fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
1/6/12 6:32 p.m.

yup, a repost of a recent Chevy truck brake line rot post/ thread... but can't locate it on search, so 'scuse me.

Got word today from mechanic my '02 Silverado 4X4 brake lines are rotting and look like a bundle of tubes w/ tree bark on 'em. Googles say this is a problem w/ this era truck. Very reputable shop, mechanic is a good kid and we speak the same mechanical language. I still need to see for myself to judge the severity and decide if I wanna put it off till warmer weather... not tonight tho, maybe tomorrow.

I can do the work, BTDT w/ a '90 F-150 end to end w/ a $50 flare tool and bender. The old F-150 had more access than the Chevy looks like it has. No solid surface to work on either unless I drag the '81 Chevy PU project outta the carport, then winter weather could become a problem... but it was damn near 60 today in SW Pa.

This is my winter vehicle (we been lucky so far w/ snow), I'm torn between chancing driving as is and waiting till warmer weather to save a few bucks or let the shop do all new lines for $700 and just be berkeleying done w/ it.

I'll be working 7 days/ week till who knows when. I'm torn 50/ 50 right now. My inner car guy says chance driving it and DIY, my responsible adult says be safe and work OT and let the shop do it.

What says GRMers?

Don49
Don49 Reader
1/6/12 6:41 p.m.

Listen to your responsible adult self. If you have to get on the brakes hard and a line pops, you probably won't be happy with the results.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
1/6/12 6:43 p.m.
Don49 wrote: Listen to your responsible adult self. If you have to get on the brakes hard and a line pops, you probably won't be happy with the results.

This happened to me once, with a rusty '71 Catalina. It was pretty thrilling.

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
1/6/12 7:20 p.m.
Don49 wrote: Listen to your responsible adult self. If you have to get on the brakes hard and a line pops, you probably won't be happy with the results.

one of the few times you'll get that kind of advice on this forum.... but it's good advice

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
1/6/12 7:30 p.m.

I would go here:

http://www.classictube.com/shop-online

Full set of stainless lines for a truck for $299. All flared, prebent, new fittings and will outlast the truck, in all likelihood.

Not only is that a great deal, they're also a supporter of our magazines.

at the very least, ask your shop to source the lines from there. We've used them a bunch of times and have yet to be less than thrilled.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
1/6/12 8:01 p.m.

In reply to Per Schroeder:

Thnx Per, CT has Stop Flex steel listed but can't find stainless yet, will hafta call 'em asap... will tell 'em GRM sent me.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/6/12 8:30 p.m.

There's a specific era where brake lines fail? :)

I think I installed 125 feet of brake line this week...

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/12 10:28 p.m.

in the salt mines of northeast ohio, all brake lines fail. some sooner than others, but my 90 3500 is on its 4th line to the rear.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hdn5KZWIkI7tA1Vpx22KFlYJ38WYtadbRTQsGZk7aWKv0R29ETfOj8NQmMr4nELC