1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 ... 291
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/2/18 1:53 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

Tier 1 SATCOM Support thingie job?  Military?  In my mind, having no idea I think you’ll be doing this for a job. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/2/18 4:09 p.m.
kazoospec said:

In reply to mtn :

Close.  Parathyroidectomy.  

Cool. My wife has a cool scar there too, she had a left-hemithyroidectomy. 

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/18 6:22 p.m.

I think this means I'm finally an adult. Spent money on taking care of my tools rather than more tools. Really, it was one of those nice purchases where the missus and I were both excited about the same thing.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/2/18 7:31 p.m.
kazoospec said:

In reply to mtn :

Close.  Parathyroidectomy.  

Nope. That's ninja knife fight in an alleyway. It's gotta work better than the truth. It would make a better story, anyway.  wink

wae
wae SuperDork
12/3/18 6:26 p.m.

Before bringing the tree inside, I basically just eyeballed it and made my cut on the trunk.

Like a glove

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/18 7:29 p.m.

Old and busted:

Came home to find this on the counter...

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/3/18 9:52 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Haha, being a scope watcher (radar tech) would at least make me sound cool.

This is like tech support for high speed military people and their tactical satellite terminals.

Tier 1 means the lowest level of tech support. Tier 2 is the subject matter experts. Next level is the system engineers (Tier 3?).

It's closer to this than anything:

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/4/18 6:51 a.m.
kazoospec said:

Picked up a new scar and a story today.  Scar is right across my neck.  If asked, the story will be, "Some dude in a mask cut my throat, I lost consciousness, but I didn't die".  Only if asked will I add that he looked something like this:  

EDIT:  I can also add: "To make matters worse, two women stabbed me 5 times."  Of course, they were nurses trying to start an IV.

So what's the rest of the story?  What were the symptoms leading up to the diagnosis?  What do they say will be the lasting effects?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/4/18 7:18 a.m.

I got the Sidekick clutch working last night! So much frustration gone. Just wiped away.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/4/18 8:10 a.m.

After over a month of false starts in getting the Dancer's new computer- a previous-generation Mac Mini- hooked up and everything transferred over, the new monitor showed up yesterday and while she was away teaching in the evening I swapped the new computer in and got everything hooked up and running, and even essentially got it back to having all the things running that the old computer had up when I shut it down. I then had to head out and pick up our dinner and should have gotten back before she did, but got a call from her a few minutes before I got to the restaurant to pick up the food that her class had gone short and she was headed for home so she'd beat me home by at least a few minutes.

The win: When I got home she was sitting at her desk working on something at the computer without a word of complaint or comment to me about it beyond a 'Wow, this thing is huge...' at the new 27-inch monitor. In the 12 hours since, she's had exactly two questions/complaints about it: she needed me to show her how to increase the zoom on the word processor so the page would fill the screen, and wanted me to keep it from asking for a password every time the screen locked (from the standpoint of basic IT security doing so pained me, but at the same time it's not like it the computer will likely ever leave the house...).

I expect there will be more questions as she does more... but on the whole this has been the least griping I've seen from her regarding any new piece of technology/upgrade to existing one that I've seen yet...

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
12/4/18 8:57 a.m.
TVR Scott said:
kazoospec said:

Picked up a new scar and a story today.  Scar is right across my neck.  If asked, the story will be, "Some dude in a mask cut my throat, I lost consciousness, but I didn't die".  Only if asked will I add that he looked something like this:  

EDIT:  I can also add: "To make matters worse, two women stabbed me 5 times."  Of course, they were nurses trying to start an IV.

So what's the rest of the story?  What were the symptoms leading up to the diagnosis?  What do they say will be the lasting effects?

Symptoms were basically generally feeling like crap.  The cause is an over-active parathyroid, which, if I understand it correctly, is a complex of glands that regulates the body's use and processing of calcium.  Allegedly, the removal of the overactive gland(s) brings both the body's calcium level and the regulating hormone level back into the normal range.  If the surgery works as advertised, should help with fatigue, mental sharpness, joint/bone pain, sleep loss and a host of other things I've been noticing lately.  If it doesn't work, I've still got the cool scar.

TVR Scott
12/4/18 9:23 a.m.
kazoospec said:

Symptoms were basically generally feeling like crap.  The cause is an over-active parathyroid, which, if I understand it correctly, is a complex of glands that regulates the body's use and processing of calcium.  Allegedly, the removal of the overactive gland(s) brings both the body's calcium level and the regulating hormone level back into the normal range.  If the surgery works as advertised, should help with fatigue, mental sharpness, joint/bone pain, sleep loss and a host of other things I've been noticing lately.  If it doesn't work, I've still got the cool scar.

So was it just like a blood test or something that told them what was up?

