1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 ... 291
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/22/20 1:27 p.m.

Had two job interviews today and got word from a reference that another place called him asking about me. Counting that as a win, but still need to turn an interview into a job offer. Luckily I have about a month left of getting paid to try and line up a new gig.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/22/20 7:57 p.m.

Busy over the weekend and didn't get to take our daily walks. Went tonight with thunder rumbling and gusts of wind. Made it 30 minutes circling the block and had just finished a lap when the first raindrop hit. Five minutes later it was pouring. 

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) Dork
6/23/20 10:23 a.m.

Talked to the head of the IT dept today, he said they need help and had talked about bringing me back in. He would let me know.

20 minutes later, driving --

He called, I start back to work next week!

Only 24 hours per week, a work share program.

But its nice to be employed again!

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/24/20 2:53 p.m.

My coworker took my Miata diff yesterday to drop it off at the guy who was going to overhaul. The guy just called and said its done. I was honestly expecting not to see it for a week or two. 

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
6/27/20 6:41 p.m.

Helped a friend with his f250 today. We took off this Momo v35 and put in a classic wood wheel. 

He gave it to me when we were done. Stoked! Don't have a car for it however I want to build my son a 2002. Perfect wheel for it.

Also, I want to get a new horn button  (maybe yellow?) here are a bunch of cool ones to choose from

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/20 8:50 p.m.

3rd out of 36 in both my run group and my class at the first autocross since early March. Ye old 986 S is still competitive with the S2K's and ND2's of the world.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/20 10:02 p.m.

Went for a drive with the missus. Through Chicago proper, up LSD to Kenosha. I had jealousy over multi-million dollar homes, with a Silver Seraph following me, a bunch of 991 Cab Turbos parked in front of houses with the top dropped. Still, I had excellent vegetarian mexican (and a damn nice margarita) at a joint named Issac and Moishe's Kosher Deli, and on the way home, I legit spotted a Zimmer Quicksilver parked at an apartment building. I failed to stop off for a six pack of  New Glarous, but there's always next time. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/4/20 7:22 a.m.

Quarantine vacation with my significant other and daughter.  We have a house to ourselves and the beach is essentially empty.  Grilled swordfish last night.   

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) Dork
7/5/20 2:09 p.m.

I'm going to be optimistic. 

I'm hoping it's not Covid....  laugh

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
7/6/20 1:41 p.m.

I went over my self imposed car budget by a bit and my wife just keeps telling me to buy what I need. She's a keeper! 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/6/20 2:02 p.m.

Had a discussion with my wife this weekend about me thinking I wanted to get rid of the Cayman to fund my Opel project and really kick start the build. I was firmly informed that I will not  be selling any of our vehicles and will have to fund the Opel like everything else. Six cars it is.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/8/20 8:38 a.m.

After dragging my feet for weeks, I finally got up when my (relatively) early alarm went off and didn't hit snooze, meaning I was up early enough to go out and ride about 5 miles on my bike before showering and starting work for the day. Hopefully it won't be another month before I do it (or get brave and go swim laps at the gym) again. Knowing that one of our far-from-fit friends here has been getting up and running (in short bursts) a mile each day means that I'm pretty likely to keep at it because it would be embarrassing for him to be able to keep at working out better than me... 

Yeah, it's kind of petty- but I'll use what motivation I can. :P

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) Dork
7/8/20 4:10 p.m.

It's a win to have friends to mess with you.

Matt makes me laugh everytime he "relates" bits of magic doritos wisdom he finds.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
7/8/20 8:01 p.m.

I guess it's a win?? We found out a few weeks ago we are pregnant pretty unexpectedly, first ultrasound was today and everything looks good.

Definitely nervous, and we weren't exactly mentally prepared, but luckily we'll be okay.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/8/20 8:10 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

Congratulations!  The first rule of parenting is that nobody is EVER mentally prepared, but you figure it out. 

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
7/9/20 12:21 p.m.

The shiny side is still up, so it was a good first flight.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/9/20 12:26 p.m.

In reply to JohnInKansas :

Awesome! Glad you are getting a chance to check in.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/9/20 9:26 p.m.

Today my 3 year old told his preschool teacher that the Miata will be his someday. That's not a discussion we've had, but I'm glad he's planting the seed early!

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/9/20 10:34 p.m.

