benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
9/29/12 5:36 p.m.

I am looking to mount a 2" thick maple top to a workbench I've been working on. I thought about either gluing it to the bench or screwing it to the bench but don't really want to have to drill any holes if I don't have to. I even thought about using some sheet metal braces into the sides of the bench and top to hold them together. I want to be able to reverse the mount if I ever decide with minimal damage so I was thinking about a flush mount metal bracket with screw tab. The thing would basically work just like a c-clamp to hold the maple top to the bench, the only issue is I don't know if anyone makes what I am looking for. The overall thickness is right arond 4". I want to use the clamps to hold the pieces together then I can start mounting all my vises to the table.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciate!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
9/29/12 5:51 p.m.

I drilled the bottom of mine and attached with 2" lag bolts screwed through the bench base.

No holes on top.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/29/12 6:03 p.m.

I'd do what Grtechguy says, making sure to have oval holes and not crank the lag bolts down too tight, so the butcher block can change with the temperature and humidity without fighting with the metal frame.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
9/30/12 12:50 a.m.

Trying to do it without drilling holes but we'll see what happens. I am almost thinking about getting some C shaped beam then drill and tap a hole, Then I just screw a screw in until it seats into the bottom bench.

I just painted the bench smurf blue and castorated it. This is a bench I found on craigslist for 10$, a free maple top and some castors. I got a nice sheldon wood vise to install along with it. I'm pretty close to being done.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming!

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
9/30/12 1:01 a.m.

drywall or deck screws from the bottom ?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
9/30/12 8:05 a.m.

I was once given a length of a bowling alley lane that made a sweet workbench top.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
9/30/12 8:27 a.m.

I kinda like the lag screws up from the bottom, but barring that, how about flushing the top up with the workbench on at least one side, then slapping a long drilled plate (1/4" steel?) that is as wide as the two tops are thick, then shooting screws into the edge of both tops every 12" or so.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
9/30/12 11:38 a.m.

I lagged mine from the bottom - most butcher block maple tops have a good side and an other side, so the bottom is typically easily identifiable.

You don't need a ton of thread engagement - 5/8-3/4" is plenty if you fasten every 16".

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RZd5Q339hsxyW4JrgYNeVUIz7Xnz42fkXWIqvt1POlqimUwvkRJQGBQI16GpkvYw