1 2
BBsGarage
BBsGarage HalfDork
12/18/08 6:58 a.m.

I think this one goes a tad too far.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008812170435

EASTON, Pa. (AP) -- Three-year-old Adolf Hitler Campbell is cute, cuddly and, for now, blissfully unaware of the shock value conveyed by his first and middle names. That may be changing, though.

The youngster was at the center of a recent dispute between his parents and a local supermarket that refused to spell out his name on a cake for his birthday party last weekend. A story in a local newspaper prompted an outpouring of angry online responses directed at Heath Campbell, 35, and his wife Deborah, 25.

"I think people need to take their heads out of the cloud they've been in and start focusing on the future and not on the past," Heath Campbell said Tuesday in an interview conducted on the other side of the Delaware River from where the family lives in Hunterdon County, N.J.

"There's a new president and he says it's time for a change; well, then it's time for a change," he continued. "They need to accept a name. A name's a name. The kid isn't going to grow up and do what (Hitler) did."

Deborah Campbell said she phoned in her order last week to the ShopRite in Greenwich, just east of downtown Phillipsburg on the western edge of New Jersey. When she told the bakery department she wanted her son's name spelled out, she was told to talk to a supervisor, who denied the request.

Karen Meleta, a spokeswoman for ShopRite, said the Campbells had similar requests denied at the same store the last two years and said Heath Campbell previously had asked for a swastika to be included in the decoration.

"We reserve the right not to print anything on the cake that we deem to be inappropriate," Meleta said. "We considered this inappropriate."

who did not immediately return a phone message Tuesday. But spokeswoman Karen Meleta told The Easton Express-Times for Sunday's editions that the Campbells' request was considered inappropriate.

The Campbells ultimately got their cake inscribed at a Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania, Deborah Campbell said. About 12 people attended the birthday party on Sunday, including several children who were of mixed race, according to Heath Campbell.

"If we're so racist, then why would I have them come into my home?" he asked.

The Campbells' other two children also have unusual names: JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell turns 2 in a few months and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell will be 1 in April.

Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name." He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated.

Campbell said his ancestors are German and that he has lived his entire life in Hunterdon County. On Tuesday he wore a pair of black boots he said were worn by a German soldier during World War II.

He said he was raised not to avoid people of other races but not to mix with them socially or romantically either. But he said he would try to raise his children differently.

"Say he grows up and hangs out with black people. That's fine, I don't really care," he said. "That's his choice."

Luke
Luke Dork
12/18/08 7:30 a.m.

Way to make life hell for your kid. He better buddy up with Benito Mussolini Jones quick smart, as I suspect making other friends won't be an easy process.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
12/18/08 7:44 a.m.

Mixed race to them probably means part blue-eyed German, part brown-eyed German.

Plain and simple, these parents are attention whores.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
12/18/08 7:44 a.m.

Comedy GOLD! I freakin' blew milk out my nose when I got to the other kids... and I'm not even drinking milk.

The Campbells' other two children also have unusual names: JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell turns 2 in a few months and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell will be 1 in April.

Hahahahahaha! I picture a lot of homemade tattoos and maybe a pole dancing career in their future.

BBsGarage
BBsGarage HalfDork
12/18/08 7:52 a.m.

the dad wears ww2 german boots and has swastika's tattooed on his hands.

but he's not a racist.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/18/08 8:01 a.m.

Sound like my new coworker. every day, jack boots, white shirt, red suspenders, and he shaves his head. His first day was holoween, and I asked him if it was a costume. His responce, "No, I am a Skinhead, but I'm not racist"

I wonder why the person he most strongly dislikes in our department happens to be the African American girl.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
12/18/08 8:06 a.m.

I think I'm confused again. A racist is someone who hates a specific race. A Skinhead hates everybody, is that right?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/18/08 8:38 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: I wonder why the person he most strongly dislikes in our department happens to be the African American girl.

It's not racist, he just thinks she should be home baking a pie for her husband, the way God intended.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
12/18/08 10:40 a.m.
...."I think people need to take their heads out of the cloud they've been in and start focusing on the future and not on the past,"...

Ummm, yah, it's everyone else that is living in the past eh?

