1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 ... 186
Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/23/21 10:46 a.m.

This year was probably the quickest/easiest for filing my income taxes for a while. That's out of the way, and I'm getting a solid return - big enough to do some hobby spending, but not big enough to feel stupid about way overpaying taxes.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/21 11:44 a.m.

We hired a junior engineer to take some of my workload. He started today.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/23/21 1:55 p.m.

Were ready a bit early 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/23/21 2:04 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Nap time!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/21 4:09 p.m.

GET SOME!!!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/23/21 5:15 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

GET SOME!!!

PS - make sure you listen all the way to the end.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
4/23/21 6:15 p.m.
Duke said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

GET SOME!!!

PS - make sure you listen all the way to the end.

I have that cd somewhere.  Instead of working on the car at the hotel we took a chance that they'd open the gates early because there were a number of sprint car teams that traveled here from the Midwest. They did and for most of the day there were just a handful of us here. We pretty much unbuttoned every piece of tin and cleaned the entire car. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
4/24/21 11:04 p.m.

I just bought my first professional-quality kitchen knife. My wife has always insisted on cheap knives, but I'm the poor sod that has to try to sharpen them. No more! I am taking a stand against poor-quality steel! Today's purchase was a Shun paring knife. It was worth every cent, but I'm still in awe of the fact that I dropped nearly a c-note on a paring knife.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/25/21 6:07 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

DW and I were just remarking on this. When we moved in together we had the usual cheap hand-me-downs. We were young and broke but we started putting together a set of nice knives, one stick at a time as we could afford them.  Some of our friends were astounded that we would pay $100 in 1990 money for a knife.

Nearly all of those knives have been in regular use for 30 years at this point. Some of them 35. And they have 30 more years left in them. We will pass them down to our kids.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/25/21 6:19 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

Were ready a bit early 

Wally, I meant to ask you - what is with the body roll on those things?  That wasn't how they ran back in the '70s when I used to go to the races.  What does it do for you?  On the big refrigerator shaped late models they seem to lean waaaaay outside.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
4/25/21 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

They roll an uncomfortable amount.  It transfers weight to the right rear to get more traction off the corners and depending on how the trailing links are adjusted can introduce some rear steer to the cars to push them through the corners.  The modifieds like ours don't run a whole lot of rear steer but it you watch a dirt late model when they roll over the rear ends start to point sideways. 

These cars and events run so much differently than the asphalt cars, it's been a lot to learn for such a simple car.  The good part is that they really tolerate abuse well. Most of the days it just needs a good wash, some basic maintenance and setup changes and keeps going. Last night we had a lot of contact having drawn poorly for our heat, racing our way in through the consi, then moving up from 24th to 13th under green so it will need a new nerf bar and and a left body side panel but that's about an hour's worth of work. It's all held together with pins and deuz buttons. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/25/21 9:57 a.m.

If you're not early, you're late.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
4/25/21 11:44 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

All the time 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/21 2:29 p.m.
Appleseed said:

If you're not early, you're late.

If you're early, you're early, which is awful. Be on time for social engagements. 

Unless we're talking about work, in which case there is no defined start time, because that would imply there is also an end time. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
4/25/21 4:01 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

My work has a very clear start time, 15 minutes before your scheduled report time, and no end time. The perk to being salaried is getting to work all the hours. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/25/21 4:54 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I saw this once.

"Early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable!"

Wally (Forum Supporter)
4/25/21 9:45 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

This is how the bus company works. Late can turn around and go home. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
4/25/21 9:47 p.m.

Thanks Appleseed!!

I came home from my trip to a surprise.  I could not find this anywhere, obviously my favorite Hot Wheels.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/26/21 6:25 a.m.

Finally got to get out and autocross yesterday (first one of the season).  It was cold and cloudy for the first two heats and I managed to have FTD at the end of 2.  Heats 3&4 got sunshine, warming asphalt and 20 degree warmer air temps so I finished 26th of 175.   Still had fun and ready for more next weekend.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
4/26/21 11:09 p.m.

Neighbor gifted me a free Cub Cadet riding mower but it has a recently installed 4"x6" window in the engine block.  Anyone have a Kohler SV590 or other 20 hp vertical shaft engine for sale?  

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
4/26/21 11:24 p.m.

Was wandering through the hammer store.  Checked the clearance section.  

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-gauge-5-amp-metal-shears-64609.html

$45

14 gauge 5 Amp Metal Shears 64609 alternate photo #2

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
4/27/21 6:24 p.m.

I really thought it was a website glitch and they would cancel the order; but apparently Tractor Supply will indeed deliver a 300lb 60 gallon air compressor next/same day for less than half the price they would charge for freight delivery from a warehouse. Bonus win; the four post lift was a great tool to unload the heavy beast.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
4/27/21 8:59 p.m.

Got my second shot today!

Celebrated by ordering IMSA mid ohio tickets! 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/27/21 11:14 p.m.

I got to play Mazin Saga: Mutant Fighter for the first time in decades.

It's as fun as I remember

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/28/21 7:58 p.m.

I painted a freaking star field on the band room ceiling today.

Looks amazing IMO

1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 ... 186
Our Preferred Partners
oOs1Mqhyp5B2rvBr4j1DLDijMPQ0ChBNQ4kmyfEbhR2HymYdk7SQiRP2d2hcJD2r