1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 ... 292
CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/9/22 1:34 a.m.

We ordered a cooktop about a month ago. When we ordered it we were told it would be 3-4 months minimum before it would arrive. We decided to buy the matching oven and while we were placing the order our salesperson let us know that the cooktop was in. A couple hours later...

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
1/9/22 11:07 a.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Wow, a "proof of life" photo!

Wait.  I thought Wally was a a robot?  A robot programmed to entertain the masses here at GRM.  Who knew? 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/9/22 11:49 a.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Wow, a "proof of life" photo!

Not just proof of life. Definitely female.  Shirt looks like she slept in it. Puppy paw tat. Only a half point deduction for the Keurig. ;^)

Good job Wally. We're all rooting for you. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/22 5:38 p.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

Thank you, she's definitely female and really nice. I'm not a coffee person and the keurig was a gift from someone, so she's grudgingly using it. 

Congratulations on the new stove and cooktop. It's such a project to find things now. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
1/10/22 5:14 p.m.

Yesterday I started peeling the wallpaper in one of the closets in the spare bedroom.

That's right. Wallpaper in the closet.

It's the second last closet to get modernized, and I was really afraid of what I was going to find under that wallpaper.  It looks like there was a roof leak at some point and it ended up on the ceiling and walls of this closet and wallpaper was used to hide it. I budgeted a week to get it done. Mrs. P thought it would take two. I tore it down yesterday, started cutting drywall this morning and I'm going to mud the corners and the joints after dinner, and it should be in primer tomorrow.

I berkeleying hate this work, but if I can get on a roll it usually goes OK

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/10/22 5:23 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

Yesterday I started peeling the wallpaper in one of the closets in the spare bedroom.

That's right. Wallpaper in the closet.

It's the second last closet to get modernized, and I was really afraid of what I was going to find under that wallpaper.  It looks like there was a roof leak at some point and it ended up on the ceiling and walls of this closet and wallpaper was used to hide it. I budgeted a week to get it done. Mrs. P thought it would take two. I tore it down yesterday, started cutting drywall this morning and I'm going to mud the corners and the joints after dinner, and it should be in primer tomorrow.

I berkeleying hate this work, but if I can get on a roll it usually goes OK

My parents new house had a room with velvet wallpaper (flock?). It was even on the door. My brother works for the contractor that renovated the home; my dad told him he was going to get a head start on taking the wallpaper down. My brother said "don't worry about it, we'll have that room done tomorrow". 

By 9AM the next day, they had pulled down all the drywall, by noon, the new drywall was up. Mudding and everything took a few more weeks as it was a gut rehab, but it would have taken way longer and way more in labor costs to take the wallpaper down.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/10/22 5:29 p.m.

Wallpaper is the berking devil's work.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/10/22 5:33 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Yea, not looking forward to it. Wife is upset with the wallpaper in the bathroom. That is tiled over on the bottom half, which also wraps around the shower. Only wallpaper in the damn house, and it's at least 2 layers deep.

She's at least agreed to pay someone else instead of torture me with it.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/22 5:40 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Paper Tiger wallpaper remover don't take no E36 M3 from nobody...

Free download Zinsser PaperTiger Wallpaper Removal Scoring Tool SKU  00164186 [800x800] for your Desktop, Mobile & Tablet | Explore 47+ Paper  Tiger Wallpaper Removal Tool | Wallpaper Perforating Tool, Wallpaper Removal  Tools, Tiger Wallpaper Remover

Once scored, blast with a steamer rented from HD and that old paper will know who's boss.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
1/10/22 8:33 p.m.

Add vinegar to the steam water for the win.  Had an 1880's Victorian first house.  Fun fact, they wallpapered the ceilings during those days.... Lots of fun with the Tiger and hot vinegar water.

My win is that I gave notice at my old job and procured a new one!

A few weeks shy of 20 years at the old gig, worked in every department for a while, made it to management (twice,) tried to leave and came back (twice,) had a ton of fun, learned a lot. Over the past few weeks I slowly came to realize I'm almost out of headroom, and my future at the old job is filled with slight variations on things with which I am already accomplished and experienced. Not a lot of room for continued personal reward/growth.

I've had a couple juicy offers over the past few years, but didn't want to relocate or take a short-term pay cut to gamble on possible, but not assured long-term advancement.

