gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/23/21 7:03 p.m.

She even asked to do it. I was proud of how well she followed my instruction and she still has both of her feet and all ten toes. She did a great job too. Much better than my first time.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/21 8:49 p.m.

Enjoy the success while it lasts. Mine is due now and my 17yo has "forgotten" about it twice.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/23/21 9:31 p.m.

Half a path I told my kids.  

I have a road behind my house and a slight hill so the Korean 10 year old, 90 pound, skinny daughter wanted to learn so I had her cut the flat part by the road.  

Then me being the "white guy" as she calls me stood with my arms folded and pointed and gave direction.  

My guess is people driving by were thinking; look at that jerk making that  little girl cut the lawn.....

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/23/21 10:29 p.m.

I can't wait for this.

My 5 year old and 3 year daughters want to help me in the garage.  We all need more patience before that actually happens. 

They are totally gonna help me with my rx8 engine swap over the next few months so they have ownership and pride when it's done.  I need to figure out HOW they are gonna help.

Good work!

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
6/24/21 1:26 a.m.

I already want my kids to learn how. My wife said NO. It's not their job. It's mine or pay someone to do it. frown I ain't going to pay $65.00 to someone else to cut my grass. 

stroker
stroker UberDork
6/24/21 6:02 a.m.

Wait until she runs over a snake or a frog...  

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
6/24/21 7:12 a.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non :

Whaaaaaa?   Unless your kids are under 10 years old that's a scary stand for her to take.  Sounds like a serious conversation time.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/21 8:13 a.m.

so do it yourself and then buy yourself a $65 gift that your wife hates.  that's a weird hill to die on.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/24/21 8:40 a.m.

My 11 year old son wants to mow the yard, but still isn't heavy enough to not trip the seat sensor while putting on the brakes (lawn tractor).  Yard is kind of hilly with obstacles, so being able to stop is important. I let him drive it with the blade disengaged though for practice. He does trim the weeds though, I gave him is own weed whacker (plug-in). For now he thinks it is fun to lay waste to large patches of weeds around the garden. I'll take it while I can.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/24/21 8:45 a.m.

One of the few times my older sister mowed was during a fairly dry summer and it was just supposed to be a quick pass over the front yard to knock down the hardy weeds that were growing tall. When she was finished with that she headed to the backyard, dropped the deck low and mowed her initials into the middle of the yard which then burned themselves in for the rest of the summer lol.

I guess that's why Dad and I did most of the mowing...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/24/21 9:07 a.m.

You need to straighten your wife out.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/24/21 9:22 a.m.

Appleseed,  why'd you have a kid?

I need someone to mow my lawn in 10 years. laugh

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/24/21 9:30 a.m.

SkinnyKid1 has been doing ours since about that age, but now landed a job, so SkinnyKid2 has taken up the mowing, but his "gamer muscles" can't (yet) start the mower, so I have to be there to at least get him going....

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
6/24/21 9:36 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

I can't wait for this.

My 5 year old and 3 year daughters want to help me in the garage.  We all need more patience before that actually happens. 

They are totally gonna help me with my rx8 engine swap over the next few months so they have ownership and pride when it's done.  I need to figure out HOW they are gonna help.

Good work!

Tool/rag fetching. 

"Can you grab the 11/16 box end?" Helps develop reading skills (at least I'd like to think so lol)

I do this with my 4 year old cousin. He likes watching, and he likes helping clean up. Last time I did my brakes I had him fetch me clean rags and the flare wrenches.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
6/24/21 5:15 p.m.
slefain said:

My 11 year old son wants to mow the yard, but still isn't heavy enough to not trip the seat sensor while putting on the brakes (lawn tractor).  Yard is kind of hilly with obstacles, so being able to stop is important. I let him drive it with the blade disengaged though for practice. He does trim the weeds though, I gave him is own weed whacker (plug-in). For now he thinks it is fun to lay waste to large patches of weeds around the garden. I'll take it while I can.

I understand alot of people disagree with bypassing the seat sensor thingy. Some kids are ready to safely operate a mower before they are big enough to keep the sensor closed

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/21 5:33 p.m.
BlindPirate said:
slefain said:

I understand alot of people disagree with bypassing the seat sensor thingy. Some kids are ready to safely operate a mower before they are big enough to keep the sensor closed

At 11, I was running around the family farm in a 1962 Chevy C10. I disconnect the seat sensors on everything. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g4iIEPsPuM92yxusizuFBuOQ28iGd7RaW3wMjA17cqpFeQcKWFCrfqL3ZASNaLuR