1 ... 209 210 211 212 213 ... 291
Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/28/22 5:06 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

We visited Newgrange when we were in Ireland (which was awesome); it's nothing like your caves as an adventure/hike/etc, but it does provide the "in a confined space in the dark with a crowd" thing.

The guide first asked if there was anybody who was claustrophobic or afraid of being in the dark in the group.

Then added "If you discover that you are claustrophobic, do not run."

Apparently they regularly get people having something of a panic and clocking themselves on the various obstacles to walking...

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/28/22 6:51 p.m.

I just ordered the most expensive guitar I've ever bought. I'm usually very cheap about guitars and have used sub $500, even sub $200 guitars for years.

This one was not that, but damn am I excited

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/28/22 7:36 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

That's beautiful!

My main takeaway from the Young vs Rogan scuffle was that I want Neil's blue flame maple Les Paul.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/22 12:49 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

That's beautiful!

My main takeaway from the Young vs Rogan scuffle was that I want Neil's blue flame maple Les Paul.

Thank you, I can't wait to get my hands on it 

Ive only seen his black Les Paul, blue flame is always great though.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
1/29/22 11:08 a.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:

1: wife continues to be an enabler. Sent her a 280z project because I know I want to get into one, and she asked me when I was buying it, and offered for me to use "our" money instead of mine for it.

A week later, she's helping me hash out how to do a 30hr roundtrip drive for a well-priced, good condition titled project out of Texas. Yeah, she's still the one.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/29/22 6:28 p.m.

I suppose I'll put this here.  The crapbox miata has a new top.   What a complete pain in the ass job this is!  Not entirely done yet (gotta adjust a bit and refit the weather stripping) but it's getting close to being a real car again.  And soon the Fiero is coming home so I need to free up the garage space.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/22 7:13 p.m.

I got my lelts certificate without exam!

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
1/30/22 12:40 p.m.

On vacation.  Today is excellent. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/31/22 9:11 a.m.

So not a normal win here, but not sure where else to put it: Had an interview just now that lasted all of 5 minutes. First thing the recruiter talked about was the salary range. It was below my floor, so it was really nice to get that out of the way and not waste any time for either of us. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/31/22 3:10 p.m.

Gonna be a busy year, which is good when you are self employed.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody MegaDork
1/31/22 4:42 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

That's a good recruiter. I once applied for a job at a major steel company well known for paying top rates. Passed the phone interview, then sat through an hour and a half long grilling by a round table of department managers, only to be told after that the pay was $10k below the minimum I would consider.

To her credit, the HR manager called a month later and asked why I wasn't interested.

It made me laugh that three years later when I was negotiating the rate at my current job, the HR girl quoted the rates at this steel company to defend her position. After I told her that story she gave in and gave me what I'd asked for.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/31/22 4:59 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

In reply to mtn :

That's a good recruiter. I once applied for a job at a major steel company well known for paying top rates. Passed the phone interview, then sat through an hour and a half long grilling by a round table of department managers, only to be told after that the pay was $10k below the minimum I would consider.

To her credit, the HR manager called a month later and asked why I wasn't interested.

It made me laugh that when I was negotiating the rate at my current job, the HR girl quoted the rates at this steel company to defend her position. After I told her that story she gave in and gave me what I'd asked for.

They're going to have a lot of trouble filling the role with the requirements they're looking for. I didn't get into any of that with her - not my problem - but I did tell her my current salary and my expected raise this year, both of which are above what they were offering. And this is a role they're promoting, but it just isn't a sexy role that a lot of people look for, and they're not a well known company at all, even in the industry. So the only people that would know of them are probably from their area... which is HCOL. 

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/1/22 12:04 a.m.

Managed to get customer Windows 2003 ?! machines running successfully in a modern virtualization platform...

on the 'minor rant' side of things... they are still running these systems in production. Sigh. At least this will get rid of the dependency on ancient hardware.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/1/22 1:54 p.m.

I'm being a guest on a podcast episode about the SCCA Xtreme Street classes tonight, and I wanted to do a quick read-through of the rules before then just to make sure I didn't foul anything up. Good thing the Xtreme Street rules are literally only two pages.

wae
wae PowerDork
2/1/22 2:35 p.m.

A couple weeks ago at bingo, we played a game that got a little fudged up.  I made a correction, declared the winner, and some lady was all pissed at me.  Basically it boiled down to the fact that it was a pulltab game that she thought should behave more like a bingo game.  It's a little complicated.  Anyway, she complained to the state regulator about it so they sent an auditor last night.

After explaining what I did and why, I was told that I did the exact right thing and she fired off an email to the complainer that I was right and she was wrong.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody MegaDork
2/1/22 5:06 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

What's even funnier is that after we worked it all out, and during conversation she mentioned that her husband worked at the steel plant. That's when it hit me. Her last name was the same as a kid I'd worked with a half dozen years ago... who left for an apprenticeship at the steel company. She'd asked him about me after my first interview and he told her to hire me. So I was already in and I didn't know it.

But I was going to post this win over the weekend. I got a review and an increase at 3 months. Last Friday was 6 months and I got a second review and second increase. In a move to attempt to keep talent, the owner of the company gave a 3% increase across the board in lieu of the profit sharing nobody got this year, due to the Covid disruptions. In total I've received a 10% increase in the last 6 months. And the regular increases are due in April.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
2/1/22 11:05 p.m.

Minor win: got snow tires mounted on the Camaro, so I can hopefully move the car around in my driveway/street around these big snow storms and not just spin out!

Minor loss: one of my used wheels has a crack on the inner lip (holds air) and I don't really want to put any miles on it :(

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/22 8:57 a.m.
NickD said:

I'm being a guest on a podcast episode about the SCCA Xtreme Street classes tonight, and I wanted to do a quick read-through of the rules before then just to make sure I didn't foul anything up. Good thing the Xtreme Street rules are literally only two pages.

You have a link to the podcast?  I'm interested in the XS class and I'd like to hear what was said.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/2/22 9:18 a.m.

Got on the air with WMMR's Preston and Steve this morning, so there's my 30 seconds of fame.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/2/22 9:38 a.m.
TVR Scott said:
NickD said:

You have a link to the podcast?  I'm interested in the XS class and I'd like to hear what was said.

We recorded it last night, so it has to be edited and uploaded. Probably next week is when it will release. But the series is Upstate New York Autocross and it'll be here

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/2/22 10:08 a.m.

Minor fail- the Disney cast party was delayed because it was freezing and raining the night we were supposed to go. 

Minor win- they'll reschedule.....and I just got a phone call. Apparently, I get a test stay on the galactic star cruiser in two weeks. Like...the 6 grand a person stay star wars thing. Sometimes the mouse provides. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
2/2/22 5:25 p.m.

Surgery ain't great, but I woke up and I'm home same day. Sore AF though. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/2/22 5:38 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Surgery ain't great, but I woke up and I'm home same day. Sore AF though. 

Surgery? I hope all is well.

Also, I like the name change wink yes

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
2/2/22 5:46 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

As well as could be hoped. I'm in less pain than I was pre-op and doing pretty well. As for the name change, at least structurally, I'm part cobalt/chromium now. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/22 6:15 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Sarah Connor ain't here, man.

1 ... 209 210 211 212 213 ... 291

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2kyRjtvptusE3TP6atD3gIUUFl4OoE05LvqI18AdZNFAWgJOt9WpKVw43psCJr4g