AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
4/19/19 4:56 p.m.

Lilo is blind in one eye, built like a tank, and doesn't slow down for pain.  A month ago she ripped her skin about 4" on her blind side and I had no idea when or where it happened. The vet came in on a Saturday and stitched her up. A week ago she did it again. Again it was a Saturday evening all the vets in town were closed, but we have our vet's home number and he was gracious enough to take care of her - the nearest 24/7 vet is an hour drive away. That time I figured it was on a corner of my trailer. I cut tires and stuck them on the corners of my trailer to prevent it from happening again. I thought that running fast, she was cutting a corner too tight on her blind side.

Pic: Healed and last week's new

Today she did it again. Thank God the vet was still open when it happened. It is worse this time, a big avulsion with a little muscle involvement. I only knew it happened because she kept turning to lick her leg. probably best not to post the picture - lots of pulled back skin (about the size of my fist) and damaged meat.

I am sick just thinking of it and at a loss of what to do. She needs chainmail or I need to pad my whole yard. I found the point of impact when I got home from the vet; a long bolt at the gate for my driveway.

I don't expect solutions, but open to your suggestions or previous experience. I have always had multiple dogs and Never had this problem until Lilo. She came to us from the Humane Society about 6 months ago and after the first cut, we noticed some similar old scarring from her past. I just need to find a way to make it stop. After I click "Post", I'm going out to figure out what to do with that bolt and any others on the fence.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/19/19 5:15 p.m.

Do they always happen outside? You may want to consider some sort of protective dog sweater or something when she goes outside.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/19/19 5:57 p.m.

Much as new parents try to address "hazards" in the home, you can do something similar with the yard.  Any sharp corner, or exposed bolts as are on that fence should be cut off or covered with rubber tubing.  Pay particular attention to protruding metal, which is likely to do the most damage.  The best you can do is to make the area she runs in as safe as possible.  Hopefully you can limit the damage to hard bumps and prevent any more gashes.  Good luck.  Dogs need to be a little crazy and she needs to run.  Good luck!

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
4/19/19 6:43 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

... Any sharp corner, or exposed bolts as are on that fence should be cut off or covered with rubber tubing.  ...  Dogs need to be a little crazy and she needs to run.  Good luck!

I finished turning the bolt on the gate around the other way, along with the other bolts there. The rubber tubing is a great idea! She is the kind of dog that has energy to burn and our big fenced yard is great other than the obstacles she has found. Hopefully I can get ahead of it now.

The sweater is a good idea, but for her, not practical. When she had stitches before, we tried modifying some shirts to put on her and they were shredded within a few hours. I have seen video of a hog hunting dog that had actual armor. That sort of thing, -ballistic Kevlar, may work, but doesn't seem practical for yard play. Our last attempt was a harness, just to give a little feeling of restraint and possibly catch before she got hurt. She was wearing it today.

Pushrod
Pushrod New Reader
4/19/19 9:16 p.m.

Another thing that'll help if she gets another "owie" is some Arnica Montana in pill form. It's real cheap and can be found in any good health food store. It'll kickup her healing factor by about 3x. Plus it tastes sweet so she should like it... :) No side effects either. Also good to keep around the tool box if you get a scrape....

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
4/20/19 8:46 a.m.

Consulted with the missus on this one, she works with dogs professionally.

If this were a child with a vision problem, what would you do about it?

Sit down with the family and make a list of Lilo's lifestyle needs. Supervised exercise, dealing with boredom, managing environmental "uppers and downers". Once you're pretty sure you have a thorough list, evaluate how or if you can address most of them.

Option 1. Babyproof your yard. I cannot imagine the pain this will be. I've had dogs with good eyes skewer themselves on the most mundane things.

Option 2. Find something else to help her burn off energy, rather than run around like a maniac. Long hikes, jogging, teach her to run next to you on a bike, get into obedience/agility/dock-diving, etc. Swimming is a fantastic tool for wearing a dog out. FitPaw is also recommended; think doggy yoga/weightlifting. Kicks their ass, and all of ours (even the grumpy old pet dog) love it.

Option 2 is recommended option, far and away, although you'll probably want to do Option 1 also. As the other half of a professional dog handler, I understand the reluctance to adjusting your lifestyle and habits to fit needy dogs (we have 3 extremely high-energy working dogs and wife travels a lot, leaving me to deal with them). It sucks, it takes time away from other things, but it really is the best solution.

I will PM you with contact info. Mrs. InKansas is a wizard with dogs, and spends hours a day on the phone remotely diagnosing dog problems. Please feel free to give one of us a buzz.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/19 8:59 a.m.

Once again we see that there’s no subject  GRMers can’t address.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/20/19 9:22 a.m.
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/19 9:30 a.m.

