1 ... 223 224 225 226 227 ... 291
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/22 2:00 p.m.

Mama wanted separate wall switch controls for ceiling fan and light, so I had to replace the 14/2 from switch box to ceiling box with 14/3. Minor win: the original run wasn't stapled in place, so using the old to pull the new worked a treat.

Having open attic space above also helped.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
6/2/22 10:21 a.m.

Grilled up some seasoned carne asada last night, tossed it on toasted hoagie rolls, and melted pepperjack cheese over the top of it. 

ReconKids all wanted seconds...

Southwest cheesesteak for the motherberkeleying win!!!

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/3/22 11:30 p.m.

I'm watching The Orville premier with my family, drinking a special beer and drinking out of my new cool glass. Life is good, if even for this hour.

We started watching The Orville when my dad got home from the hospital so the show holds a special place in my heart. I got his favorite actor from the series to record a message for him for Xmas and he put a lot of effort into it and it greatly touched him. I'm a lifelong Peter Macon fan now

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/4/22 8:58 a.m.

Submitted one resume. Got a call within an hour wanting to set up an interview.

I suspect it's for 2nd or 3rd shift production work that I'm not actually interested in, but it still feels good and bodes well for my prospects finding something that will be a good fit. There are other rapidly growing companies locally in this industry, and I'm sure they're also hurting for people with my skills and experience.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/4/22 4:24 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

Submitted one resume. Got a call within an hour wanting to set up an interview.

I suspect it's for 2nd or 3rd shift production work that I'm not actually interested in, but it still feels good and bodes well for my prospects finding something that will be a good fit. There are other rapidly growing companies locally in this industry, and I'm sure they're also hurting for people with my skills and experience.

That's great!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/5/22 11:46 a.m.

Took my motor scooter out for a ride for the first time in years, in preparation for selling it.  Could use some carb tuning, but I had forgotten how much I like riding.  Still too nervous to go out there and deal with all the cell phone zombies and aggressive drivers.  Might be setting aside some money for a Trail 125 and a hitch rack, though, once I have something that could haul it to an off road park.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/6/22 6:12 p.m.

Apparently I am recovered from my [hamstring or lower back] injury in December.

Went smoothly from recovery program to setting a new PR on squats today... and then cranking out 3 reps!

Previous 1 rep max on squats was 360. Did 350 for 3, and decided to go for 365 for E36 M3s and giggles. Promptly cranked out 3 reps at 365.

My deadlift is now feeling slightly weaker than my squats (also 365 for 3, but felt tougher), but I think that's because I'm still protecting my lower back. Not exactly sure what the injury was. At first I thought it was a pulled hamstring, but it took months without getting better. Seemed to have more likely been a verterbra slipping out of alignment and causing a sciatica-like nerve pinch shooting down my left leg.

wae
wae PowerDork
6/6/22 6:15 p.m.

My daughter was just offered and accepted her first job!  She's going to be working in the cafe of the local aquarium.  It's not a lot of money, but that aquarium is owned by Dolly Parton's organization which is supposed to have a really good college tuition program.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/6/22 6:19 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Dolly parton is one of the few celebrities I'd take at face value. It's hard to argue with giving away 100+mil books so kids can read. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/7/22 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Excellent.

My oldest finally got his ship dates for Air Force basic training.  He is joining the Ohio Air Guard, getting IT training and my wife and I are off the hook for college tuition.  

SpeedwayFan
SpeedwayFan New Reader
6/7/22 10:42 a.m.

I woke up this morning

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
6/7/22 11:49 p.m.

We had some church friends over to have dinner and chat with us tonight.  This Memorial Day was a hard one for me, and I had mentioned as much in church, somewhat off-hand.

Anyways, friend's wife (also our ASL interpreter for my wife) asked last Sunday if I had lost a friend while in the service. I said I had, and she asked if she could know the name. I chuckled and asked her which name would she like? I then sent her a text with all my friends' names, and so she asked if we could get our families together, have dinner, and could I tell her their stories?

I accepted, and prepared myself mentally for awkward moments/questions and misplaced sympathy, since that is usually how it goes. Not this time. Angie and her husband were content to sit and just listen as I told stories. My friend's likes and dislikes, nicknames, how I served with them, what their jobs were, and any other bits I was willing to share. 