Finally, I'm the new owner of an older home that needs some work and has 4+ acres on the edge of suburbia about 1/2 mile down a private dirt road.  Took a lot of effort to verify access to the property across other properties due to prior family land transfers (poor documentation) and Covid restrictions on access to court records.  This almost torpedoed the deal as my original contract expired Monday and the seller would only sign an extension through tomorrow.  Got word today around 12:30 that we had the needed deeds and the title insurance company was happy so were going to close today.  Flaming hoops were encountered in order to be at the attorney's office in 2 hours ready to go...

Now to get it liveable so I can sell my current residence (hopefully before the end of 2020) and resupply the bank account .  Should be about an even swap $ wise in the end.  Going from 1850 sf on 1/4 acre to 1500 sf on 4+ acres with a 10 minute longer drive to work.  At least for a year or so, then the commute from my current place is going to start sucking bad as a major construction project gears up for probably 8-10 years...

So here it is in all it's glory (roof was replaced about 6 weeks ago).  2 car carport at the back.  Partial basement with tiny 1 car garage under the single story portion on the right.  Out of view to the left is a small outbuilding that needs a roof and a new floor (storage area not a garage).  There is about 1.5 acres that is in front of and on each side of the house and  2.5 acres behind the carport and to the left.

Thankfully, the previous owner took the pig, the duck, the chickens, the 15-20 beagles, and the sweetest 16 year old black lab.  I think they ate the rabbits and quail.  So only wildlife remains.  There were 2 blue tailed skinks hanging out on the front porch when I rolled by this evening.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/10/20 1:21 p.m.

I fixed/repaired my broken monitor. Just a cable that went bad unexpectedly. Working from home had me using scraps, but since I am here likely till the end of septemeber I upgraded to a new 34 144hz one off craigslist before I got it fixed. 

Which now means I now have a 57 FREAKING INCH's of space to work. 5360*1440 Its like living in the future. Even better I found a second 27 that matches my really good one on Craiglist for 150$ as well so I can go maximum battle station when my desk gets here.  Going to need a new graphics card at some point but the system is 4 years old give or take and getting a refresh this month anyway and its keeping up but not on temps. I also got a good ergo chair. 

So system and network info on the left screen in rainmeter with all my little tweaks. Code on the right with a 90 degree turn and a big center screen. 

Ordered a mechanical keyboard after all these years for home as well and a good multi button mouse 16000 dpi mouse. 

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
7/10/20 1:28 p.m.

The Lancia developed a knocking noise when going over bumps somewhere in the front end.  It got worse and the noise could now be made when turning the steering wheel quickly left to right.  Found the RH tie rod was moving up and down on the inboard side when turning the steering wheel.   I pulled the steering rack out and found the bushing on the RH side of the rack was in a million pieces.  I thought, "No problem, I have a spare rack that I can use".   No joy. I looked the bushing on the spare and it was almost as bad.

Who would have guessed that Matt at Midwest Bayless would make an annodized aluminum replacement.  He's a little high on the price but for $38 it was a better option than the $8 plastic one.   It goes in tonight.  Thanks, Matt! (gotta support the rebuilding after the fire there)

dollraves
dollraves Reader
7/10/20 2:05 p.m.

I got home last week after 6 months abroad/on the left coast (was only supposed to be gone 6 weeks - thanks covid-19!). Popped the hood on the RX8 to pull the battery. Got swarmed by red paper wasps who'd built a nest under the hood. Did not get stung!! WINNING

Now...if the car will just start once I replace the battery, life will truly be good. (But I'm guessing it's going to take me a few days/weeks before I can claim that win)

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/10/20 4:20 p.m.

Got not one, but two job offers. Also, I played a game of chicken with salary negotiation and won. This week has been my second week of using up my vacation days from my previous job. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/20 4:22 p.m.

IT IS FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/11/20 12:28 p.m.

Sold a car two years ago, buyer paid for it, got a call three weeks ago for an abandoned car titled in my name. It was the car I sold two years ago. Didn't run, timing belt was replaced at the same mileage that is currently showing on the odometer. Pulled the timing covers off, set the timing to the correct position, and started the car right up. 

TL;DR- Recon retrieves a sold car and gets it running in 4 hours- basically a free car now!

1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 ... 291

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HhB7joycIYIcLIfycvjKAF5Y8z4x2ZOE0jRRVMQTiHbrddl0nDVDVOfpl9TyzBw0