Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/19 10:08 p.m.

Today was a good day.

Knurled.
9/1/19 6:39 p.m.
Daylan C said:

Friend's new turbo Volvo made a 5 hour trip home with the biggest issue being a lost oil cap.

That being the S60R with the 2004 era body kit?  Nice.

Mine took 8 hours to get home, with the biggest issue being OMG GTFO OF THE WAY people driving nose to tail in the center lane with their cruise control engaged so their brains could be disengaged.

Minor win:  I'm done driving for the weekend, so I will be much more pleasant after a few hours of sleep.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
9/2/19 4:23 p.m.

We ran our favorite autox of the year at Grattan Raceway.  It ends up being a super fast course.  The only downer was our finishing order.  We ended up mid-pack in ES, but exchanged the lead for family bragging rights at least 4 or 5 times during our runs.  Both of us dropped a TON of time.  We drove the car home at the end of the day.  The best part: We were swapping driver and passenger seat.  I asked Kazoo Jr. if he wanted me to jump out for his last couple runs to save weight and try to post a better time.  He said "Na, I'd rather lose with you than win without you."  In the end, we took all our runs together and I bested him by a second or so. 

Related image

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
9/4/19 6:41 a.m.

Finished bathroom. (Pyro's dad's house)

Original from about 1971 so anything was an improvement. Had to rip out stucco / concrete behind tile and put in new concrete boards and surround. Also replaced the faucet / vanity faucet and a new light.

I ain't no plumber so crouching in a closet and torching pipe was a new one.

Looks ok.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
9/6/19 3:26 p.m.

Met another GRMer and scored wheels for the beater. Solid day so far.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
9/6/19 4:43 p.m.

Washed mazdaface today. Just a quick pressure wash, but dang is this a subtly aggressive looking car. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
9/6/19 7:38 p.m.

The 8 year old just told me she wants to get a job when she’s older so she can get money to buy a Porsche for me.

Not sure if I should be more proud of the ambition, selflessness, or the correct pronunciation of “Porsche.”

Knurled.
9/6/19 8:02 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

She might not be entirely old enough to fully grasp the first two, but the third?  That kid deserves all the cookies.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/7/19 8:19 a.m.

The hospital I'm in atleast has good food

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
9/7/19 10:58 a.m.
dropstep said:

The hospital I'm in atleast has good food

And the "Glass is half full" award goes to . . . dropstep, for "Hospital Food".  Hang in there and get well. 

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
9/7/19 2:04 p.m.

The movies based Stephen King’s It were filmed near us in Port Hope Ontario. My wife won a pair tickets to a special screening of IT Chapter 2  that was shown at The Capitol Theatre in Port Hope. It was kinda cool to watch a movie inside a building that was heavily featured in the movie.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/7/19 2:42 p.m.

I pulled the longbeast up as third car back in the turn lane. I noticed the guy in the through lane was first in his line but had hung back to stay near the empty space I was pulling into. 

He rolled down the window and I figured he was going to ask if he could cut in...  nope.  He shouted “That’s a really cool Volvo! It’s awesome!” and waved enthusiastically as he pulled away. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
9/7/19 2:45 p.m.

Pulling out the front struts and ball joints on the unicorn Jaaaag.  Passenger side took me 3 hours.  Drivers’ side under 30 minutes knowing how things come apart in order.

(ball joints being riveted in otoh could go in the minor rants page)

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
9/7/19 5:30 p.m.

Picked up my new to me tractor yesterday.  2007 30hp New Holland.  This will definitely help with the move to the new house and shop build.

Knurled.
9/7/19 5:47 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

She might not be entirely old enough to fully grasp the first two, but the third?  That kid deserves all the cookies.

Next door neighbor had someone visiting, with a Boxster with the license plate PORSH AH.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
9/8/19 5:52 p.m.

No more borrowing the parents van & trailer... Mazdaface can carry 2 kayaks and a bike now! 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/8/19 5:59 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

I'd rather the backhoe than the finish mower, but I really like. Kinda jealous.

Bonus win though, today was ham day. I'm getting a lot better at brining, just sucks it takes a month to find out how the changes worked. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/11/19 7:24 a.m.

Finally hunted down the rattle from hell on the Miata that has plagued me all year.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/19 8:00 a.m.
NickD said:

Finally hunted down the rattle from hell on the Miata that has plagued me all year.

What was it?

NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/11/19 8:57 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:
NickD said:

What was it?

A few years back I put on a Carbonmiata rear finish panel, which fits like E36 M3 like all their products. The two holes for the phillips-headed bolts in the lower license plate area that hold the finish panel to the body weren't even remotely close to lining up, so I threaded the bolts in a little bit on the inside so that I didn't have holes into the trunk. Somehow, the one tightened up a little so that it was just barely contacting the back of the finish panel, and at the right RPMs would vibrate the finish panel against it and the empty trunk would magnify the sound

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/19 3:02 p.m.

Back from a 3 week trip to Australia and I'm 5 of 5 on vehicles started in the fleet, including the Caprice that decided to have a no spark issue ( turned out to be the main ground so was easy)

Zx2s ancient battery decided to die, but I was replacing it soon anyway so it's not a downer

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/11/19 3:20 p.m.

Preregistration  for Saturday's autocross has jumped from 65 to 85 cars in the last week.  Prereg closes in just over 24 hours.  We may hit our event cap of 90 cars.

Or maybe this is a minor rant?  Not entirely sure at this point.  I wish I had a replacement autocross chair lined up.

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile Reader
9/11/19 6:07 p.m.

Somehow achieved a 3rd gear scratch today in a 20 year old 229k mile zx2 laugh

grinned like a 16 year old 

Knurled.
9/11/19 6:22 p.m.
Subscriber-unavailabile said:

Somehow achieved a 3rd gear scratch today in a 20 year old 229k mile zx2 laugh

grinned like a 16 year old 

Somewhere on an old disused hard drive is a video I took of my friend in his '99 ZX2 (The Scrote) spinning the tires in 3rd for what felt like a minute.  Those all season tires were on the car as long as it took Tire Rack to ship a set of Kumho 712s to his house.

For some reason he went through a lot of transmissions...

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile Reader
9/11/19 6:49 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Funniest part I wasn’t even trying. My car came with some brand new  Chinese 420tw tires that I’ve been trying to burn thru. Traction is silly stupid, 1st gear is only about 30% throttle till smoke happens

year later 

This is most abused tire

1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 ... 292

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TFa2EC4UecuNOmC23H0SjROgV1sv99j30jWSYUYr0hi2aaBMnkl4aWku90bc2Fij