1 2 3
wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
12/22/09 12:02 a.m.

10mm anything here, and usually something really useful at the time I need it.

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
12/22/09 12:18 a.m.

I think it's funny how you can make a good guess on what brand of car people drive by their responses in this thread

For me it's 10s and 14s, just like the other Toyota guys.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
12/22/09 1:05 a.m.

10's, 14's, and hammers. I go through times when I can't find small screwdrivers, and other times when I can't get rid of them all. The sockets and hammers never come back, though.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
12/22/09 1:09 a.m.

At my apartment, a flashlight with battery power. They're all at around 1/2 candle power right now. I think I can see the individual electrons pulse between the batteries and bulbs.

At my dad's place, the air compressor attachment to add air to tires.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
12/22/09 1:43 a.m.

Tape measures for me too. And then I find them all a once, and have many mire than I need. I even have a "measurement devices" draw in my cabinet, but I still lose them.

Joey

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/22/09 7:41 a.m.

10 & 13mm box wrenches. I always leave them on the workbench but they sneak under the hood to hitch rides or maybe escape. I've found a them in the driveway, on my street, and one managed to do 30 minutes around Summit Point and jump out just as I was parking. The rest must have made it to freedom.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/22/09 8:13 a.m.
GRTechguy said: Most common lost tools.

The one I need next.....

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/22/09 8:21 a.m.

While working in a race shop, I eventually concluded that Sharpie markers (or any permenant markers) are incredibly unstable and have a half life on the order of minutes or an hour.

They simply disappear.

Clem

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/22/09 8:22 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: 10 & 13mm box wrenches. I always leave them on the workbench but they sneak under the hood to hitch rides or maybe escape. I've found a them in the driveway, on my street, and one managed to do 30 minutes around Summit Point and jump out just as I was parking. The rest must have made it to freedom.

I see a pixar feature film looming: "Tools" or "A Tool's Life" or something

mel_horn
mel_horn Dork
12/22/09 8:54 a.m.

I must be on the tail end of the wormhole...I lose 10s and 13s, buy the replacements, then get the original lost tools back.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
12/22/09 9:23 a.m.

I never loose stuff. I'm still on every tool that I got in a big set when I was 10. For a while, they would disappear for a day or so, then come back when dad cleaned out his toolbox, and found extras. Now I wrap a piece of tape around every tool, so everyone knows they are mine.

Gary and Jere refer to my toolbox as god, and fear the day something doesn't get put back in exactly the right spot.

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
12/22/09 9:28 a.m.

Phillips head screw drivers. I have a drawer full of flat heads, but cannot keep track of their counter parts. I dunno.

10mm sockets, tape measures, and marking utensiles are pretty high on my list also.

madpanda
madpanda New Reader
12/22/09 9:46 a.m.

At work I have a 6ft adhesive backed tape measure permanently attached to the surface of my work bench. Also my coworker taught me to tape magnets to the side of sharpies and stick them to any vertical metal surface. It increases their half-life from a couple of hours to a couple of weeks, totaly worth the cost of the magnets when you finally lose them.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/09 10:04 a.m.
Stuc wrote: I think it's funny how you can make a good guess on what brand of car people drive by their responses in this thread For me it's 10s and 14s, just like the other Toyota guys.

I don't lose the tools I use all the time. If I lost my 10s and 14s, I'd be stopped. Or forced to work on one of the British cars. The ones you use all the times are the ones you always know where they are.

Sharpies, yes. They live with the tape measures in a parallel dimension. I have a special Sharpie bin in my shop. It's either overflowing or empty, there is no middle ground.

egnorant
egnorant Dork
12/22/09 10:09 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
GRTechguy said: Most common lost tools.
The one I need next.....

Or the one I just had!

EricM
EricM Dork
12/22/09 10:11 a.m.

While I was in the Navy the tools were check-out to you where you signed in blood. then everything was inventoried every day. There would be strip searches to find missing tools, cavity searches, the whole 9 yards.

Because of that, I have my tools specifiacly orginized. My children each have a tool box with tools from my mother's basement (she has hd two husbands pass away, each with their own assortment of harbor freight tools). the kids don't get to touch my stuff but can lose, break, hit each other with any of the stuff from grandma.

I have lost a tape measure. But the one I replaced it with has hung around.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
12/22/09 12:21 p.m.
egnorant wrote:
914Driver wrote:
GRTechguy said:Most common lost tools.
The one I need next.....
Or the one I just had!

This is the truth!!! I don't ever permenately lose tools. I always find them later when I don't need it. But I often can't find the one I need at the time. And I am anal about tools have their certain place to be stored at and I try to put them back where I got them everytime.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
12/22/09 12:47 p.m.

For me its the 10mm and the 12mm. I've lost all the good ones and now fill in with lower quality stuff (Sears Companion brand). I can't ever recall using a 13mm!

I also misplace my claw hammer quite often, but always find it eventually. A couple of days ago i found it under one of the plants in a flower bed. Then I remembered throwing it out the hole the gable vent had been in. Now that I think of it, I threw out a brreaker bar too.

ansonivan
ansonivan Reader
12/22/09 1:39 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: ON the other hand, I remember now that I lose 8mm sockets on Ridgelines and Pilots like it's my job. The Air filter box screws love to pop these off my electric drill and throw them somewhere into the engine bay abyss

You need a locking 1/4" drive extension, I picked up a few of these and my 10mm consumption dropped by half.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
12/22/09 2:01 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: Gary and Jere refer to my toolbox as god, and fear the day something doesn't get put back in exactly the right spot.

Funny you should mention that... when we would have tech-days at the garage for the MINI or Volvo clubs, I eventually got to the point where I asked people NOT to put tools away, but instead on a tray next to the box. It just made my life easier... rather than have them 'thinking' they were helping me out but instead driving me nuts as I searched for an hour looking for something that was 3" out of place...

Good point about Sharpies... especially the silver ones...

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
12/22/09 2:24 p.m.

Tape measures, electrical tape, and screw drivers. I don't know why, but those always come up missing.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
12/22/09 7:37 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I don't loose tools, I break them or throw them into the woods in a fit of anger.

+18362810 hahahaha.

porksboy
porksboy Dork
12/22/09 7:49 p.m.

I lost my huge Snap-on 1/2" drive ratchet that is about 18" long complete with 27mm socket. How did I loose something that damn big? This was 20+ years ago. I also lost a 3/8" Snap-on ratchet without a socket when I replaced the watter pump on my fathers truck. after the job I was missing the ratchet but all sockets were accounted for. What scares me is my old stuf has my social security number on them. Now when I have idle time in the shop I go thru drawers and gring the number off of tools.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/23/09 2:16 a.m.

I lost my 3/8" ratchet recently. I can't for the life of me figure out where it is and the worst thing is, that's the most important one

footinmouth
footinmouth GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/23/09 5:39 a.m.

One side has a sharp point the other side has a 90 degree sharp point . I have even looked at the ceiling for them . If tools are left in front of a mirror in your shop or work space they will get sucked in . I find tools on the road . Good ones !

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
moWFA5F5F6amxgrSR2EF9WWpkQNUrxtRe1Z5MdCh64mh21e1wkvQP93wLbWJMStd