1 2
noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/27/15 7:06 p.m.

If this is already being discussed please delete this post.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/craiglist-killings-first-court-appearance-autopsie/njxqC/

A very sad story, retired couple drives 200 miles to look at a 66 Mustang, only to be killed by the seller.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
1/27/15 7:19 p.m.

I read about this. My wife told me I'm never allowed to buy anything of Craigslist again.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
1/27/15 7:20 p.m.
nepa03focus wrote: I read about this. My wife told me I'm never allowed to buy anything of Craigslist again.

yeah, that's a totally logical response..

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
1/27/15 7:39 p.m.

That's local to me. Sad. Kid that they charged had a clean record, never been in trouble. Makes you wonder what happened. As I hear it he never even had the car. The deceased posted an ad searching for a 66 pony and the guy called them as I hear it. All seems very odd.

My wife said "that's why you always meet in a public, busy, neutral location."

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
1/27/15 7:54 p.m.

Several years ago some dirtbags from Tennessee (a husband and wife team) kidnapped and murdered a local couple for their Chevy Yukon. I don't remember if it was a craigslist ad or autotrader.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/27/15 7:56 p.m.

'66 Vert.

They could easily have been carrying $25K in cash.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/27/15 8:20 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: My wife said "that's why you always meet in a public, busy, neutral location."

She is smart Except not neutral. I choose unless it's obvious the seller isn't being creepy. Like when they say "meet me at my bank". I have gone to some stupid places alone with cash in the past though and never had an issue. Not anymore.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/27/15 10:21 p.m.

Always carry Craigslist protection...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/27/15 10:43 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Always carry Craigslist protection...

... where legal.

Unfortunately CA doesn't recognise an NV CCW permit, and most of the car shopping around here tends to happen over in CA.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
1/28/15 7:12 a.m.

or bring a friend when looking at a car, and if they dont try to murder you, you atleast have a second opinion on things

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/28/15 7:35 a.m.

I've been watching the story, frightening stuff.

johndej
johndej Reader
1/28/15 7:45 a.m.
edizzle89 wrote: or bring a friend when looking at a car, and if they dont try to murder you, you atleast have a second opinion on things

Yeah, can get an 2nd set of eyes on it, have some "back up", and able to drive it home if you choose to buy it then and there.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/28/15 8:13 a.m.

Cl attacks aren't new here. Less than a year ago a pregnant woman shot a man for the x box he was selling. I'm pretty surprised that couple wasn't more cautious after that. Next time I went to look at something we discussed how to approach the seller's house (vehicle not drivable) . We alooked up the address and mapped the ins and outs, checked to see if the property owners name matched the seller, made sure the house was t for sale.agrred when we arrived and first met the seller I would get out and meet him while she stayed in the car with it running and her phone in hand. also told him in advance we wouldn't have money with us that we would go to our bank and get it if we liked the car. Turned out it was a good guy selling the car (didn't buy it though)

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
1/28/15 9:16 a.m.

Terribly sorry for the couple. But this has nothing to do with Craigslist, Autotrader, for sale ad in a shop window, e-bay or anything else. The perp could just have easily posed as a hooker offering the couple a good time and robbed, shot and killed them.

I've never owned a weapon, nor do I intend too. If I'm not comfortable to go somewhere without a weapon, then I'm not going there at all.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/15 12:35 p.m.

^This. It could've happened in ancient Egypt with word-of-mouth and a mule instead of Craigslist and a Mustang.

...in fact I pretty much agree on both paragraphs.

madmallard
madmallard Dork
1/28/15 12:46 p.m.

this suspect... he had to have premeditated this, because even if he expected to rob them, he would have had to do it directly in a confrontation. I mean, there was no car to even use as a subterfuge. So its not like he was going to subtly escape into the nite with their monies.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/28/15 1:38 p.m.

He bought a burner phone. They tracked him down through it, although I did not see exactly how. There is just a lot of scum out there. Around here, there were some, ahh... business ladies advertising on CL first, then backpage. When the "client" showed up, the "business ladies" "friends" robbed them in the parking lot.

GameboyRMH
1/28/15 1:51 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: He bought a burner phone. They tracked him down through it, although I did not see exactly how.

Because not having your name tied to the phone's account is just a speedbump to the USA's digital panopticon.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/28/15 1:56 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

No, they're hard to track if you pay cash for them. Pretty easy to track if the moron uses a credit card.

GameboyRMH
1/28/15 2:04 p.m.

Sure, but then the telco has access to your CTT location data from the phone, not to mention all the metadata of the people you're calling and texting...not too hard to figure out who owns the phone from there, especially if you carry the phone alongside another one.

madmallard
madmallard Dork
1/28/15 2:08 p.m.

i think he still had it in his vicinity to be tied to him. from there, they got his call log...

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
1/28/15 2:22 p.m.

one of the more local PD's put out a statement. Please conduct transactions in their lobby or parking lot with an officer. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=737873072995172&id=115399721909180

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
1/28/15 3:04 p.m.

Wow, I guess that's one bonus for living where I do. More than once I've sold things on Craigslist by telling the buyer I'll leave it on the porch and to just put the cash in the mail box, and have bought at least one item the same way. Once the buyer even left some dog treats with the cash because she heard my dog inside, which is kind of surprising, because my dog sounds like a death machine when anyone unfamiliar steps foot on the porch.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
1/28/15 3:32 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: Wow, I guess that's one bonus for living where I do. More than once I've sold things on Craigslist by telling the buyer I'll leave it on the porch and to just put the cash in the mail box, and have bought at least one item the same way. Once the buyer even left some dog treats with the cash because she heard my dog inside, which is kind of surprising, because my dog sounds like a death machine when anyone unfamiliar steps foot on the porch.

you have much more trust in the average person then i do...

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/28/15 4:01 p.m.
nepa03focus wrote: I read about this. My wife told me I'm never allowed to buy anything of Craigslist again.

wife said same thing.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZhsUbZvq5HRnJNIMsFqk1NpEdGbvUn5GCseCi7XT2fUQIbEymHCDUKcGz2r4E3Sa