1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 ... 291
NickD
NickD UltimaDork
8/31/20 6:11 p.m.

I got to operate a steam locomotive. And not just any engine, but the engine that I got to sit in the cab of 15+ years ago when it was off-duty.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/31/20 7:25 p.m.

I found the crystal to replace the slightly cracked one on my 1976 Seiko 6003. It's not an expensive watch but it's hard to find one with no day/date and manual winding from this era. Anyway, hell yeah.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/31/20 7:47 p.m.

Geocaching is so much fun

wae
wae UltraDork
8/31/20 11:47 p.m.

I went up and down the ladder to take down and remount a 16ish foot pole.  It was absolutely terrifying, but I pushed through and did it.  Slowly but surely I am working through my fear of heights.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/1/20 12:54 p.m.

I got my promotion today. 

Which means I am the youngest person that I know of who has a this level at the company, the only person without a MD, MS/Post or PHD who has this reached this level. Wife and I are going out to celebrate.

Does not get announced till tomorrow morning. Had to tell someone though it eating me up inside. Apparently no issues at the committee that approved me which never happens. 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/1/20 3:04 p.m.

In celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary, today I gifted my wife a manure spreader.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/1/20 3:05 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

I got my promotion today. 

Which means I am the youngest person that I know of who has a this level at the company, the only person without a MD, MS/Post or PHD who has this reached this level. Wife and I are going out to celebrate.

Does not get announced till tomorrow morning. Had to tell someone though it eating me up inside. Apparently no issues at the committee that approved me which never happens. 

That's awesome, congratulations

slefain
slefain PowerDork
9/1/20 3:22 p.m.

Went to the doc today. I'm still at 167 pounds, like I was last year. Guess I dodged the COVID 15. Five years ago when I worked in a mega corporate office I was 176. When I got married 15 years ago I was 165. I'll take that.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/1/20 4:10 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

That's awesome.  Once I bought my wife an add on part to her new S10 Blazer and she mentioned something about jewelry or clothes.   

This is great. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/1/20 4:22 p.m.

I've developed this habit of buying cheap steaks at Target. Today, it was Ribeyes. We're doing ok. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/1/20 4:25 p.m.
Karacticus said:

In celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary, today I gifted my wife a manure spreader.

Here's to 25 years of you putting up with my E36 M3?

wae
wae UltraDork
9/1/20 9:42 p.m.

Finally found the time to clay bar, polish, and wax the Miata.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
9/1/20 10:36 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

At least you know she can sort through the e36 m3..

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
9/2/20 6:26 p.m.

Dog went to the vet for what we were afraid would be a one way trip.  As it turns out, he has pancreatitis.  The good news is, he made the trip home.  The bad news, he'll be on specialized food which, by the price, is made out of gold bullion.  

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/2/20 7:40 p.m.

I took the day off work and did a whole day of geocaching and hiking with the wife. It was great!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/3/20 10:14 a.m.

This is arguably a major win, but I'm not one on fanfare so here it is. 

Approximately 90 days ago, I took myself to the er with shortness of breath and water retention. I thought it was allergies. Turns out I was very nearly dead. (Never said anything simply because wally's event was quite literally the day I woke up in the hospital and that was more important) Diagnosed congestive heart failure. Eject fraction (I think that's what it's called) is supposed to be 55%. Dangerous is 35. I was between 20 and 24%. So... Very nearly dead. Spent 4 days on a cardiac floor with some very nice nurses. Never did figure out why, other than family history, and mystery virus. Miraculously no danger of heart attack, ateries and stuff were wide open.  Got sent home with a life vest and a no lift, no work, no carry, no fun order.  No salt, 1500ml liquid, no booze no nothing. Spent 90 days on my couch watching season after season of...whatever. Futurama, disenchanted, simpsons, south park. The only one I didn't finish was the simpsons. Bored as berkeley. Probably saw the obnoxious amount of nintendo I bought. 

Today I went for my results following my 90 day echo. 

Doctor said my recovery was nothing short of miraculous. Everything is back to normal. Got to put "history of" in front of my cfh dx. I'll be on meds and a salt restrictive diet for the rest of my life, but things can start to go back. I can ride my bike. I can think about going back to work. All in all I am feeling pretty berkeleyin good about life right now. 

CJ (He's Just an FS)
CJ (He's Just an FS) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/3/20 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

OUT-BERKELEYING-STANDING

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/3/20 10:55 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

That is great news!  They've got nothing except family history for a diagnosis?

Either way, that's awesome!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/3/20 11:18 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

berkeleyin A man

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/3/20 11:25 a.m.

Congrats man

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/3/20 11:27 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Ejection Fraction; you were really close. 

For everybody in the stands, it's a measurement of the efficiency of your heart. After your heart fills with blood, it beats, pumping that blood out to the rest of your body. The EF is derived from the difference between the amount of blood present before and after the beat, giving the Doc a really good indication of how well your heart is working. 

And yes- 20% is practically dead. You sir, are a blessed individual. 

ETA- my explanation is super simplified. There's a ton of stuff going on to make just one heartbeat go correctly. If you're curious, shoot me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/3/20 11:28 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Mndsm :

That is great news!  They've got nothing except family history for a diagnosis?

Either way, that's awesome!

Yeah, no clue. Bizarre stuff. I almost wonder if I didn't get a nasty bug bite or something. I had this weird thing on my leg for a while that didn't really do anything but it was super gross and stuff. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/3/20 11:30 a.m.
Recon1342 said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Ejection Fraction; you were really close. 

For everybody in the stands, it's a measurement of the efficiency of your heart. After your heart fills with blood, it beats, pumping that blood out to the rest of your body. The EF is derived from the difference between the amount of blood present before and after the beat, giving the Doc a really good indication of how well your heart is working. 

And yes- 20% is practically dead. You sir, are a blessed individual. 

That's what I've been told. The er doc took one look at me when I went in and was like "you're going to the hospital because you're dying". Well then. 

wae
wae UltraDork
9/3/20 11:39 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Sounds like you really dodged a bullet!  Congratulations on the second half of your life!

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/3/20 11:58 a.m.

Outstanding MNDSM!

And yes, Ejection Fraction. How much of the blood leaves your heart when it pumps. 50% range and better, everything is getting oxygen. 35% range, danger. 

I assume Covid test came back negative?

EDIT: Recon had a better explanation than me. And he's right, hearts are weird and complex. 

1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 ... 291

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NRC0uBoFmI3D10hWL4pMCkjkCKRpmauuCCKsRjFhhhC8jqXko07nhCA647Uvyb56