How about a cable run?  My dog was a flight risk before, now he’s blind.  When we bought the house i gave him a 100’ cable with a 15’ lead so he had an unobstructed run of the entire backyard, when he was younger it kept him from taking off after squirrels and now that his eyes are gone it allows him to know as long as he’s hooked up he can safely run without plowing into things.  

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
4/20/19 10:15 a.m.

Thanks all. I picked her up from the vet's office this morning. The doc had to do some cut-and-stretch to put it back together this time. Over time I expect it will level back out. She is fine, but looking tired after a long night.

Now she has two large stitched up gashes and a third shaved spot, still growing out. It would make a great Halloween costume, "Frankenstein's Dog".  Had we only known this was going to happen, I would have named he Stitch instead of Lilo.

Today and for the next few days, I'll be child-proofing the whole yard. I'll give her a day or two to start the healing before we take walks, but I plan to get her on a regular routine instead of the occasional hike.

A cable run sounds like a good back-up plan, but with three other dogs free in the yard, it's not a first choice.

I'll probably be contacting Mrs InKansas after the holiday weekend for follow-up and long-term advice.

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
4/20/19 1:00 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

Something like one of these, modded up to fit the doggie, particularly on the right side where he gets his boo-boos:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/british-military-surplus-iniba-flak-vest-used?a=2150984

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/british-surplus-police-ballistic-vest-used?a=2184624

That got me thinking "Tactical Vest", not "Dog Sweater". I don't think I'll need the actual armor, but a heavy nylon should do. This one should be reasonably comfy, carry water and a drinking cup when we go out, and protect her sides without impeding her movement.

It will be here Monday with Prime.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/20/19 1:25 p.m.

I'd be reluctant to use a "vest" if she's unsupervised for long periods.  She might find a way to get it snagged on something that would immobilize her unless she could slip out of it.  As a protection for when you're with her, it would of course be fine.

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
4/20/19 2:42 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Good point, but normally if she is outside for long periods of time it's because I'm out with her. When I'm home she is always by me or laying near watching. If I turn around fast, I trip over her. I always have to close doors slowly so I don't shut them on her head.

Outside more than 10 minutes is supervised. Every time she has been hurt, I was out with her, working on a car. Unsupervised means inside and naked. Out in the dark or for a night walk they wear a NiteHowl glowing LED collar.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/19 3:08 p.m.

My dad has a dog with a blind eye that runs into stuff too, but not nearly as bad as that thankfully. 

Id recommend one of the neoprene dog hunting vests. They are sort of armored for being in the woods and the neoprene kinda stretches instead of rips.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/19 8:51 p.m.

I'm glad you're getting some good input. I'm better at sewing them up than coming up with something more innovative than what's already been discussed.

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
5/4/19 11:34 a.m.

Here's the update.

The more I looked at my yard, the more stuff I found that could be a hazard. There's an old water spigot that has not worked in the 15 years I've lived here, formerly used to water a garden in the lot across the street. It's funny how things can become invisible over time. I didn't notice it when I was childproofing the yard until my wife pointed it out. All the parts are seized together and it's too much work to dig it all out. I cut a hole in the bottom of a big pot, set it over the pipes, planted geraniums, and covered the rest with old leather gloves. Maybe a bit odd, but well within the bounds of what our neighbors have come to expect.

I am also fencing off half of the yard to keep her away from my trailer, parts car, and other hard to eliminate hazards.

It has been busy/crazy here for the last few weeks and we put the dogs in a kennel ("Pet Resort") a few times; Gambler 500 in Kansas last weekend and kitchen remodeling (switching the kitchen and the living room space). They seem to enjoy the vacation at the kennel and do well there. Lilo weighed in at the kennel for billing. 75-100 lbs is $25 a day and they weren't sure she was over 75. She actually weighs 89! All muscle, no fluff. Big, white Annabelle is 95 lbs, all fluff.

To and from the kennel with the pack: (*Pic reminds me, hoping to convince Mrs. AAZCD to swap the '03 Element to a newer Fit later this year.)

Lilo has not been allowed outside without a leash on since the last incident. We want her to run freely in the yard, but not until after the last cut is fully healed and we are sure the yard is safe for her.  I am happy with the vest that we got. Good coverage of her sides, not restrictive, but sturdy.

Lastly, things settled down a bit here and we finally contacted Mrs. InKansas. She is awesome, gave us some great info and advice and will be helping us with follow-up as we go forward.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/19 4:26 p.m.
psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/4/19 5:01 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Once again we see that there’s no subject  GRMers can’t address.

You're not kidding.  I asked ten or eleven years ago about our cat's incontinence when I was at my wit's end.  I got like three pages of commiseration and suggestions, and decided to tough it out.  FWIW, the cat made it another decade.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/4/19 5:19 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

I swear every time you post a pic of that little dog it gets my attention.....such a cute little pup!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dRz9Z7k1WHc0afyOticGYmqzjTlPRkfDIl8pyxiBKlJCqEW85zYA6L4tlnrFKjy7