New job starts tomorrow, more to follow once I have a bit of experience, but automotive-related, lots of potential, should have a fun/stoked/upbeat atmosphere like the one I enjoyed at the old gig, friendlier hours, less exposure to the public, and a similar compensation package! It was an unadvertised position (but a real need) and something I proudly finagled through networking...Yay! 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/10/22 9:37 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

I'm in sales.  I'm stuck here forever.  I'd like to do more but it might come with less pay, so who wants that.  

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/10/22 9:48 p.m.

I found out today that the USPS is doing a stamp to honor a lady I took a scuba trip with once a long time ago!

https://today.umd.edu/umds-shark-lady-to-be-honored-with-u-s-postage-stamp

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Don't short sell yourself! Good salespeople certainly have some transferable skills; and for some folks, sales provides the means *and* the reward. If you're not in the latter group, the hard part about potential change is comparing the apples of sales-commission-based pay to the oranges of something else. I don't have much in terms of words of wisdom, except, what sort of better sales gigs might be out there, and don't be afraid to shoot for the moon in terms of making a change. Your current sales-volume-based pay could be a detriment, or could be a leverage tool depending upon how you spin it. Look at (and ask about) the total compensation package in line with your current job, anything less isn't fair to yourself...and if it can't match up...there's your answer...for now...but don't stop periodically re-evaluating if you aren't personally satisfied.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/10/22 9:57 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for the advice. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/10/22 10:15 p.m.

Hellspawn loves WRC.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
1/11/22 8:27 a.m.
Duke said:

When I was about 10 I'd made friends with the new kid in class and went over to his place for a sleepover. His parents were going at it like they were going to kill each other. Enough so, and I was used to my own parents fighting, that I decided not to stay the night. When I asked him, do they always fight like that? No, he says, only when they hang wallpaper.

Some things you never forget.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/11/22 9:27 a.m.

Instead of just leering at my wife (a most enjoyable past time) while she did yoga this morning, I joined in for the first time. While I'm not going to say I'm ready to buy my own mat (living room rug was fine for me), but after all the popping and cracking from my 44 year old bones it actually felt pretty good afterwards. I've got back problems that put me out of commission sometimes that no medicine can touch. Maybe this yoga stuff could help with that.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/22 10:07 a.m.
Karacticus said:

I found out today that the USPS is doing a stamp to honor a lady I took a scuba trip with once a long time ago!

https://today.umd.edu/umds-shark-lady-to-be-honored-with-u-s-postage-stamp

I got Eugenie Clark's book at the Scholastic Book Fair when I was in elementary school. I immediately considered her one of my heroes. This was a very long time ago.  It took me a long time to figure out why some of my female teachers were pleased as hell whenever that came up.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/11/22 10:17 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Too bad none of my (female) teachers ever asked me about airplanes. I would have told them everything I knew about Amelia Earhart's red Lockkeed Vega.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/11/22 10:23 a.m.
Mr. Peabody said:
Duke said:

When I was about 10 I'd made friends with the new kid in class and went over to his place for a sleepover. His parents were going at it like they were going to kill each other. Enough so, and I was used to my own parents fighting, that I decided not to stay the night. When I asked him, do they always fight like that? No, he says, only when they hang wallpaper.

NO HANG WALLPAPER.

ONLY REMOVE.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/22 11:00 a.m.

In reply to slefain :

I've been doing it on and off for about a year and it is helping keep my fat ass from hurting too much 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/11/22 11:27 a.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

In 1987 it was acceptable to hang wallpaper so wifey and I did an accent wall in our bedroom.   

Somebody called it "divorce paper".

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/11/22 11:40 a.m.

We just found out that since they closed our office in October, we are now eligible for an extra $50/month to go toward our broadband connection at the house. Still only covers about 40% of the cost, but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/12/22 8:27 a.m.

A reminder of the small peacfull things...  

I dropped my daughter off at school and then went across the road to the local beach/park to overlook Lake Erie and finish my coffee.  What I see is SIX bald eagles in the trees and flying around.  Pretty cool.  The ole phone is overworked and doesn't do justice but...

Two eagles in the left red zone (hard to see in crappy photo) and 4 eagles in the right zone (but looks like 3 as one eagle is blocked in the photo by another eagle.) 

1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 ... 292

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z2bVlFhtGz6sZKkMcXh95MSXoCZF1DRyD0zuoY3taMnvNyT1itdzmoCt6rwkrXZ6