1 ... 119 120 121 122 123 ... 292
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/3/20 7:31 a.m.
Cotton said:

My 72 C50 Firetruck needs some updating.  I have a new HEI distributor (to replace the points), Edelbrock aluminum intake,  and Quick Fuel 4 barrel carb to go on.  It was a local pumper truck and has less than 10k original miles.  Also got comprehensive insurance on it,  which was ridiculously cheap,  but even crazier because adding it to my policy resulted in additional discounts to the point where instead of paying them to insure it I'm getting a refund check.  There is a "you know you have too many vehicles insured" joke in there somewhere.

I used to keep cars insured in bulk- it was always somehow cheaper to have more cars than motorists on my plan. At least twice I kept cars on my policy I knew had been crushed just for the discount. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/20 7:39 a.m.
oldopelguy said:

In reply to Knurled. :

See also grilled cheese with fried egg, bacon, and tomato (the lettuce wilts weird).

*Homer drool noises*

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/3/20 8:30 a.m.
Mndsm said:

Last night at about 930, the adapter on my Sennheiser headset died. Hop in Amazon, expecting one sometime Tuesday. Go to check out, guaranteed by 0800 today is an extra 3 bucks. Ok, I'm curious enough to spend 3 extra dollars to see if this is real. 

Got shipping confirmation at 0745, and sure enough when I put pants on and went to look, it was there. That was kinda awesome. 

BUT BUT BUT Amazon is the root of all evil, next to Wal*Mart.

Or something.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/3/20 8:31 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

We were pissed couldn't get it delivered when it happened for $5 and a beer

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/3/20 11:21 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Duke :

We were pissed couldn't get it delivered when it happened for $5 and a beer

It's true. There was no bribery button. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/20 11:40 a.m.

Win today for me. Me and the Mrs. Own 12 running and driving registered cars. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/4/20 10:30 a.m.

Successfully replaced the gas valve/thermostat/control for the hot water heater yesterday evening so was able to take a hot shower and shave at home after 4 days without hot water. Managed to not blow up the house dealing with the natural gas lines, which was a major plus.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/4/20 7:56 p.m.

This isn't even my win, but...

Most of the New Years Resolution people have dropped out of the gym scene already. There are a few folks that seem to be hitting it harder than ever now that they've gotten over the initial "getting back in shape" pains. I've never spoken to them, but I'm happy to see them sticking with it.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
2/5/20 4:45 p.m.

The screeching NIMBYs lost their beloved lawsuit last night. It is especially rough on their new council people who pretty much ran on winning the court battle. So the city flushed $60k down the drain to appease 4% of the population, lost the court battle, filed an appeal, and lastly settled out of court to prevent a financially crippling outcome.

Watching the new council folks vote in favor of stopping the bleeding (and thus against their campaign promises) was amusing.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/20 6:34 p.m.

In reply to slefain :

Did you write it up for your local paper?

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
2/5/20 6:44 p.m.

In reply to slefain :

Link to a news article or something? I need to warm the cockles of my heart, and reading about a bunch of politicians taking it in the shorts sounds like a great way to do it...

slefain
slefain PowerDork
2/5/20 9:40 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

In reply to slefain :

Link to a news article or something? I need to warm the cockles of my heart, and reading about a bunch of politicians taking it in the shorts sounds like a great way to do it...

AngryCorvair said:

In reply to slefain :

Sadly no big newspaper story yet. There may not be either, as the settlement calls for both sides to shut up about the entire situation. Most of the fireworks happened either at public meetings or on NextDoor. Here's the joint statement calling an end to the whole mess: http://clarkstonga.gov/sites/default/files/inline-images/Clarkston-%20NAMB%20joint%20public%20statement.JPG

TL:DR - Church buys houses and decides to demolish them. Local NIMBYs pitch fit about (a) it being a church (b) the houses being old. Somehow the city listens to roughly 4% of the population and slaps a demolition moratorium in place pending creation of a historic preservation district. Said moratorium is post-dated to the day the church filed for demo permits. Lawsuit ensues, city loses, city appeals, city realizes they are screwed and settles.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/6/20 8:23 a.m.

I'm somewhere between understanding how to clear snow from my sidewalk and resenting having to.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/6/20 6:21 p.m.
slefain said:
Recon1342 said:

In reply to slefain :

AngryCorvair said:

In reply to slefain :

Sadly no big newspaper story yet. There may not be either, as the settlement calls for both sides to shut up about the entire situation. 

Are you under this gag order? It seems like you could write something up and sell it to the local rag for a few bucks.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/20 7:08 p.m.
Professor_Brap said:

Win today for me. Me and the Mrs. Own 12 running and driving registered cars. 

The State be like

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
2/8/20 8:28 p.m.

Overtime. I haven't had overtime in years. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/9/20 1:57 p.m.

I met chad degroot today. Nicest dude ever. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
2/12/20 4:43 p.m.

Got Mom to use Alexa to play her favorite radio station on the Echo Flex we bought her. It is a start. Now to teach her how to make phone calls.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/13/20 5:24 p.m.

TM and her daughters are at a funeral visitation this evening.  Since I had some free time and nobody to answer to I decided to practice sticking some metal together with my welder.

Weirdly I blew a fuse (hadn't done that before but who knows) so I put down the tools and go to the mechanical room to replace said fuse.  Old duplex style house has actual mechanical room.  Where, while performing said electrical task, I notice that the furnace for the "other" side is short cycling.  Uh oh.

Well E36 M3 balls, I don't want to mess with jacked up furnaces!!!  But in the depths of my memory I remember that the last short cycling furnace problem was due to a funky thermistor and the solution is sandpaper.   So I eyeball the screw holding it in place (correctly guess it's an 8mm) grab the proper socket and extension and a piece of 600 grit sandpaper.  And in 5 minutes have it up and running like, well, a Trane.

That could have been much worse.

pkingham
pkingham GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/13/20 6:43 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

In my experience, now is the time to source a replacement thermistor so that when the sandpaper trick stops working, it’s still quick and easy.  On my old water heater, I twice went through the routine of cleaning it up after shorter and shorter intervals. It gets really annoying to mess with it every couple days. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/13/20 10:40 p.m.

In reply to pkingham :

True enough.  Although the other furnace got a cleaning 4 years ago and hasn't been touched since.    Buying a new thermistor will just guarantee it never fails again..........which is actually a good idea.

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
2/14/20 10:13 a.m.

I got to pull a large tractor backwards up a sno-packed gravel road with my Avalanche. And then pulled the semi-trailer that the tractor was trying to help. Good times!

Shoveling snow at 0.4 degrees F was not as fun.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
2/14/20 1:47 p.m.

E30 is finally gonna sell in the next 5 days.

I've also never sold a car on eBay or really privately, so I also only have 5 days to learn how.

No photo description available.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/14/20 2:03 p.m.

In reply to FuzzWuzzy :

Only if the guy actually pays.....

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
2/14/20 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

As long as he pays the deposit before ghosting me, I'll be perfectly fine.

1 ... 119 120 121 122 123 ... 292

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NBwtSPg5cB90QaW5MVrbdkINk7fW26LnqTRjC1v5whQOQ8Sw8FlI87BFIIqKs1I2