, even God hates it when people do that.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/19 10:52 p.m.

The basement on the new place has this winding staircase. Mostly, it's okay for me, but it seems that, if I'm in a certain part of my stride at a certain part near the bottom of the staircase, my head will hit. Yesterday, while carrying down a box of antique cameras and photography equipment, I discovered that I can hit my head near the top of the stairs too. I connected firmly, and saw stars. I dropped the box on one of the wider steps, and kinda fell to a seated position on a stair. The box teetered for a moment, then rolled end over end down the stairs, scattering Bakelite and glass everywhere. 

Today, I have a scab and a lump, and I'm still gutted about my old cameras.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
6/17/19 12:40 a.m.

The Facebook marketplace joys continue. Just had a woman ask if I'd take payments on my Mustang. Not surprisingly she got offended when I politely suggested she tried saving some money back and talk to me again when she had enough to make a reasonable offer.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/19 12:55 a.m.

Well, that wasn’t exactly the Father’s Day I was expecting.  

It started out ok, let the wife sleep in and took the kids downstairs to hang out and watch LeMans highlights.  

then it was off to a Chinese buffet for lunch to celebrate a death anniversary and that’s when things started sliding.  Our 3-year old started acting up and we were 30 minutes late, which was embarrassing since we were the closest to the restaurant.

after lunch, we were so full and lethargic all we could do was get the kids down for a nap and just lounge and digest.  Of course the 3-year old didn’t want to sleep and nearly woke up the 9-month old next door.

so instead of actually doing anything or going out to dinner, we just stayed home while the wife cleaned, fretted and generally stressed out while trying to deal with the 3-year old and various things in the house that weren’t “right”

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/19 1:26 a.m.

Commercial internet has been down for the past 3 days at work. Which makes the 12hr shifts go by super slow. Most of my job requires me to monitor various networks and devices outside of the domain so when commercial internet is down, I can't do my job.

But the real issue is that while commercial internet access was restored tonight, they seemed to have started blocking any AWS-hosted media. Which completely breaks the build threads.

I CANNOT WORK UNDER THESE CONDITIONS!!!!1!1!!!111!!

cheeky

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
6/17/19 3:24 a.m.

Just woke up at 4 am feeling nauseous.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/17/19 6:53 a.m.

We have an elderly cat with a strident voice. She’s been getting worse and worse over the years but now she. Will. Not. Shut. Up. Ever. The only time she’s quiet is when she’s asleep. She’s healthy, she’s not deaf, she’s not senile, she just wants constant attention. It’s driving us insane. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/17/19 7:03 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

I am RIGHT THERE WITH YOU just give me a moment's peace and quiet, cat!! ARRRRGH.

Sorry, your rant hit home.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/19 7:16 a.m.
stanger_missle said:

Commercial internet has been down for the past 3 days at work. Which makes the 12hr shifts go by super slow. Most of my job requires me to monitor various networks and devices outside of the domain so when commercial internet is down, I can't do my job.

But the real issue is that while commercial internet access was restored tonight, they seemed to have started blocking any AWS-hosted media. Which completely breaks the build threads.

cheeky

AWS is so big, your connection might as well still be down.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/17/19 8:05 a.m.
mad_machine said:

I also saw a new one today. We all know of the diesel trucks with stacks out of the bed. i saw one today with a stack out the hood. It looked good from a distance except for the stubby exhaust stack. I think the driver just damned himself to always driving with the windows up and the aircon on recirc, as everytime he got on it, smoke hit the passengerside of the windshield.

That is a thing amongst morons, I think.  I saw a guy driving a diesel Jetta with that setup last summer.

Ashyukun (Robert)
6/17/19 8:39 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Duke :

I am RIGHT THERE WITH YOU just give me a moment's peace and quiet, cat!! ARRRRGH.

Sorry, your rant hit home.

Same here- though we know for certain that the cat in question is completely deaf. You could hold an air horn next to her head and set it off, and she'd only glace over at it due to the airflow. She is VERY loud, especially for her diminutive size. For better or worse though, because she and the dog don't get along she lives on the top floor of the house so as long as we're not working on something in my office (where she principally hangs out) it's not a real problem.

Ashyukun (Robert)
6/17/19 9:03 a.m.

So, with now having a new builder hired to finish the cabin (and fix the issues it currently has), we're cautiously optimistic about the cabin again. One of the first things that needs to be done on it? Stain and seal the exterior wood siding. Thanks to a tip from the builder (and some fortune on my part, since he thought the deal ran a few more days but I didn't wait and stopped in at the Sherman-Williams store that day) we got the stain for nearly half off its normal price. Yay!

What's the weather forecast look like for the next week and a half? Thunderstorms. Every berking day. -_-

At least there are things they can (and will) be doing on the inside... but c'mon weather, cut us a break here!

Also, with starting a new (and hopefully less frustrating) chapter on the cabin, I'm going to start its own thread so I'm not constantly ranting about it here...

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/19 10:04 a.m.
stanger_missle said:

cheeky

Doesn't AWS host, like, half the Internet nowadays.

1 ... 987 988 989 990 991 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
INKAbL0DZwPmXfuKDDkwRN01tjVz7YVTYKsiMgL8ZTpeHYzO8u9DUxZ2UCqpBvx0