poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
3/13/12 9:53 a.m.

So I've decided against going the full-on computer route. When it comes down to it, I'd need to buy a dedicated computer for that purpose, and that's a little too much scratch/hassle for me.

Anybody have anything to say one way or the other about a Tascam DP-01 or 2488? They're cheap as dirt on CL, probably because everyone's gone to computers.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
3/13/12 12:49 p.m.

I've only ever used computer-based stuff (ProTools, Mboxes etc) but most of those all-in-one recording devices are pretty decent as long as you're not recording something for the Top 40.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
3/13/12 1:00 p.m.

I've got experience with both, though the computer stuff was 10 years ago, and I was using Soundforge and Acid. Recorded lots of stuff on a little 424 portastudio before that. I like the "plug and play" aspect of the all-in-one deals. I figure if I get one of those, it's a $100-$200 investment, whereas the computer, interface, etc., would be a lot more, with a lot more hassle.

It's hard enough finding the time to play music. If the recording part isn't easy, I won't do it.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
3/13/12 1:06 p.m.

I've got an old Tascam 4 track Portastudio if you're interested in that I haven't used in a while. No complaints about it, and it was pretty easy to use. Been meaning to sell it and just not gotten around to it.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/13/12 2:01 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: It's hard enough finding the time to play music. If the recording part isn't easy, I won't do it.

That's exactly how I felt, and I was heading toward that same path. Then I got a Mac for work and tried GarageBand. Yeah, I know even used you'll be paying way more than $200, but it really does bring the fun back into it.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
3/14/12 11:11 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: I've got an old Tascam 4 track Portastudio if you're interested in that I haven't used in a while. No complaints about it, and it was pretty easy to use. Been meaning to sell it and just not gotten around to it.

Man, thank very much dude, but I'll probably go a little bigger, and "digi, bruh." The 424 is actually the first thing I ever recorded on. We did some decent stuff on that thing! Never got the mix-downs right though. Probably didn't help that I was 12

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
3/14/12 12:24 p.m.

You might want to look at something like the Zoom R8. It and its bigger brothers (R16, R24) are standalone digital recorders; but they also function as audio interfaces, so they can be used with a computer when you get frustrated with their inherent limitations.

-chris r.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/14/12 12:28 p.m.

Dorking out real fast and not answer any of your questions:

Tascam 688. Boom.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
3/14/12 12:31 p.m.

It doesn't take a whole lot of horsepower to run audio programs. You could do a really cheap budget build or pick up an old used computer from CL or something.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PYApC3iBvUStmbBwSoLonRHWx03xPz6QNpsr4BX0IeyKRjuQM4twslzhpkPnXRvg