1 2 3 4
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/15 9:34 a.m.

This is the first live-action TV series that's held my interest in a long, long time. Very interesting plot and the only technically accurate motion picture portrayal of hacking EVER so far.

People said Blackhat was technically accurate, which was true in relative terms, but I'd give it a C*, Mr. Robot gets an A. I'd give it an A+ if not for a few contrived and lucky situations which allowed things to work out nicely for Elliot. There's no other movie or TV show that I'd give higher than a C.

Anyway last episode is tonight. There have been some plot twists in the last couple episodes that would make M. Night Shyamalan jealous enough to tear his hair out and eat it. This should be interesting.

Edit: Here's hoping the storyline doesn't get T-boned by a crazy oblique Evangelion/Big-O type ending. Fingers crossed!

*(the program that can recover wiped data is pretty much pure magic, but is sort of similar to a real technique that worked on '80s hard drives. And the way he gets access to it is by running an attack on an NSA employee, at an NSA-controlled computer, in NSA HQ, that would only work on your grandmother and her poorly-maintained beige crapbox.)

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
8/26/15 9:53 a.m.

I have been catching up on that show on demand, its pretty good at least they use real tools like you say and not fake stuff. It's a little annoying how they name specific things to sound technical when in the real world no one would really point it out. Like the episode where they were talking about the raspberry pi or how they talked about kde vs gnome.

GameboyRMH
8/26/15 10:16 a.m.

I saw the KDE vs. Gnome talk as Tyrell trying to make small talk. I've seen plenty of real KDE vs Gnome arguments, but few IRL

The bigger problem with that conversation was suggesting that anyone l33t would be using a recent version of Gnome. They'd be running MATE instead

One of the most questionable things I saw was that fsociety was moving files to the RasPi with FTP instead of SCP or rsync over SSH. It could work, but it was a really bizarre choice considering the security and reliability (and perhaps speed) implications.

slowride
slowride HalfDork
8/26/15 11:06 a.m.

I'm watching it. I'm only 4 episodes in though. It's pretty much a revelation, considering it's on USA Network and has Christian Slater in it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/26/15 1:01 p.m.

I've heard that it is technically and graphically more accurate than almost anything else in the genre. It's just a shame that the kid in the trailers weirded me out so much that I don't think I could watch the show.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
8/26/15 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Duke: Haha. Wife and I said the same thing, Elliot looks like an alien. But then I kept seeing the previews and it actually looked intriguing. He plays the weird introvert character very well.

I am about 2 episodes behind, but been enjoying it a lot. One of the better shows on this year.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
8/26/15 3:51 p.m.

I know nothing about computers but I've been watching from the beginning.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
8/26/15 4:50 p.m.

"Mr. Robot"

Never heard of this show. Will have a gander to see what it is about.

GameboyRMH
8/26/15 6:18 p.m.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/26/entertainment/mr-robot-finale-pulled-virginia-feat-irpt/index.html?eref=rss_latest

NNNOOOOOOOOO!!!1

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
8/26/15 6:23 p.m.

Are the older episodes available for free anywhere online?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
8/26/15 7:13 p.m.

I don't get USA network, but can watch on Amazon for a price.

GameboyRMH
8/26/15 7:30 p.m.
jimbob_racing wrote: Are the older episodes available for free anywhere online?

All the ones that have aired are available for free online, but not legally

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/15 8:20 p.m.

As long as the computers don't make constant beeping noises as they search a database, I call it a win.

GameboyRMH
8/27/15 5:31 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: As long as the computers don't make constant beeping noises as they search a database, I call it a win.

TV show crimes would get solved a lot faster if they didn't waste all the world's bandwidth and processing power by displaying each face / fingerprint as the search runs.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/15 8:58 a.m.

But then how would they know it was actually searching?

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
8/27/15 9:22 a.m.

Not available in Ontario.

GameboyRMH
8/27/15 9:34 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Not available in Ontario.

I watched the first 3-4 episodes of it in Ontario, but I transferred them there through a secure connection

Each episode took about an hour to transfer. I could help you do the same

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
8/27/15 12:05 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
NOHOME wrote: Not available in Ontario.
I watched the first 3-4 episodes of it in Ontario, but I transferred them there through a secure connection Each episode took about an hour to transfer. I could help you do the same

Thanks for the offer. Fact is the less TV I have available, the more time I spend in the shop working on the Molvo.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
8/27/15 12:22 p.m.

I might have to check this show out.

GameboyRMH
9/2/15 8:22 a.m.

Last episode should show tonight. Might have to stay out of this thread until tomorrow night since I probably won't have time to watch it tonight.

GameboyRMH
9/3/15 8:59 a.m.

So there's gonna be a Season 2...could be interesting. Anyone notice who the asian guy in the post-credits scene is?

slowride
slowride HalfDork
9/3/15 10:12 a.m.

I need to catch up on this. Still not past ep. 4. Maybe this weekend.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
9/3/15 11:12 a.m.

will be watching finale tonight.

good news on season 2. I found season 1 one of the more enjoyable shows this summer.

slowride
slowride HalfDork
9/8/15 8:56 p.m.

Finished the season over the weekend. Without giving anything away, I will only say that it didn't end up at all where I thought it would, and I am looking forward to season 2.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
9/9/15 9:15 a.m.

It just started on Showtime in Ontario last friday at 10 pm. Totally hooked after the first show. The fact that the main actor can do the role to the point where he makes you uncomfortable tells you how good of an actor he is.

While the whole "Greatest Wealth Redistribution in History" plot is a bit thin, I am looking forward to the second show. I love how the Enron Logo has been re-purposed.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DHZ5IZaQFjBzUcNqkvn5d6sc97pwAti1pkRqu0a4JgYHe89yN6dgL6rwfvkF3aXX