I was not pressured, nor was I felt sorry for. I was simply listened to, and asked occasional questions to give them more insight into my life as a combat veteran. It seems like it has been forever since someone just wanted to know what my buddies were like; and not because of some desire to know, but simply because she had deduced that those memories were precious to me. 

I have not felt so at peace for a very long time. That is a win for me.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/22 4:35 p.m.

Since breaking both my arms, I've been a bit depressed about how weak I got, and I've been avoiding the gym. It was a case of being illogical and knowing I was being a dumbass, but it was hard to shake.

Today I went to the gym and did my second workout of doing light weight, higher reps in the hopes of continuing my recovery instead of just doing cardio.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/8/22 5:33 p.m.

Figured out what Holley screwed up!

The efi is working well on the supercharged cuda. It may go hone this week, and i get paid. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/8/22 6:37 p.m.

Daughter #2, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.

And her Dad.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/8/22 7:34 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

There's something about your kid becoming a Dr or PhD.  I guess we did something right......

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/11/22 7:02 a.m.

WTF is that?

I was driving to work this morning, about 5am, and I see something on the road. An animal of some kind,  but like nothing I've ever seen before. I slow down, and go wide around, but can't figure out what it is. Curiosity gets the best of me and I do a U turn, go back ,and pull up slowly beside it, not getting too close. It's odd, with a bright red head, silver and gold colours, a brownish body, maybe some kind of bird, a baby wild turkey, perhaps, though I don't think they get the red colour until they're adult? It's about a third of the way in the road, moving oddly like maybe it's hurt. WTF is that thing? I'm almost afraid to find out it looks so odd.  Then I get close enough to see.

It's a tabby cat with an individual sized empty bag of bits and bites stuck on it's head. It must have been full on digging for crumbs, it couldn't have gotten any deeper in that bag if it tried, and it was a perfect fit. It's disoriented, scared and afraid to move because it doesn't know where it is. As I sneak up it senses that I'm there and tries to take off, but has no sense of direction and stops. I try to talk to it, but it's scared. So I sneak up quietly, line it up, and with cat like reflexes (!) grab that bag and pull it off it's head. It doesn't take the time to thank me, it scurries off into the bush like it's ass is on fire, and it's gone. 

I'm posting on behalf of the kitty. That was a fairly decent win for a Saturday morning   

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/13/22 12:39 p.m.

Drove Supra to work today after putting track pads in for a weekend at High Plains Raceway. 

Checked brakes with infrared thermometer on arriving.  Both fronts at ~95F, passenger rear at  something like 130F, driver's rear at 350F!  

Win is that I both did the shake down and check and that I have time to fix before I leave Wednesday evening. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/14/22 1:04 a.m.

Looks like Me and the boy are over the hump. Congestion, of course, but not insurmountable. SWMBO's peaked tonight (I think) so I think we'll live.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/22 7:23 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Good to hear.  Adults getting illnesses is one thing but it always hurts in the feels-zone when little kids do.  I have been a bit worried over here...

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
6/14/22 9:32 p.m.

I finally went down and exercised at the new park the city just finished upgrading!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/14/22 11:24 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

You have no idea. I was making deals with deities that may or may not exist. If they come to collect,  it will still be worth it.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/22 2:30 p.m.

In my return to the gym post-injury, I'm making slow but steady progress.

Considering one of my main forms of therapy is converting mental issues into physical exercise, this is a good thing.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/15/22 3:03 p.m.

Major win: Moderna has been unanimously approved for 6 month to 6 year olds, finally giving the last age group an option and giving us parents who have been worried sick as the country gave up on our kids a breath of fresh air. Pfizer vote coming soon. 

EDIT: Pfizer also unanimously approved. This relief that I'm feeling is incredible. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/15/22 4:04 p.m.

My boss has started turning any classic cars away if they want anything more than a state inspection or an oil change. "Nope, sorry, we're not a hot rod shop, go elsewhere."

1 ... 223 224 225 226 227 ... 291

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gtUsp3uawzKsMkYHqZliYtp4O93aVWOUPCrqhXOB3SYf3Xj12Wb4U8kdwcHboaBr