...The Campbells ultimately got their cake inscribed at a Wal-Mart...

No comment

..including several children who were of mixed race... "If we're so racist, then why would I have them come into my home?" he asked.

I am sure he lets his pets in the house also, doesn't mean he sees them as equals.

...Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell will be 1 in April...

They mean Himmler right? As in Heinrich.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
12/18/08 11:22 a.m.

The store DID say they refused the same request last year. The couple asked for a swastika on the kids birthday cake.

Call civil services,NOW

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
12/18/08 11:45 a.m.

He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated.

Riiiigggghhhtttt.......

I bet they have called around every store every year for a birthday cake, waiting for one to be denied and for the news to pick it up.

To quote.... somebody: "You have to have a license to drive, but any idiot can have a kid."

-Rob

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/18/08 11:48 a.m.

So what's going to happen when these kids become teenagers and decide to rebel against their parents?

aircooled
aircooled Dork
12/18/08 12:03 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote: To quote.... somebody: "You have to have a license to drive, but any idiot can have a kid." -Rob

Believe it or not that was Keanu Reeves in Parenthood (of course he was probably not the first to say it):

You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, to drive a car - hell, you even need a license to catch a fish. But they'll let any butt-reaming a#*hole be a father.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/18/08 12:05 p.m.

And you thought 'A Boy Named Sue' was bad.

My question, why did these mental defectives feel they had to hang this kind of crap on their kids?

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
12/18/08 12:17 p.m.

Further proof that Easton is the craziest town in PA...

914Driver
914Driver Dork
12/18/08 12:30 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: My question, why did these mental defectives feel they had to hang this kind of crap on their kids?

Crap?

I named my kid Ian, the Gaelic of John. He's Irish Catholic, schooled in the ways my wife and I decided would best prepare him for the outside world when we booted him at 18.

How am I, or you, so different than Mr. Campbell? You do what you do because of the way you were raised. Open doors for women, take your hat off inside, look people in the eye. He named his kids and brought them up into a lifestyle to which he believes. Look at some African-American communities. Would I name my deductions Koesha, Tawana or Kunta? Probably not, different culture.

Quite a few political threads going on recently, some emotional with members taking a "time out" because they get so upset, but I applaud Mr. Campbell for standing up and demanding his rights.

HE HAS A RIGHT TO BE A SKIN HEAD RACIST PIG IN THIS COUNTRY !!!

914Driver
914Driver Dork
12/18/08 12:32 p.m.

OK J-Man, just messing with you. The guy's an idiot and his kids should be taken away.

I just wanted to see what it felt like to be a Troll.

Dan

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/18/08 12:44 p.m.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/08 1:04 p.m.
Salanis wrote: So what's going to happen when these kids become teenagers and decide to rebel against their parents?

Maybe they'll become monks???

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
12/18/08 1:43 p.m.
Wally wrote:
neon4891 wrote: I wonder why the person he most strongly dislikes in our department happens to be the African American girl.
It's not racist, he just thinks she should be home baking a pie for her husband, the way God intended.

Wait, isn't that the way God intended it to be? runs and hides for cover

PeteWW
PeteWW New Reader
12/18/08 2:41 p.m.

Is this http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/dmilam1.html the dad?

aircooled
aircooled Dork
12/18/08 3:28 p.m.
Sarah Young
Sarah Young Editorial/Art Assistant
12/18/08 4:07 p.m.
PeteWW wrote: Is this http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/dmilam1.html the dad?

Holy E36 M3!

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
12/18/08 4:46 p.m.
His responce, "No, I am a Skinhead, but I'm not racist"

Not all skinheads are racist, FYI. Some are vehemently anti-racist. And keep in mind, like most things culturally "cool," the whole skin-head thing was copied from black folks (Jamaicans specifically.)

Doc_1
Doc_1 New Reader
12/19/08 7:54 p.m.

I just love stupid people. The entertainment value is so high! Just remember don't get to close....likely to get a little mud splashed on you.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6z6MC4aJPNKWDjm9hndDokteAFXV8hEVm2sKIHiISQs4EtofFsc4qiKnUkjA5lgz