914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
8/6/08 2:48 p.m.

Make the kids look away.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/1003/914Dan/?action=view&current=Canadian_Sniper_Units_in_Afghanista.flv

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
8/6/08 3:19 p.m.

should use a smaller round next time. I dont think much meat is left on those rabbits after they get hit.

grtechguy
grtechguy SuperDork
8/6/08 3:27 p.m.

cool.......can I try?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/6/08 3:40 p.m.

chunky

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/6/08 3:47 p.m.

I saw one of those Barret 50's before they were type-accepted. I asked the guy how far out he could reach out and touch someone. He said on a calm, cool day he got 12" groups at a mile and a half shooting armor piercing ammo because it was more accurate.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
8/6/08 3:52 p.m.

There is a guy that use to make custom loads for the .50 cal rifles out this way. One day I was looking at them and he had one where the actual bullet was solid brass

He had one that had been fired and retrieved and the thing had curved into a "U". He said that it had passed through a bull elk, two cow elk and buried itself into a tree (hence the retrieval)...Not sure I believed that but I sure as heck wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
8/6/08 4:04 p.m.

My flight instructor used to be in the Navy. I guess they used to expend ammunition for some reason outside training, but not in battle. Either way, his friend was an Apache pilot. Apparently, the pilot met a moose and greeted the moose with his cannon. There wasn't much left of the moose.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/6/08 4:07 p.m.

They will use a solid brass bullet when the velocities are way up there, like 4-5K FPS. That ought to be a "flat shooter." As good as the 50 is (Thank God for John Moses Browning), they say that Lapua 338 Magnum is even better.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
8/6/08 5:30 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: They will use a solid brass bullet when the velocities are way up there, like 4-5K FPS. That ought to be a "flat shooter." As good as the 50 is (Thank God for John Moses Browning), they say that Lapua 338 Magnum is even better.

Yeah, but they rub 'em in garlic first.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
8/6/08 5:34 p.m.

Guy I used to hunt with wildcatted a .45-70 down to .270. Apparently, it can lift a groundhog out of it's burrow at 600m. Serious business...

I'm thinking those aren't .50 BMG. Not up to snuff on my Canuk weapons, though.

PHeller
PHeller New Reader
8/6/08 5:51 p.m.

Are they seriously shooting at rabbits? I couldn't tell.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/6/08 6:36 p.m.

those be humans...

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
8/6/08 7:14 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: those be humans...

Nahhh

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
8/6/08 7:50 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: My flight instructor used to be in the Navy. I guess they used to expend ammunition for some reason outside training, but not in battle. Either way, his friend was an Apache pilot. Apparently, the pilot met a moose and greeted the moose with his cannon. There wasn't much left of the moose.

An Army pal of mine who just came back from Iraq used to have to test-fire his M2 .50cal machine gun when he moved from the Green Zone to the Red Zone, which may be similar to what your flight instructor is talking about.

Similar story- same Army buddy was training on the Ma Deuce when a deer wandered onto the range. To paraphrase GTA: Vice City's in-game radio commercial: "You don't have to gut the deer when it's already been minced!"

PHeller
PHeller New Reader
8/7/08 8:10 a.m.

I wonder what their superiors would have to say about them just firing off ammunition.

Granted if your seeing a moose out in the middle of no-where, there isn't anyone around to see it, but still...

Who's to say those rounds didn't hit a guy inside the moose suit?

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
8/7/08 9:31 a.m.
PHeller wrote: I wonder what their superiors would have to say about them just firing off ammunition. Granted if your seeing a moose out in the middle of no-where, there isn't anyone around to see it, but still... Who's to say those rounds didn't hit a guy inside the moose suit?

I'm sure the guy in the suite wouldn't be the one doign the talking.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
8/7/08 11:09 a.m.

A buddy of mine used to say "there is nothing man-made and damn little god-made that a .50 cal won't berkely up".

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/7/08 11:33 a.m.

I would love a chance to fire a Barret .50 semi. I take it that one would make a fine elephant gun.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Reader
8/7/08 11:39 a.m.

Being retired military, I think the shooting of moose is slightly exadurated or they were lucky they didn't get caught. When I was stationed in Alaska a mortar team "fired for effect" to fine tune sighting and aimed at a buffalo. They got it dead on the first round, nothing left but a hole in the ground. The officer and NCO was sent to jail for killing a protected species.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LOel1XGoiF98UqOdUuNaPnCmqVTEnqmg9Lj3EeyhvtoKvkCNmFARUhR71MFQtjYq