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
12/4/18 9:34 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

The diagnostic is a blood test result.  The tip-off is that both the body calcium level and the regulating hormone level are both high.  That shouldn't happen.  If the hormone level is high, it should be because the body calcium level is low and the glands are trying to make to body process more calcium.  I'm honestly not sure whether it is the elevated calcium level or elevated hormone level (or both) that causes the physical issues. 

TVR Scott
12/4/18 10:10 a.m.
kazoospec said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

The diagnostic is a blood test result.  The tip-off is that both the body calcium level and the regulating hormone level are both high.  That shouldn't happen.  If the hormone level is high, it should be because the body calcium level is low and the glands are trying to make to body process more calcium.  I'm honestly not sure whether it is the elevated calcium level or elevated hormone level (or both) that causes the physical issues. 

Good luck!  I hope it works out as advertised.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/4/18 10:22 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Why am I imagining you looking at an unruly defendant and asking them where they think you got this scar on your neck?

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/4/18 2:02 p.m.

Wednesday has been declared a federal holiday.  Since I’m a “critical employee” that means double time pay.  I’ll take it.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/4/18 2:21 p.m.

The tailgate latches on my new to me 07 F250 are toast. I couldn't get the tailgate open on Sunday. I removed the inspection panel and found 2 things: One is the plastic rod retainer thingy had broke, so the handle was only pulling one latch. The other was that the passenger side catch had broke so it did not latch closed.

I fixed the first issue with a strategically place zip tie.

The second issue I ordered a Dorman tailgate latch through work. I was not impressed with the quality - poorly stamped with lots of slop.

The win is that I scored 2 NIB Ford tailgate latches on eBay for $11 each with free shipping vs the $26 (my cost!) POS Dorman replacement.

Knurled.
12/5/18 6:25 p.m.

I quantified that my drive to work is exactly one "For Whom the Bell Tolls - Creeping Death - Call of Ktulu" long.

And that, even though the actual CD was almost old enough to drive the car it was playing in when the car was manufactured*, the music still stands strong.  Minor win indeed.

*  Car was manufactured in very late 2005.  I got the CD for Christmas in 1993, so let's fudge some numbers because come on, like you couldn't drive a car when you were 12.  Bonus minor win:  I got the album as a present, along with the other two first three Metallica albums, along with books of sheet music, and the LS:B&P VHS set, because she overheard that there was that one Metallica song that I liked.  (Which wasn't on any of those albums, and I still feel shame at liking the song that I liked at the time)  It was also somewhere around this time that she didn't mind if I kept her electric guitar and bass in my room for, uh, space reasons or something.  Probably coincident with the books of sheet music...

NickD
NickD UberDork
12/6/18 10:26 a.m.

Got a raise at work today. Visions of Fox Racing coilovers dance in my head.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
12/6/18 12:29 p.m.

As I was surfing the insurance sales website last week, I discovered, first, that Nissan made an Altima SER in 2005.  Second, I immediately discovered that I really needed a 2005 Nissan Altima SER.  This morning, I discovered that $805 cdn will buy a 2005 Nissan Altima SER with body damage that I have the parts to repair here.

I look forward to discovering how well Nissan can route 260 horsepower through the front wheels.laugh

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
12/6/18 1:51 p.m.

I just figured out the piston/ rod/ machine work combination that should let me rebuild the 3.9L Bitter SC shortblock in my shop for under $200 in parts. Going to swing by the machine shop after work and check out how much for machine work.

Edit: under $400 for the machine work too.  This is totally going to happen!

Knurled.
12/6/18 4:29 p.m.

In reply to oldopelguy :

Bitter.  Now there's a name I have not heard in a long time!

Mind you, I cannot PLACE it...

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
12/6/18 4:41 p.m.

There's one that shows up at cars and coffee out here fairly regularly. 

Unfortunately I only have a picture of it in the background of this shot of a slant nose...

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/6/18 4:46 p.m.

20 highway miles in the truck tonight. With no carpet, headliner, Door panels, etc. Only drivers seat, and the sound deadening and insulation about 2/3 complete. 

Its already quieter than it was before I started. This thing is gonna be quieter than the e39 when i get done. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
12/6/18 5:09 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

The Bitter SC was based on the Opel Senator, the chassis that eventually became the Catera and then the CTS. That is significant because the 3.9L motor in my shop is really a Mantzel stroked version of the Opel 3L CIH-6, which is an update and direct replacement for the 2.8L CIH-6 that came in my '67 Opel Admiral.  It should be good for 200-250hp, up from the 100hp the 2700# car originally came with, and that should be a lot of fun. 

1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 ... 291

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fIRTqRJc00wMwK2TZZYfzC64NHE8bJDZZUnvQseIW0XQ4wo87ikUfN8ziQZi1fIq